The LFA Scene Manager for MAYA

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Niber
Gnoblar

Post by Niber »

Bringer of Darkness wrote:>>Great, they all work in theory and in the engine, I guess the only >>question then is if metaldev will make the exporter support these >>things.

Mhm, I guess you only need to setup your material script/pixel shader according to your needs, I am afraid no exporter can help you with this... :roll:
I don't understand, are you saying I need to code stuff? I do have a bit of OO programming skills in Visual C++, but I'm an Artist so compared to any of you guys my programming skills sucks.
Bringer of Darkness wrote:I can hardly imagine any script that would take care of UV generation - you need to correctly create UV mapping non-overlapping and splitted into as few pcs as possible, which is quite much more complicated than realizing via simple script... MR lightmap generation is more or less clicking on two buttons, so I guess any script would be misplaced here as well. Possibly, for combining the MR lightmap together with creating a correct material and assigning it to the terrain would be maybe worthy creating a special script, but well, I am not sure how often you are going to use this lightmap generation so the fastest way so far for a few scenes is to make it by hand..
Actually it is a matter of clicking 2 buttons :P
The Automatic UV layout script/button in Maya does perfect UV layouts for LM's.
It shouldn't be used for Diffuse UV maps becouse there it's better to do it by hand so you can share UV space and stuff,
but for LM's (that shouldn't overlap) making the UV is as simple as 1 button press, it is just that when you have 500 objects in your scene, it's a bit PITA to for each object for each export select, make UV, Render LM, Save LM. That what I meant my MEL-script would do.
Although I'm not saying it will be easy, I would rather want to only focus on the graphics on my demo-scene, but no engine and exporters support the things I desperatly need :(

Bringer of Darkness
Halfling

Post by Bringer of Darkness »

As for the coding - yes, shaders can only be hard coded, I am afraid there is no way anyone can help you.
On the other hand there is a plenty of free stuff out there and I am sure that with basic skills you will be able to make some simple general stuff according to your needs - I mean especially the multi-terrain layering...

As for MEL MR lightmap exoprt - I guess this is as easy as it could be if you say it can be done this way;-))), it can be only matter of two commands, so I believe we will make it earlier or later - I am currently making quite some changes in the export script, so perhaps I will do this thing as well.

Other question arises - how do you want to import exported scene to engine? This is not yet the common .scene format, so I am afraid you will need to code your own viewer/engine...

Niber
Gnoblar

Post by Niber »

Bringer of Darkness wrote: Other question arises - how do you want to import exported scene to engine? This is not yet the common .scene format, so I am afraid you will need to code your own viewer/engine...
Isn't that what metaldevs exporter is all about, or have I completly confused things? :?
The way I've understood it the official exporter (which I have tryied and works good) is only for objects, while metaldev is making a exporter for whole scenes/levels, plus there is another exporter being developed but are mainly for characters it seems.
Correct?

Bringer of Darkness
Halfling

Mhm, I guess you are a bit confused;-))

So, to summarize:
1. This *IS* scene exporter indeed. But it exports data to a normal, ASCII file, you need to create your own parser that picks up data from exported ASCII file into your viewer/engine.
2. If I have understood well, Metaldev is working to convert exported data to general .scene format, which can be viewed by .scene viewer (for example one which is mentioned about).

I hope clear?;-)

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

to regress:

thank you! you rock!

to niber:

i would like to keep the scene manager generic... all the functions you are asking about are already realities in ogre, but if you are intent in putting an automatic light mapper in a scene manager i think the best way would be to write another script that specifically writes the .material files that handle the multiple passes etc... and possibly integrate that into the scene manager later. (I need to focus on more basic things at the moment. Then look into extra features.)
You shouldnt worry too much tho... editing the .material is not hard at all.. much easier than writing OOP.

to everybody else:
k guys give me at least till sometime next week... ill be getting this thing ported to use .scene & thank you for your support :D

the_cX
Halfling

Post by the_cX »

keep up the good work. :)

Bringer of Darkness
Halfling

I have made quite some changes in the script so that it is completely dynamic, customized according to your needs from an initialization file.
It takes all attributes from an ini file where are all defined, so if you will need any attribute in the scene (like particle system name on locators, etc), you will simly add one definition line in the ini file and it works well:-)

Now I am testing if this one is working fine already. I will place that here, when sure it works fine... :oops:

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

hey guys,

regretless' compiled .scene viewer is a truncated file and is only of limited use, would someone be kind enough to provide me with their compiled .scene viewer?

also to anyone who can answer these questions:

-how in the .scene do you show that things are parented.. is it with the indentation?

-also what is the 'id' field for?
Last edited by metaldev on Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kentamanos
Minaton

Post by Kentamanos »

metaldev wrote: -how in the .scene do you show that things are parented.. is it with the indentation?
If you're talking about the XML file, indentation doesn't really matter. This isn't something unique to scene files, just XML in general. Usually child nodes get indented so it's easier to look at, but the fact that nodes are within other nodes is what controls parenting in XML.

In other words

Code: Select all

<parent>
    <child>something</child>
</parent>
Is the same thing as

Code: Select all

<parent><child>something</child></parent>
Etc...

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

Thank you guys for all your help!

im in the process of porting this thing use dotScene ... to anyone who may know, can someone tell me more about the:
  • trackTarget
    lookTarget
dotScene element types? to see if i can support them.

maxxoros
Greenskin

Post by maxxoros »

@metadev
I think before go further in complicated node ... an beta should be publish for testing most basic of .SCENE file, include:
-export .mesh file with zero co-ordinate
-export .material that include all material node
-export .scene file that have
-----mesh node
-----material node
-----co-ordinate
-----angle
-----scale
-----light
--------------
I think we should test these function first :)
-------------
Looking forward to hear from you soon...great metaldev :)

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

the script already does all the things you have listed. :P

so please someone help me know what:

trackTarget
lookTarget

are, and also what the ID tag on nodes and entities in the dotScene is used for. i have been looking for info, but haven't found anything conclusive :?

pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

Most info on the .scene format can be found on the forums. Particularly, here http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 3399#13399 in regards to the id being added. I'm not entirely sure what the use/benifit is.
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/

maxxoros
Greenskin

Post by maxxoros »

@metaldev: could you upload first version of mel that include these feature.. I am very excited and looking forward to seeing from you soon

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

im working on it now, its coming my friend :)

maxxoros
Greenskin

Post by maxxoros »

I am making some research on .scene lightmap and hope I could help you add this feature later

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

@maxxoros: lightmaps are already handled in the .material file

have you tried meshViewer? it may help you edit and test out .material files:
http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?option= ... t=category

maxxoros
Greenskin

Post by maxxoros »

yep, but a total lightmap for .scene file...after lighting in maya, we can export all of this to a .scene file include lightmap :)..so fun and Maya will be the most powerful editor.
---
we can make an integration of this feature not for so long :)

Bringer of Darkness
Halfling

Actualy I suppose it works in previous version also?:-)

I am sure that hardly any editor can be more powerful than Maya is, so the best choice;-)

maxxoros
Greenskin

Post by maxxoros »

lightmap generate in maya is researched and I think we should make an integration :)...light node will be exprired if we made this :)
----

maxxoros
Greenskin

Post by maxxoros »

agr, get 2 sleep ...
Find out a great mel for baking, but It is was created in 2001, too old and has some bug...fix now for maya 6 and available for make an integration. I am asking its author for allowing us to do this
-----------
Lighting all your scene with what kind you like with depthmap shadow and when you satisfy...just simple select what object you want to bake and press bake...everything will be bake now
take a look at this
shadow but no light, everything has become texture

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

maxxoros,

thanks for your interest man :)

baking textures and Lightmapping functions are too specific to include into the scene manager itself.

I think the best place for your scripts in relation to the scene manager is to integrate them yourself into the custom buttons i provide in the UI... I will give instructions on how to do this in the help file when i release the next version later today.

maxxoros
Greenskin

Post by maxxoros »

That s what I want :)...we will integrate this mel and make function: bake material become a feature of maya dotscene export script...light is solve now :)
=======
Um`, there are more function I want to add to this mel to make maya become great editor:
- environment node editor in maya
- heighmap or pagescene solution for the terrain
---------------------
Maybe we will add these feature in the next version
----
PS:first version on later today, oops, cant help waiting for it :)

metaldev
Orc Shaman

LFA SCENE MANAGER

Post by metaldev »

OK NEW VERSION FINALLY READY! :P

I have ported the scene manager to export .scene!!!!!!!!

please help me test, most likely there will be some problems.

You can download it --->HERE<---
Instructions on how to install are on my first post on this topic.

additional help and instructions can be found on this page that i created:
http://www.lfagames.com/help.htm

TODO:
-support for particles and particle systems
-support for cameras export
-other little stuff

When reporting any bug, please keep in mind i can't control precisely how your stuff displays in your app, i can only control the .scene file and exporting objects!

Finally, i will be out of town for a week so if i dont reply to stuff right away dont get discouraged.

and special thanks to Bringer of Darkness:
thanks to you i fixed:
-bug where sometimes not all meshes exported
-removed getNiceValue

enjoy! let me know of problems.

maxxoros
Greenskin

Post by maxxoros »

Ton of tests and can not view in OgreToolbox...I made a simple scene with two box and 1 light, everything work right except viewing in OgreToolbox
---
@metaldev: Could you post a sample scene that you can export and view in ogretoolbox, so we can base in it as a "ruler" for making scene in Maya