New 3dsMax Exporter dll information

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Lioric
Google Summer of Code Mentor

New 3dsMax Exporter dll information

Post by Lioric »

Hi mates

As i promised about the new 3dsMax exporter (not maxscripted, but a real 3dsmax plugin), i didnt have the time to look for it in the backup cds, so yesterday i wrote it again. I have not tested with other models/methods but with our modelers work/method, so here i will need testers who know what are they doing in max.

The plugin pack is very stable, and even i throwed some very detailed models with 50k to 200k polys in it and it handled very well, as i said i didnt have the time to test every posible scenario

Right now, the plugin is not intended for production work, please allow a few weeks to stabilize all in it and correct posible bugs

Some of the current features are (for reference):

Meshes
Multi/submeshes
Color vertex data
Alpha vertex data
Multi UV channels
Textures
Material exporter
normal material
mix material
blended material
Shell Material exporter
Multi textures
Supports the texture baker (render to texture) LightMaps
Texture Offset values
Tiling values
Tile/Mirror/Clamp
Rotation Offset
Export of full 3dsmax scene objects to individual .mesh files
Animation/Bones
Biped/Physique
Skin modifier (coded in but not tested, disabled until tested)
Creation of animation tracks TCB (requieres a modification in the engine, disabled until review of the dagon chages)
Interface to maxscript (exporter functions can be called via maxscript for customization)

Ogre Viewer inside max
the viewer can load other objects or a level, additional of the modeling object to precise positionate or modeling the max object
Interface to max script (ogre viewer functions can be called via maxscript for customization)
Supports any viewport/camera
Navigation inside the viewer
Can use the max mode-tools to navigate or use a fps camera control (keyb/mouse)
Interface to OgreWindow plugins, so game specific code can be added to the ogre viewer and make 3dsmax a customized game editor

Screenshots are always nice, so here they are:

i dont have any place to upload, if some web space can be provided to put the files, please message me

note: sorry for the delay, we are in the middle of changing all our machines to a in-house made linux based OS

Lioric
semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

That's very cool. This is going to increase the accurate work in 3DSMAX drastically.

WowWWW!!
Semicolon
"Nature is the mother of learning"
celic
Gnome

Post by celic »

stunning :o

that's what I looked for a long time :D
I'm waiting to see it in work

thanks, Lioric!!
NeLo
Halfling

Post by NeLo »

Good job ;)

I have webspace. If you want that I upload it, send me it to my e-mail.

Greetings.
Toudi
Gnoblar

Post by Toudi »

So what about the upload ? any links ?
ToudiSoftware 2005
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Hey, could Ogre admins let Lioric into ogreaddons? :)

@Lioric:
What version of max is it?
This really looks great! 8)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: New 3dsMax Exporter dll information

Post by DWORD »

Looks really nice! :)
Lioric wrote:(...)i didnt have the time to look for it in the backup cds, so yesterday i wrote it again.
You didn't write all that in one day, did you? :shock:
Night Elf
Halfling

Post by Night Elf »

I would be very interested in testing this plugin!

My development group and I are currently evaluating the possibility of adopting OGRE and this would be very interesting tool to have. (I'm affraid the current max tools are not exactly what we need.)

The modelers have been working in 3DS Max for quite a few years (using several .X exporters for a DirectX-based engine we have,) so I'm sure they know their way around Max.

So if you'd like us to test it, just email me the plugin (oniric-games at speedy dot com dot ar.)
Mariano Ruggiero // Follow me on Twitter (@ArtCoder) // Check out our games:
NEW! Elemental Rage - metroidvania-style adventure platformer
Silent Swords // Silent Swords ZERO // Crunchy Planets
katoun
Halfling

Post by katoun »

Code: Select all

Export of full 3dsmax scene objects to individual .mesh files
Perfect.If you would have 200 buildings and 200 side pavements for each building that feature is like devine gift (and I do have a 3dmax level with that
meny objects).:)
When are you goind to officialy release it ? I hope as soon as posible.
Kat'Oun
Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Thanks to all for the nice comments

Because im commited to provide this exporter with a level of quality closer to the Ogre engine quality itself (which is really high quality), i decided that in the next few weeks the plugin pack will be in beta test stage (not more than 4 weeks, i hope)

Before that, this weekend (hope to find some time) i will download Ogre 1.0.x and update the plugin for this, as you can see in the pictures its done with Ogre 0.14

So testers are still needed for this beta stage (Night Elf you are in) , after this period the plugin will be released to be downloaded and tested by regular users, in this stage (the beta/stable stage) the interface for the plugin and scripting system of the ogre max viewer will be customized by the users feedback, and documentation will be ready for the 80% of the features

When the plugin pack is stable enough, the versions for Max 6 and 7 will be compiled and the installer for each version made

Several tutorials/examples/whitepapers will be included in the beta/stable stage (if i find some time)

@Nelo
thanks, i will keep present

@katoun
the exporter handles object instances too, so if you have 200 instanced objects, it will result in only the real object exported (1 mesh), not the 199 instances, but this 199 will be loaded correnctly in the engine

@DWORD
no, not all in one day, but in one and a half days :D , the ogre engine is so well structured the is a pleasure to work with it, it have all the functions you will ever need, and if not, you know, as simple as plug your own code in it

Hope to switch to ogre in our current project, soon :D

@jacome
thanks, currently its a plugin for max5.1, i didnt update my workstation to other max, max5.1 does everyting i need, i dont see the need to chage to another version (and with those prices, that money can be used on something else, and merging particleflow and character studio and changing the version number is not worth the update price tag, IMHO)
But the modeling department is using max 6 and the video/compositing uses max 7, so this plugin will be compiled for max5.1/6/7

BTW, since when "it crashes less often" is a feature worth the version numbering change, for me its a bugfix and should be given for free

Lioric
Night Elf
Halfling

Post by Night Elf »

So testers are still needed for this beta stage (Night Elf you are in)
So, how do I get the plugin so we can start beta-testing?
Mariano Ruggiero // Follow me on Twitter (@ArtCoder) // Check out our games:
NEW! Elemental Rage - metroidvania-style adventure platformer
Silent Swords // Silent Swords ZERO // Crunchy Planets
bugshake
Greenskin

Post by bugshake »

What? You made an entirely new 3dsmax exporter? And it supports bone animation? Am I hearing this correctly? I'll test it! The existing one is driving me mad: just when I though I finally got it to work I still had problems... Also, I have around 10-15 megs of space free, if you email it to me in one or two chunk(s) of <10MB I can upload it there until my provider starts complaining about me taking too much bandwidth. (ps i use max6)
Lioric

Post by Lioric »

@Night Elf
Please check you PM (o checkea tus mp)

@bugshake
The beta stage will be on max5.1, i dont want to install a new OS, we have a highly hacked win98 sytem that boots up in 3 seconds, and Max6/7 needs XP/2k. But when the plugin pack will be released in a few weeks they will be for Max5.1/6/7

Lioric
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

That's really good work. If you wrote that in a day what would a week do?
GTPowa
Kobold

Post by GTPowa »

Absolutely wonderful this idea!!!

if you want i can propose my webspace for hosting your project !!( 500Mo!!)

i'm really eager to test your plugin!!!

Are you able to give a release date presently?

With all my encouragements!!

regards

GTPOWA
GTPowa
Kobold

Post by GTPowa »

what are the news of this wonderful and promising plugin????

I'm REALLY interested of it!! and i give all my encouragements for the developper!

See U
Lioric

Post by Lioric »

@GTPowa

Thanks for those nice posts, thats the kind of words an opensource/free project needs, be sure to write them to the ogre developers too, as they are doing an impressive work with ogre

@All

I was not in the country over the last weeks, so i have not worked much in this project, but the beta testers are doing a good job, and the overall project is progrssing nicely.

Here are some new features added, i will update the first post with the updated features and fixes

- Added a new export option/format to the New PHSR SceneManager, this is a new scene manager (will be released too) that uses a new set of algorithms for occlusion culling (improving the rendering speed) like Coherent Hierarchical Culling, Fast Ocllusion with hidden AABB, KD-tree hierarchical structure, all using Hardware Occlusion Queries GL/DX9, preliminary scene tests include a 18 million polys scene with good frame rates. Information about this SceneManager will be posted soon on this forums

- The complete scene is now correctly packed (the exported file) including materials and textures, this pack is fully compilant with the ogre resource manager

- Lights are exportable

- Animation is updated in the ogre viewport with the max time slider

- Several bugfixes, including to the Max Blend Material export

- Updated to ogre 1.0.2

The beta stage 2 will start on wensday, if you are interested in helping and have max 5.1, request the beta package

Lioric
tgraupmann
Gnoll

Post by tgraupmann »

Ready to beta?
GTPowa
Kobold

Post by GTPowa »

No problem!!

congratulations to your job and for the ogre team job! it's really impressive... i'm working on an application using Ogre and that's true... it's very complete and useful.... ok just few bugs or knowledgeless from me certainly.....

i hope to test your famous plugin... and i just wondering whether it could work on 3dsmax 6 or 7 ??

i'm really to having you accreditation ^^

thanks for all
tgraupmann
Gnoll

Post by tgraupmann »

From your screenshots, it looks like Ogre is actually rendering inside 3d studio max... How did you do that?
Mugen
Gnoblar

Post by Mugen »

I have 3DS Max 7 and will definately be willing to help test it.

give me an email at mikl@brokenentertainment.com
emat3d
Gnoblar

Post by emat3d »

I also have 3DS Max 7. I would like to also volunteer to test the 3DS exporter plug-in. Here is my e-mail.. emat3d@gmail.com. Let me know if you need more testers.
Swim, Bike, Run, Code...
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Lioric wrote:The beta stage 2 will start on wensday, if you are interested in helping and have max 5.1, request the beta package
Those of you not having max 5.1 will probably have to wait a bit. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
tgraupmann
Gnoll

Post by tgraupmann »

I have access to 3DS Max 3 and can be available to help test it.

give me an email at tgraupmann@yahoo.com
learningtolive
Gnoblar

Beta request

Post by learningtolive »

This looks great. Do let me in on the beta test. E-mail is progressivemetal@gmail.com .

I would be willing to provide web space to put it up as well. Do let me know.