Plants and trees for your games

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Loopix
Gnoblar

Plants and trees for your games

Post by Loopix »

Hi!

I have created some game content...mainly plants, trees and textures. There is two very cheap plant/tree-packs (TROPICAL and WOODLAND)

and a texture-pack for sale. Also you can find a lot of nice freebies. It's all very lowpoly and high quality! The models for sale are

in x-format and in gamestudios mdl-format. You might want to take a look: http://www.loopix-project.com/

Regards,

Loopix
plants and trees for your games...
http://www.loopix-project.com/
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

Just bought them both, i think i can download them somewhere when the payment is received i assume?

nm, download link will be send on payment :)

to the others, will let you know soon how they are ;)
Borundin
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Borundin »

Looking good :)
Im intrested but I wanted to try them out first so downloaded the freebies. Turned out they are saved in MDL (Gamestudio) format and therefor Im unable to use them in Ogre. Can you provide them in Ogre mesh format (and PNG textures) or link to some converter tool for these models?
Image : Image
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

Borundin wrote:Looking good :)
Im intrested but I wanted to try them out first so downloaded the freebies. Turned out they are saved in MDL (Gamestudio) format and therefor Im unable to use them in Ogre. Can you provide them in Ogre mesh format (and PNG textures) or link to some converter tool for these models?
try milkshape, i´m pretty sure you can convert them with it.
Borundin
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Borundin »

I actually have a licensed Milkshape copy on my old computer.
Only problem is that Milkshape crash as soon as I start it :cry:
Well, gonna download a later version,... maybe it will work. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!
Loopix
Gnoblar

plants and trees by Loopix

Post by Loopix »

@IFASS: Jus sent you the downloadlinks. Would be great if you could give us some feedback on how well the models work with OGRE

@Borundin: Here is a link to a free test-tree in x-format http://www.loopix-project.com/downloads ... x_file.zip
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

Loopix

The woodland pack is damaged, i think the file isn't complete on the server (unexpected end of archive)

Currently looking for a way to import X files into 3ds max...
Loopix, if it's possible.. could you make the files also available in 3ds format?
Last edited by IFASS on Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sober
Gnoblar

Post by sober »

Hmm, I am getting errors, while exporting the free-trees to .mesh .skel .material with Milkshape.
Has anyone success with it and may put them somewhere for download?

Hmm found out, other models work. So we only miss the textures in a format with alpha right? :P
joi
Gnome

Post by joi »

Im so amazed by the quality! You could convert them to .mesh and im pretty sure you will get lots of buyers!

Like me :twisted:

In addition, you could try to upgrade your site, its kinda hurting the eyes.
maya 7.0, vs 2005, ogre 1.2
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

joi wrote:Im so amazed by the quality! You could convert them to .mesh and im pretty sure you will get lots of buyers!

Like me :twisted:
I'd rather have them in a format like .3ds or Obj, since then many editors can open it.. i can't import .mesh into 3ds max :P
Loopix
Gnoblar

Plants and trees by Loopix

Post by Loopix »

@IFASS: Sorry for the broken zip! I'm uploading the woodland-pack again! Please try to download again later. E-mailed you!

I will add the 3ds-and maybe other formats within the next week!
IFASS
Gnome

Re: Plants and trees by Loopix

Post by IFASS »

Loopix wrote:@IFASS: Sorry for the broken zip! I'm uploading the woodland-pack again! Please try to download again later. E-mailed you!

Thanks!

Will i be able to redownload the packages with other formats later on?
Loopix
Gnoblar

Post by Loopix »

IFASS wrote:
Loopix wrote:@IFASS: Sorry for the broken zip! I'm uploading the woodland-pack again! Please try to download again later. E-mailed you!

Thanks!

Sure! Yust keep your customer data on a safe place!
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

Loopix wrote:
IFASS wrote:

Thanks!

Sure! Yust keep your customer data on a safe place!
Already did that ^_^
sober
Gnoblar

Post by sober »

Well, I think it would be no problem to provide mesh, skeleton and material data (there is an exporter for Milkshape and other Tools on the site.
The only problem, that I have with Milkshape-exports is, that the textures are exported as bmp and loose their transparency with it.
Borundin
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Borundin »

I got a new Milkshape installed and was able to load one of the tree models just fine. Got the same problem as others here about missing alpha channel though :(
The price for your model packs seem alright so this alpha issue is the only thing holding me back now :? A separate texture file could remedy that Im sure...
sober
Gnoblar

Post by sober »

I agree completly with Borundin on that point
Loopix
Gnoblar

Post by Loopix »

Borundin wrote:I got a new Milkshape installed and was able to load one of the tree models just fine. Got the same problem as others here about missing alpha channel though :(
The price for your model packs seem alright so this alpha issue is the only thing holding me back now :? A separate texture file could remedy that Im sure...
All x-format models (=all models for sale and the free x-model sample) do have a seperate TGA-texture file with alphachannel for the transparency.
I'd be glad to know wich format you need most (3ds, obj, ms3d,). I thought of OGRE being able to import x-format including TGA-textures with alphachannel...am I wrong? If you need to convert the TGA-textures into PNG...this is easyli possible with the free image software GIMP! Open your x-model in a simple texteditor, go to the end of the file and change the texture filename according to the name of your seperate texture.
sober
Gnoblar

Post by sober »

Ogre cannot import other Fileformats than Ogre-intern .mesh. This is (i think) done due to performance issues. I haven't looked at the sourcecode yet, but I think it is something like a serialized verion of what Ogre needs in memory to work with a model.
Like we said, its no problem to convert your MDL format to .mesh using milkshape, BUT milkshape takes the textures, that are inside the .mdl and saves them as .bmp. on this step, the alphachannel is dropped.
To help us Ogreusers, it would be enough, if you would add the textures as seperate files to the .zip of .mdl files, so we can fix this problem by changing the name of the texture in out .material file and use the .png or what ever you provide.
Loopix
Gnoblar

Post by Loopix »

sober wrote:Ogre cannot import other Fileformats than Ogre-intern .mesh. This is (i think) done due to performance issues. I haven't looked at the sourcecode yet, but I think it is something like a serialized verion of what Ogre needs in memory to work with a model.
Like we said, its no problem to convert your MDL format to .mesh using milkshape, BUT milkshape takes the textures, that are inside the .mdl and saves them as .bmp. on this step, the alphachannel is dropped.
To help us Ogreusers, it would be enough, if you would add the textures as seperate files to the .zip of .mdl files, so we can fix this problem by changing the name of the texture in out .material file and use the .png or what ever you provide.
Ahh...I see now! So you could convert one of my free tree-models to a mesh-format model and then add the seperate TGA-texture from the free x-format tree-sample (this should work, cause the tree UV's are all mapped the same). Could you give it a try and post an ingame-shot here...just to let me know?
sober
Gnoblar

Post by sober »

sure, I will try it out.

Hmm, somehow I am unable.
The textures Milkshape exports are upsitedown. When I load the exported Date in the Meshviewer, everything looks okay only the transparency is gone.
when I take your TGA, and rotate it for 180° I still loose the transparency.
Is this a bug in the meshviewer? Or is this a "bug" in my useage of a grafiktool. Well it could be, I am programmer and no graficartist.
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

@loopix: Thanks for the great support man!
(yeah, fast delivery and trouble shooting in just minutes ;) )

When the packs are available with the 3ds models, i'll make a little ingame demo for you.

Btw, you forgot to secure the both model packs, according to the mail the zip files should be password protected, but they are not, however, the texture pack is secured.
Loopix
Gnoblar

Post by Loopix »

IFASS wrote:@loopix: Thanks for the great support man!
(yeah, fast delivery and trouble shooting in just minutes ;) )

When the packs are available with the 3ds models, i'll make a little ingame demo for you.

Btw, you forgot to secure the both model packs, according to the mail the zip files should be password protected, but they are not, however, the texture pack is secured.

IFASS and all others...ARE YOU READY?
I converted all models into 8 different formats (3ds, obj, x, ms3d, b3d, dbo, dts, mdl). So now i'm looking foreward to see some nice ingame screens form you OGRE-guys!

PS: Thanks for the hint concerning the unprotected zip folders!
joi
Gnome

Post by joi »

Thanks! We want more. :P
maya 7.0, vs 2005, ogre 1.2
Borundin
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Borundin »

Just bought the woodland pack. Awesome stuff, thanks alot :)
Here are a couple of Ogre rendered screenshots with one of the trees (Grass is NOT from the this pack, will change that later):

Aboput the Ogre material settings.
Im using an alpha_rejection value of 20 in these images. With something like 128 you get better quality, or should I say more like the orginal. But I wanted to have more of a "dense look" in this project. Im also using low diffuse values and high ambient so you get less of the "cross quad" look.

Another shot using higher alpha_rejection:

Edit: New shot using a couple of the models in the Woodland pack.

Last edited by Borundin on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.