Lightwave to Ogre3D 1.0.1 - source opened

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

Yes it's on my todo list :)

I hadn't thought about this versions problems and released it too early. I should be back friday, and will release a new version before the end of the week.
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

Updated to beta0.4, it should now work with Lightwave 7.5 and higher.
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

version beta 0.5 is out.

Corrected a bug inside the dotSceneExporter, orientations are now exported correctly.

Changed a behaviour : you don't need anymore to attach an Object to a Null Object to export the SceneNode and the Entity attached to it. If you don't attach an Object to a Null, a SceneNode will be created for you with the same name as the exported Entity, and the Entity will be attached to it. (You can still create Null Objects, and attach one or more Objects or Nulls to it if you want to achieve complex hierarchies.

Manual has been updated too, to reflect this behaviour change.

(See the first post of this thread as usual).
cgmonk
Gnoblar

keyframe times

Post by cgmonk »

I was trying out version 0.5 and noticed that when it exports an animation that the time of the first frame is not 0.

For example, if I have 2 animations setup and I export them. The first animation starts at frame 1 and ends at frame 61 with a step of 10 frames at 30 FPS. Frame one starts at 0.033333 instead of 0, and as well, the last frame is 2.36667 instead of 2.

The second animation has a length of 1, starts at 61 and ends at 91 with a step of 10 and 30 FPS. It's first frame time is 2.03333 instead of 0 and it's last frame time is 3.2 instead of 1.

This is causing the xmlconverter to only export the first animation since the second animations start time is after it's length. and the first animation jumps slightly when looping since it does not start at 0.

It seems like the time values need to be divided by the start frame to normalize them so each animation always starts at 0.
Michael Caraway
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

Ok i'll check it. I just noticed another problem, but a smaller one, when a mesh isn't ready for export it's still possible to press the export button and it makes the exporter crash.
Emmanuel
Gnoblar

Post by Emmanuel »

This is amazing, the best part of it (;)) ) is the amazing documentation !!
Thanks a lot for Your time and effort !!!
Vertex animation...does that mean morph targets ?
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

I tried beta 5 with lightwave 8 and it works.

well... 99%, it seems to clump all my animation into one. and my character has rubber shins, his feet remain planted to the ground and polygons between 2 weight maps get stretched and look like rubber. i don't know if this is my fault or not. the important thing is, i got the mesh into ogre.
Emmanuel
Gnoblar

Post by Emmanuel »

Did You make sure that every vertex is assigned one weightmap ?
There is a difference between a vertex with 0% weight and no weight at all...
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

I fixed the rubber legs by finishing the weight map and re-animating :oops:
the exporter still seems to clump all animation into one...
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

*bump*

How's it going?

To elaborate on my issue: I have a 20 frame animation (walk) and another 20 frame animation right after that (run). But when I define walk and run and export, I open it up in CE-Mesh Viewer and the animations have been clumped into "walk" and "run" is empty. So my character looks like he's got some kind of nerve dissorder... or has to go to the bathroom really bad.

[edit] It's been a month, I know. Work takes it's toll on my schedual. [/edit]
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

Hi,

Sorry I have been a lot busy by work, i'm at version 0.6 here, which fix problems about vertex colors and smoothing group export with large meshes.

I'm aware of the animation problem, I will correct it in the following day and upload the new version.

(for a reason, I'm not notified on my mailbox about your posts)
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

cool.

Posts i've selected the option of "Notify me when a reply is posted" haven't been notifying me either.
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

Skimming thru the OGRE forum and just curious how's the exporter?
richiek
Gnoblar

Getting the latest exporter...

Post by richiek »

Hey there guys,
I can't seem to access the exporter at pierreblanc.net. Are there server issues or has the location changed?
I'm having extremely bad animation problems which are driving me crazy so I'm hoping the latest and greatest exporter will solve the issue.

Many thanks for your efforts P.
dewitters
Gnoblar

the link is dead

Post by dewitters »

The link to pierreblanc.net is indeed dead: "This domain is currently expired." Does anyone still have that latest beta version? Because I need it badly :(. If someone can provide me the file I can even host the file until the official version is back online.

Thanks, Koen.
richiek
Gnoblar

Post by richiek »

Hey Koen,
I'll send you an email with the 0.5beta file in it. P should be releasing 0.6 soon which will have morph exporting capabilities.

Be sure to post a link back to your mirror :)

richiek
dewitters
Gnoblar

file download mirror

Post by dewitters »

Thanks for the quick reply richiek :D . I've mirrored the file at
http://users.telenet.be/dewitters/ogre3 ... eta0.5.rar

Koen
mjrmua
Gnoblar

Post by mjrmua »

Does anyone still have the fix for 7.5?
broli
Halfling

Post by broli »

I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by making this post but I have been using this plug-in extensively lately with lw 8.5 and I must say this is certainly a gods gift. I only use it for exporting static meshes so I haven't encountered any problems.

Although I have a few small requests, I was wondering whether you could export the whole selection in the mesh lists in the .mesh exporter at once in their respective .mesh.xml files instead of selecting them one by one and hitting EXPORT NOW. Actually the previous request should kill this one since; every time you export it doesn’t remember where you just exported the previous, in my case it always starts out in the program folder of lightwave. That’s about it really. All there’s left to say is to keep up your awesome job and I hope to see some never versions soon.
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

Sorry I have been like invisible in the past months, and haven't been here to answer anything since a long time.

I'm using the plugin for a project i'm working on, and adding some functionnalities on the way, but i haven't found the time yet to upload the new version.

During this time I also losted my domain name, and was not able to get it again (never take an account to Ipowerweb bastards), so took a new one, that i will give the link when i ll upload the new version.

It has now morphs export, but not vertex animations yet, and since we don't need it for our project, i think not before a long time.

It also has some bugfixes.. well I will try to upload my current version this week end, with the documentation if I found the time.

@ broli :

the version i'm using now integrates the .mesh conversion, about exporting all objects at once it's planned, we need it too and quickly, so i think I will do it in the following weeks.

About remembering the last directory, we also need it, and it will be done maybe in the version I will upload this weekend.

Thank you for the nice feedback.

best regards,

P.
GPM
Halfling

Post by GPM »

Bug?- Feature Request

I have a number of objects in my scene that contain multiple meshes with in the same .lwo file, for example, an object called TestHeirarchy.lwo. This is an layered .lwo with layers named Ball, Box, and Cone.

It appears that each layer will need to be exported as it's own mesh, because even though the LW Item name is: TestHeirarchy:Ball, TestHeirarchy:Box, & TestHeirarchy:Cone, the Ogre Mesh name is: TestHeirarchy, TestHeirarchy, and TestHeirarchy. If I were to export using the Ogre name, my meshes would be overwritten each time I export a layer from the same object.

Basically, the generated Ogre Mesh name strips anything after the ":" in the filename.

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I have noticed that in the DotScene exporter the Ogre Node name just omits a ":" from a LW Item name. For example I name my Node (Null) TestHeirarchy:Null (LW Item name). The Ogre Node name picks this up and translates it to: TestHeirarchyNull (omitting the ":").

It would be nice if the Mesh Exporter could handle the difference between the LW Entity name and the Ogre Mesh name the same way as the DotScene Expoter does.
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

As stated in the manual, you can only export 1 layer objects, i don't remember the reason why i did that, but he had something to do with Lightwave doesn't support instances, and i think because of the dotScene exporter I had to find a way to make a link between object and all the clones of it, which was only possible using the object name.

I'm not sure this was the right reason, but i think more explanations are inside the manual.

As a note, the version available is really old, i need to update that. I will do it as soon as I can.
GPM
Halfling

Post by GPM »

O.k. I am going to test renaming each item after it exports, that might be a workaround for the problem I described. I'll report back on the progress.
GPM
Halfling

Post by GPM »

Update:
I need to export my layered objects with the below plugin:

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plug...rToObjectSaver

to save the layers as individual objects. Then reload in the scene to get better entity names for export.
Gorlist
Gnoblar

Post by Gorlist »

Hi, very much interested in your plugin though your download links appear not to be working?

Regards!
James