Lightwave to Ogre3D 1.0.1 - source opened

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
transistor
Gnoblar

Re: Lightwave to Ogre3D 1.0.1 - source opened

Post by transistor »

Actually, I'm not using skelegons...

I created the mesh and weight maps in modeler, then I just created the bones in layout, and export from there. Do you think it makes a difference?
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

I find it much easier to place skelegons in modeler and convert them in layout later. IMHO it gives much more control over where the bones will start and end. Lightwave has many ways of accomplishing the same job. Mostly it boils down to what you feel works best for you. For me, the Skelegon-Tree tool was a life saver during complex rigging.
transistor
Gnoblar

Post by transistor »

alright, makes sense. I do really like the idea of the skelegon tree.

what I meant is, do you think using skelegons in modeler vs placing bones in layouts makes any difference when exporting the mesh to orge?

I mean, I have no problem getting things to work exactly how I want in lightwave... but the skeletal animations I am getting in ogre with this plug in... are just down right unpredictable. But again, I am under the assumption that this plugin works, and that I am over looking something on my end.

I have tried your blending idea and it doesn't seem to work. It just moves the "breaking point" back to the vertex row of 50% weight.

Here's a question: Gaffeghan, I assume you have had success with this plugin. Which version of lightwave are you using?
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

The exporter won't know the difference between bones placed in layout or in modeler. The only reason I use skelegons is to prevent missing a weight/bone relationship. The thing with Lightwave is that if there isn't a weight assigned to a bone, that bone will manipulate what ever is near it. In contrast, Ogre only moves the weights that are assigned to that bone. So if you miss a weight/bone assignment, you will see it in Ogre, but might not notice it in Lightwave. I did find success in bringing content into Ogre from Lightwave 9.0 and 9.5. I didn't have any problems with weights when I assigned them all to bones. Though earlier in this thread I did have a problem with weights that were not attached to bones, which gave very similar results to what you've posted. I cleared that up with the use of the Skelegon-Tree tool.

For Ogre to do what you see in Lightwave, Every bone has to be assigned a weight map.
And when you use Skelegons, every model you make is that much more portable between scenes (good for cut-scenes).

Currently I use Lighwave 9.5
transistor
Gnoblar

Post by transistor »

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

The thing is, I tried to simplify the situation by only using 2 bones. I figured that would make it easy enough to eliminate too many variables. For example, I shouldn't have too much of a problem with overlooking bone/weight assignments.

But with more bones, I can definitely see the advantage of using the skelegon tree. And for that matter, bringing the model from one scene to the next. Heh, infact, in retrospect that would have saved my class a world of trouble on a project we did last semester...

...but anyways...

I think I'm going to simplify it more... and try out using just some very basic geometry instead of the characters arm. like a box or something. I feel like I'm SO close to getting this to work, but keep hitting a wall right at the finish line.

But thanks again for the support. I'll post up any new results I get.
warmi
Gnoll

Post by warmi »

Gaffeghan wrote:The exporter won't know the difference between bones placed in layout or in modeler. The only reason I use skelegons is to prevent missing a weight/bone relationship. The thing with Lightwave is that if there isn't a weight assigned to a bone, that bone will manipulate what ever is near it. In contrast, Ogre only moves the weights that are assigned to that bone. So if you miss a weight/bone assignment, you will see it in Ogre, but might not notice it in Lightwave. I did find success in bringing content into Ogre from Lightwave 9.0 and 9.5. I didn't have any problems with weights when I assigned them all to bones. Though earlier in this thread I did have a problem with weights that were not attached to bones, which gave very similar results to what you've posted. I cleared that up with the use of the Skelegon-Tree tool.

For Ogre to do what you see in Lightwave, Every bone has to be assigned a weight map.
And when you use Skelegons, every model you make is that much more portable between scenes (good for cut-scenes).

Currently I use Lighwave 9.5

You can force Lightwave to use weights only when calculating influence, something you probably should enable by default when working with Ogre related scenes.
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

Well sure, if you want to make life easy. :P
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

Hi guys
I'm trying to export the sibenik cathedral (download here). The original format of the file is lightwave, and the conversions aren't good. I downloaded the trial version and installed the plugin, but for some reason the export does not export the UVs and textures (the images' locations have to be fixed the first time the model is loaded, but you can download the image pack and fix that, and I see the textures in the model).

Does anyone know why this is happening? If someone has some time and experience with lightwave, I would be grateful if they could export it to ogre and send me the result. This is for a demo that will be part of the ogre SDK, so you are helping ogre! :)
If not, any tip / idea would be welcome...

Thanks!
dobermunk
Gnoblar

Post by dobermunk »

I'd love to try this out but the linked website (http://www.pierreblanc.eu/) for download seems to have been down for a while. Just me?
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

kielen
Gnoblar

Post by kielen »

Noman wrote:Hi guys
I'm trying to export the sibenik cathedral (download here). The original format of the file is lightwave, and the conversions aren't good. I downloaded the trial version and installed the plugin, but for some reason the export does not export the UVs and textures (the images' locations have to be fixed the first time the model is loaded, but you can download the image pack and fix that, and I see the textures in the model).

Does anyone know why this is happening? If someone has some time and experience with lightwave, I would be grateful if they could export it to ogre and send me the result. This is for a demo that will be part of the ogre SDK, so you are helping ogre! :)
If not, any tip / idea would be welcome...

Thanks!
I've tried out this plugin and i have an idea what could be wrong.
1. all of your's textures must be uv-mapped, if there is no uv, no uv will be exported. plugin can't create uv's from planar or spherical mapping etc.
2. if uv's are present but textures don't export, try to place textures in same folder as object (worked for me in 90% cases)
3. map all textures on the same uv map, otherwise all uv-maps will be exported and belive me, u don't need such mess
4. if u want export multiple uv's, for example 2, u must have only 2 uv sets in object. all materials should be mapped with first uv, except last one mapped with second uv. this way only two uv's will be exported. sadly u will have to manualy alter materials file.

I haven't checked your model due my time limitations, but i hope my advices will be usefull.
If anyone finds my conclusions wrong, please let me know, this will save me lot's of time writing my own lwo->ogre converter that will be more practical...
...and i'm sorry for my poor english, i haven't used it for some time, it's little rusty... like titanic :roll:
Ph1l
Gnoblar

Post by Ph1l »

Any working download URL for binaries?
Eric Pratt
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Eric Pratt »

If anyone is motivated, I'd pay for a Lightwave to Ogre converter that worked in 64bit. As it is, I need to relog into windows XP any time I want to get something out to mesh format.
Dracorat
Gnoblar

Post by Dracorat »

Does anyone have a working download link? All the ones in this thread are dead.

Thanks!
djes
Gnoblar

Post by djes »

I've already gived functional links : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 85#p308685
Bobble Puzzle : http://djes.free.fr
Purebr3aker deluxe : http://www.shootingcrew.com
spellid
Gnoblar

Post by spellid »

djes wrote:I've already gived functional links : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 85#p308685
Thanks you, djes! Hope at least these links will work.
________________________________________________________________________________________
mobile application development
Last edited by spellid on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Just a heads up. I recently got contracted to update the exporter and got the permission to give the changes back to the community, so this evening I will provide an updated version working with LW 9.6 and LW 10.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Okay, took a bit longer than planned, but here we go:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just committed the updated exporter from my contractor work to the OgreAddons SVN. The exporter will now work with LW 9.6 and LW 10 in 32Bit mode. I haven't got around compiling it for x64 yet, but I might give it a shot (as long as my trail version is still valid ;) ).

Here the central points = commit message:
- updated to work with Lightwave 9.6 and 10
-> updated to LW SDK 10 and boost 1.46.1 + boost.process from GSocC 2010
- minor fixes:
* reduced max UV set number to 8, since Ogre cannot handle more anyway
* exporter will now be properly added to MasterPlugins after loading a LWS scene
The plugin/exporter itself can be downloaded here: http://ogreaddons.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... n/release/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you encounter any issues or have some minor requests, just post them here. As long as the trial works, I might tackle them...
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...