Lightwave to Ogre3D 1.0.1 - source opened

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

It's hard to say without seeing the object. Can you send me the .lwo file as well as its textures and a quick explanation about the result you expect after the export please ?
GPM
Halfling

Post by GPM »

The plugin is now open source, you can find it next to the other Ogre addons in the repository in the LightwaveExport directory.
Could you send a link to the "addons repository in the LightwaveExport directory"? I couldn't find anything there.
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

Look here : http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?option= ... Itemid=145

and browse to /ogreaddons/LightwaveExport

It should be there unless I did something wrong ?
jedimasta
Gnoblar

Post by jedimasta »

RA/pdx wrote:Again i have got a problem with the UV-maps. This time i have got a lightwave object(one layer) with two submeshes. Each submesh has got it´s own material and UV-map.
The second submesh is showen corretly in Ogre but the first submesh is just showen in one color (it´s a colour of the texture).
:!: I'm having this EXACT same problem. I'm finding that I can chop out individual elements of the mesh, export them each separately and the UVs hold true, but as soon as I try to put them into a larger model (which is required by our client) only 3 or 4 of the textures actually appear on the final .mesh file.

:idea: I want to note that the plugin DOES copy all the JPGs used in the textures properly for ALL the UVs in the mesh, but only a few actually appear. Otherwise I end up with solid colors on those textured objects, not their complete images.

I can absolutely send a LWO and the converted .mesh for your research. Please PM.
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

The problem Ra/pdx had actually came from its engine, not the plugin.

You can send me your object, as well as a complete and clear explanation of what you are doing, the result you get, and what you would have expected.
jedimasta
Gnoblar

Post by jedimasta »

Done, please check your email and thanks again!
jedimasta
Gnoblar

Post by jedimasta »

Just an update to possibly help the process along. A developer I'm working with took a look at the XML file generated prior to the .MESH conversion and elated the following:
When you look at the XML for the mesh you can see that the vertices are being exported correctly and the material appears to be correctly assigned to a submesh. However many of the submeshes seem to be missing their UV coordinate definitions. This issue doesn’t happen when the objects are exported individually.
Hoping this helps.
warmi
Gnoll

Problems compiling

Post by warmi »

It seems the plugin won't run when compiled with Lightwave 9.2 SDK.

I am basically getting null on one of the requests:

Code: Select all

return (
			mMessageFuncs &&
			mSceneInfo &&
			mItemInfo &&
			mObjectInfo &&
			mObjectFuncs &&
			mFogInfo &&
			mCameraInfo &&
			mBackdropInfo &&
			mTextureFuncs &&
			mSurfaceFuncs &&
			mImageList &&
			mInterfaceInfo &&
			mMonFuncs &&
			mPanelFuncs &&
			mDirInfoFunc &&
			mFileActivateFunc &&
			mBoneInfo &&
			mRasterFuncs &&
			mLightInfo &&
			mHostDisplayInfo &&
			mChannelInfo &&
			mEnvelopeFuncs );

Don;'t know which one though ... I will try to compile with SDK 7.5
P
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by P »

@jedimasta :

I hadn't the time to look at it until now, I will check it as soon as I can.

@warmi :

It would be usefull to know on which one, there is no benefit to compile it with 9.2 SDK, it will just not make it compatible with previous versions.
warmi
Gnoll

Post by warmi »

Well, I can't seem to find 7.5 SDK. Newtek has only SDKs going back to 8.0.

Do you have it by any chance ?
djes
Gnoblar

Post by djes »

I'm a long time Lightwave user and I'm trying to use Ogre in my next games.
I'm using this plugin for some weeks and I have some problems with Lightwave 9.2 :
  • I have to reload it each time I'm doing a modification; refresh doesn't work.
    The angles in skeletal animations are wrong.
    If I have only one bone with a weightmap, the resulting meshes weights are always 1 with some errors. I've watched in the source and I saw that there's a /totalWeight in Lw2Ogre_OgreMesh.cpp and this leads to a calculation error. I have to create one more bone (unused) with a 100% weight map to artificially correct this.
Moreover, I didn't understood how to bake an ik animation. Could you help me?

This plugin is really nice, and these little things are annoying. I'm an hobbyist coder and I'm not sure to be able to correct the plugin by myself as I've never did it...
CepO
Gnoblar

Trying to download the plugin

Post by CepO »

Can anyone say me where can I found the compiled version of the plugin?. (If still exists). Thanks for all.

P.D: Excuse my english.
Gorlist
Gnoblar

Post by Gorlist »

The Exporter: (supplied by a gentlemen in an earlier post)
http://www.warmi.net/tmp/lw2ogre1.0.1.rar

And XML converter:

http://lumumba.uhasselt.be/~karel/OgreX ... verter.zip

---------
Ive got a slightly problem, im trying to export a door from LW8 - the door itself has a weightmap and bone to open & close, with according animation.

This works fine, accept when exported through to Ogre the door frame (also within the same mesh) opens with the door.

Ive checked the weightmaps, the bone appears to be setup correctly. If I move the frame to a second layer, I then find only either the door frame or the door itself will export at anyone time.

Just to clarify, only the door has an applied weight map.

Any suggestions?
ZWF/pdx
Gnoblar

Post by ZWF/pdx »

Is the plugin still supported ? Or are any suggestions/bug reports in vain ?
Gorlist
Gnoblar

Post by Gorlist »

The site is down, and the author hasn't posted for sometime so I would hazard a guess and say no? great shame as the plugin was looking good.

However the source is available, so perhaps someone else might produce a few newer builds at somepoint.
ZWF/pdx
Gnoblar

Post by ZWF/pdx »

Yes, the plugin proofed to be very helpful during the development of our game.

Its sad its not continued. There are still small issues here and there. But all in all we could do everything we needed so far.
flipper
Gnoblar

Post by flipper »

Maybe I'm blind but I've been reading the entire thread but can locate the source code. All links are dead.

Anyone?
djes
Gnoblar

Post by djes »

You're lucky, I'm coming (first time for weeks!) and I see that. Here is the files of this excellent plugin, assuming P is not against their use.

Plugin : http://djes.free.fr/lw2ogre/lw2ogre1.0.1.rar
Src : http://djes.free.fr/lw2ogre/lw2ogre_src.zip
Manual : http://djes..free.fr/lw2ogre/manual.pdf (included in the others packages)
Ogre XML converter 1.0.6 : http://djes.free.fr/lw2ogre/OgreCommand ... -1.0.6.zip
Bobble Puzzle : http://djes.free.fr
Purebr3aker deluxe : http://www.shootingcrew.com
Gorlist
Gnoblar

Post by Gorlist »

Great :)

Has anyone been having any problems with rotations being reversed on scene export?
Deep Purple
Gnoblar

Post by Deep Purple »

Would the author be interested to put the source code on SourceForge or a similar site?
This way more programmers would be able to extend it and fix existing bugs,
and for users to report bugs into an issue tracker.

- DavidF
Deep Purple
Gnoblar

Post by Deep Purple »

djes wrote:You're lucky, I'm coming (first time for weeks!) and I see that. Here is the files of this excellent plugin, assuming P is not against their use.

Plugin : http://djes.free.fr/lw2ogre/lw2ogre1.0.1.rar
Src : http://djes.free.fr/lw2ogre/lw2ogre_src.zip
Manual : http://djes..free.fr/lw2ogre/manual.pdf (included in the others packages)
Ogre XML converter 1.0.6 : http://djes.free.fr/lw2ogre/OgreCommand ... -1.0.6.zip
Hi djes!

Do you have contact with P?

I would like to port the plugin to OSX,
but the current license does not cover source code modifications,
if the plugin were put under LGPL like Ogre itself it would be much easier.

Putting the plugin under LGPL and hosting it at SourceForge.org would encourage other programmers to work on the code,
and also allow it to be hosted on the main Ogre "Tools" page.

Cheers,
- DavidF
transistor
Gnoblar

problem with animation

Post by transistor »

Hi everyone,

looks like I am resurrecting this old thread here...

But I am just recently trying out this plugin to move a mesh and animations from lightwave to ogre.

The plugin seems really promising, but I'm having an issue. Please forgive me, if this has been addressed already... this thread is extremely long.

Basically, when I export my model to the ogre files, and open with the mesh viewer, the mesh comes out great. But the skeletal animations are messed up. For example, when doing a simple arm bend with my character, the arm gets stretched out and very distorted (not the way it looks in layout openGL). This seems to happen with all the appendages, etc. The interesting thing is that it seems to "stretch" or "cut off" where my weight maps start and stop.

For example, the left arm has a weight map which stops at the shoulder, and from that point on there is another weight map for the body. Right at the shoulder (or anywhere 2 weight maps converge) it stretches out the geometry.

Now, I thought this would be a weight map issue... but I have deleted and recreated the weight maps many many times. I have tried overlapping the maps, and alternately, I have tried making sure each vertex is assigned only 1 weight. It always stretches in the same location, so now I wonder if it is a bone issue... ?

The frustrating thing is, I have done a simple test: using a box with 2 weight maps, and 2 bones, I was successful in getting it to "bend" like an arm. So I don't know why this happens with my character.

I feel like I am overlooking something, but I have been hitting my head against it for a few days, I was hoping someone here may have some insight.

By the way, I am using lightwave 9.6. But I have also tried exporting from 9.0 with the same results.

Thanks!!
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Re: Lightwave to Ogre3D 1.0.1 - source opened

Post by Gaffeghan »

@ Transistor
I had a similar issue regarding weight maps. My problem was caused by unweighted geometry. When Ogre came across the unweighted points, it ignored them entirely and made my character's legs look like rubber.

You may want to try blending your weight maps (provided your model has enough geometry), Ogre should be able to handle it.
For example:
[B-50%, A-100%][B-100%, A-50%]
So weight map 'A' extends into weight map 'B' and vice versa, while the map being blended has less power over those points.

I'd have to see some screen-shots before I could give any better information...

Regards.
transistor
Gnoblar

screen shots

Post by transistor »

Hey Gaffeghan,

Thanks for the help. I'll try blending the weight maps like you suggest and let you know the result.

For now, here are some images to help illustrate the problem.

In preface, I know that 2 weight maps for the arm bend is not necessary, but it just illustrates the problem I have where any 2 weight maps meet.

here are the maps:

here, in layout using 2 bones. Each bone corresponds to 1 of the maps. I am getting the bend I want:

here, in the ogre mesh viewer, when I play the 30 frame animation, it seems to rip the arm appart right where the 2 maps meet:

I'm still in the middle of doing every test I can think of, so anything else I'll keep posting.

Thanks again
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Re: Lightwave to Ogre3D 1.0.1 - source opened

Post by Gaffeghan »

It almost looks like the bones are being reversed in the exportation process somehow. Either that or the forearm bone is not assigned a weight. At least that's what it appears to be. There should be a function in Lightwave Modeler to show you the weight/bone hierarchy; It should be under the
Setup tab -> Skelegons -> Skelegon Tree. From there you can see every Bone/Weight relationship on one page.

I hope this is helpful.