Blender and Zbrush?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Chris Jones
Lich

Blender and Zbrush?

Post by Chris Jones »

hey

i really want to get into modelling alot more (i want to make a game and rather not rely on having modellers), and i really like the look of zbrush, ive tried the demo etc and am thinking of buying it. but i want to make sure that buying zbrush will be worth it, as i want to make games (with ogre of course)

im not made of money obviously, i currently use blender and i dont really want to buy other 3d modelling software aswell as zbrush

so, my question is, is it possible to model in blender and use zbrush for adding more things, details etc, or use zbrush totally and export to ogre somehow?

thanks!

Chris
Jerky
Orc Shaman

Post by Jerky »

Absolutely, thats what I do. I usually start in ZBrush though (its quicker to start with ZSpheres) and then export OBJ to Blender and optimize and UV map, then import back into ZBrush to paint the texture (Projection Master rules) and do the hi-res detailing for normal mapping (ZMapper is also awesome). I don't know where I would be without ZB :).

I have never had a problem with the Wavefront OBJ import/exporting from Blender. I know there are 3 differnet exporters (to and from OBJ), but I use the one that says Wavefront OBJ.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
Fredz
Greenskin

Post by Fredz »

If you are on a budget, you can also try SharpConstruct which is Blender friendly (through the OBJ file format) or the new sculpt tool available in Blender 2.41.
Joshua
Halfling

Post by Joshua »

I find it's a bit tough to get correct topology from ZSpheres. We create the models in Maya (Blender in your case) then bring them into ZBrush to create the high detail versions and use ZMapper and ZAppLink for Normal Maps and Diffuse.
Jerky
Orc Shaman

Post by Jerky »

Joshua wrote:I find it's a bit tough to get correct topology from ZSpheres. We create the models in Maya (Blender in your case) then bring them into ZBrush to create the high detail versions and use ZMapper and ZAppLink for Normal Maps and Diffuse.
What I meant by 'optimize' is what you might say 'correct topology.' Some models, it would take me just as long to optimize after using zspheres as it would to start from scratch in Blender. Most of the time, however, I get something that is close to what I want from using zspheres, and then export and optimize (clean it up, redo topology, etc.) and do UV mapping, then import it back for detail. I guess I didnt explain what I meant by optimize. I agree that my way is not always best. Every artist gets to learn his workflow :).
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish