Lightwave to mesh with UV maps

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Eric Pratt
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Lightwave to mesh with UV maps

Post by Eric Pratt »

About a year ago I had started on a project to use some content that we already had as UV mapped lightwave models in OGRE.
The project went really well except the lightwave to mesh converter didn't map the all the UVs right, but it was a good start.
I'm picking up the project again and basically starting from scratch (read, can't find the source files). I don't see the lightwave to mesh converter as a supported tool anymore so I'm wondering what the suggested workflow for converting these files into meshes is now.
I can also convert these into vrml, and a variety of other formats using a program called polytrans. The important thing here is that the intermediate format retain the UV mapping data because all of the lighting is baked into the texture maps. You can think of the content in question as levels, and we have a lot of them to convert.
Thanks in advance for any help.

PS I don't have Maya and the version of Max I have is old and doesn't look to run the plugins here for it though I can save the models as .max files from version 6 if that helps.
warmi
Gnoll

Post by warmi »

Do you have an example of a model that was not converting correctly with the original converter provided by P ?
Eric Pratt
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Eric Pratt »

Unfortunately no, I'm starting from scratch on this project.
I could make another pretty easy if I could find the lightwave converter. There was always 1 surface that was incorrectly mapped. I tried changing the geometry to see if I was doing something wrong, but if I deleted the geometry of the surface in question the mismapping would move to another surface.
Otherwise it worked perfectly. I tried it on a bunch of models, always the same issue.
warmi
Gnoll

Post by warmi »

Yeah, well I have written a converter for my own personal use.

At this point it is quite specific to my needs ( doesn't do animation yet ).

If you want you can message me with an example of a model that would not convert correctly with the other coverter and I would see if it works fine with my code.
dennis
Gremlin

Post by dennis »

@Eric Pratt: I checked and you're right. The Lightwave converter (lwo2mesh) is no longer listed in the tools or add-on section. The source should still be accessible from the CVS repo though. PM me if you want me to send you the source. (Some digging required :) )

@warmi: There is some confusion about the names. P's exporter is well ... an exporter. :)
dennis
Gremlin

Re: Lightwave to mesh with UV maps

Post by dennis »