Maya Ogre Exporter Save Settings problem - Download the fix

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Anders Larsson
Gnoblar

Maya Ogre Exporter Save Settings problem - Download the fix

Post by Anders Larsson »

Why can't the maya ogre exporter save the export settings in each scene?
Last time i used the ogre exporter i believe i was using maya 6.5-8 and now I'm using 2008-2009 but STILL the exporter settings won't save.

You might as well remove the "Save Settings" and "Load Settings" buttons from the exporter since it's obviously doesn't work.

When you press the "Save Settings" button all it does is give an error message: // Error: Invalid flag: -select

"Load Settings" does the same as the "Default Settings" button since it's impossible to save any settings.

Is there any way to fix this?
Do I have to change a setting or something that isn't mentioned in the readme to get it to work?
What the hell?

The more content there is to export the more of a mess it turns into since you have to document all the export settings for each scene and manually type it in everytime there is a need to export again after a change to the mesh/animation/material.
Last edited by Anders Larsson on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

use the LFA Scene Manager

(these problems are EXACTLY why i wrote it)
Azgur
Goblin

Post by Azgur »

It's not broken for everyone.
On my machine the save and load button work just fine. However, I have witnessed those errors on the machines of some artists.
Anders Larsson
Gnoblar

Post by Anders Larsson »

metaldev wrote:use the LFA Scene Manager

(these problems are EXACTLY why i wrote it)
Yeah I've tried your LFA script but I'm not a 100% comfortable with it since it exports very different than the ogre exporter.

I have a joint test scene with 3 joints and 2 boxes and with the standard Ogre Exporter it exports everything as one mesh and one skeleton like I want it to. But with LFA I got 3 different skeleton files and 2 mesh files which is not what I want for this project.

Also: When I export with LFA it always whine on locked attributes on the skinned meshes, which I don't understand why..

Any advice on this?
Anders Larsson
Gnoblar

Post by Anders Larsson »

Azgur wrote:It's not broken for everyone.
On my machine the save and load button work just fine. However, I have witnessed those errors on the machines of some artists.
I've used ogre exporter with many different versions of maya so that can't be the problem.
Only used it on XP though, never tried it on Vista.
I think all the computers I've used Maya on has been running XP with swedish language settings if that somehow could affect it, though I don't know how.

Only issue I've had with a language setting other than English is that the PC game Call of Juarez had major graphical glitches all because of different use of the "," and "." signs.
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

Anders Larsson wrote: I have a joint test scene with 3 joints and 2 boxes and with the standard Ogre Exporter it exports everything as one mesh and one skeleton like I want it to. But with LFA I got 3 different skeleton files and 2 mesh files which is not what I want for this project.
Thats because you tagged every single node in the heirarchy. You only should tag the root bone with export parameters.
Anders Larsson wrote: Also: When I export with LFA it always whine on locked attributes on the skinned meshes, which I don't understand why..
because you are telling the scene manager that you want those meshes to export on their own, which is not what you have prepared them for... you prepared them for skeletal export. (the solution is the same as above, don't tag them with export parameters - only the root bone)
Anders Larsson
Gnoblar

Post by Anders Larsson »

Ah ok

I'll use LFA for characters then but animated props with several meshes and joints that are not connected with the default exporter since it's simpler that way.
rymbrant
Gnoblar

Post by rymbrant »

evidently this is a problem with the Mel script, on line 1924 -1926 they are trying to -query -select from the checkboxes and that flag doesnt exist for checkboxes, i think they meant -value instead, i changed it on mine and it seems to work.
Anders Larsson
Gnoblar

Re:

Post by Anders Larsson »

rymbrant wrote:evidently this is a problem with the Mel script, on line 1924 -1926 they are trying to -query -select from the checkboxes and that flag doesnt exist for checkboxes, i think they meant -value instead, i changed it on mine and it seems to work.
Should I replace "-query -select" with -value or just replace query or select?
Anders Larsson
Gnoblar

Re: Maya Ogre Exporter - Save Settings doesn't work

Post by Anders Larsson »

Oh, I got it to work right with the tip from rymbrant

I downloaded Notepad++ to see the line count: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
and went down to line 1924 and changed from -q -select to -q -v and now it works with saving and loading settings, yay!
(I guess Q is Query and V is value?)
Anders Larsson
Gnoblar

Save fixed exporter for easy download

Post by Anders Larsson »

Sweet, it even saves settings for each scene :)

I've uploaded the save fixed exporter here for everyone who is lazy (including me): http://colossus.nub.nu/~njal/OgreMayaEx ... AVEFIX.zip
Hope the Ogre people don't mind this until they add this fix to their more official exporter release.
aleda
Gnoblar

Re: Maya Ogre Exporter Save Settings problem - Download the fix

Post by aleda »

Hi all,

Anders, I was wondering if you could send over the modified source code so that I could try and compile it for Linux. I seem to have a problem that my version of the OgreExporter fails to export skeletal animations it just freezes when trying to write the file.

Thanks,
Alex.
B.A.B
Anders Larsson
Gnoblar

Post by Anders Larsson »

I don't have the source code and the only changes I have done, as documented above, are to the mel script file. I didn't have to make any changes to the exporter, only edits in a script.
The script should be the same, whether you're running maya on windows or linux.
aleda
Gnoblar

Post by aleda »

Ah okay, never mind. I downloaded an older version of the source code and found out what was causing the problem.

Cheers,

Alex.
B.A.B
thunderbrains
Gnoblar

Re: Maya Ogre Exporter Save Settings problem - Download the

Post by thunderbrains »

Sorry to bump up a really old thread but I have recently started work for a dev that has quite an old pipeline using maya 2011 and Ogre.

Basically I have run into the same problem as the OP but the solutions he detailed do not work for me.

I wondered if there is anything else I can try in order to fix the broken Save Settings feature of Ogre Exporter for maya?

I have tried the latest version of the .mll file I could find for maya 2011 (1.7.2) and this hasn't solved the issue.

I have to manually add animation clips on a daily basis and it's taken it's toll now :-) If I could just save the settings it would save me a ton of time not to mention mistakes.

Many thanks in advance and sorry once again for bumping a really old thread.

Brains.
thunderbrains
Gnoblar

Post by thunderbrains »

Hmm.. after some more playing with the MEL script file I seem to have something at least which will help me.

I have been able to replicate the fix described by the OP by changing the values in lines 1924-1926 (odd that I couldn't get it to work last night). Now when I save the settings in Ogre and then save the scene file those Ogre settings are baked into the scene file.

I suppose I was misunderstanding the function of the Save and Load commands within the Ogre script.

What I was looking for was a preset Save which I could call upon whenever I began working on a new scene.

The functionality I have discovered will at least save me from having to set everything up when I make iterative adjustments to animation so that's something.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

So you are referring to those lines here: https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/src/1 ... lt#cl-1924

Is changing those globally (meaning in the repository) going to affect other users since some reported that it worked as is? If not, if someone could create a pull-request we can surely merge in that change.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
thunderbrains
Gnoblar

Post by thunderbrains »

Yep those lines.

Not sure about changing them globally as you say, reading back over this old thread it seems some users are not experiencing this issue.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

But I think in one way or another that piece of information should be part of the repo, e. g. in the ReadMe.txt: https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/src/1 ... at=default or an extra TroubleShooting.txt (that also points to this thread for example).

What do you think?
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
thunderbrains
Gnoblar

Post by thunderbrains »

Well it would of saved me some time for sure if it was in the README.txt or someplace like that. I was lucky I found this thread in the first place that put me on the right path.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I just committed some changes. If you see anything else that should be added, let me know: https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/commi ... at=default