Maya 2009 Exporter [Mac]

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
choofins
Gnoblar

Maya 2009 Exporter [Mac]

Post by choofins »

Hey everyone.

First post on the Ogre forums, so I'd like to introduce myself a little bit before getting into the juicy stuff.

I'm an avid gamer and love every aspect about games. Art, HCI, game mechanics; you name it. I have a background in content creation and programming, although I'm not a master in either. Back in high school I did a lot of 3D modeling, mostly mechanical, using programs like AutoCAD, Solidworks, and ProE. During college I took a break from 3D and concentrated on programming with a concentration in web development. With my thirst for 3D never going away, I've finally reached the point where I'm ready to dive back into it. Now that I have decent programming experience, I am interested in combining my skills in 3D graphics development. A good friend of mine is a very active member of the Ogre community and has recommended that I start here.

I've been experimenting for several months now, silently reading the forums to better my knowledge in different areas such as content creation, shaders, particles, etc. The forums and wiki have provided me an enormous amount of valuable information and I'd like to thank everyone that has contributed. You've made Ogre what it is today. With that being said, and I hate this being my first post, I am reaching out for some help.

I've been unable to find the Maya 2009 Ogre Exporter for Mac anywhere. The tools section on the main ogre website has an antiquated Mac version of the Maya Ogre Exporter (v8.5). Forum searches yield minimal results. I'm not sure how to create a new one, otherwise I would be more than happy to do that. Does anyone know if someone is working on this exporter? If so, is there anything I could to do help? If someone has any knowledge of how to do this, and wouldn't mind directing me how to do so, I may be able to help.

Thanks
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Re: Maya 2009 Exporter [Mac]

Post by metaldev »

you should be able to recompile it yourself for mac and your version of maya using the source:
http://ogre.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ ... xport/src/
choofins
Gnoblar

Post by choofins »

I've never developed in Xcode before, so I'm unsure where to go from here. I've downloaded the latest source from the svn, and I know where to find the Maya SDK on disk, but beyond that I'm lost. Any additional information would be great.
carbonization
Gnoblar

Post by carbonization »

Here's one I compiled if you want it.
Attachments
macMaya2009OgreExporter.zip
Mac Maya 2009 Ogre exporter
(162.42 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
choofins
Gnoblar

Post by choofins »

@carbonization

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help. I went ahead and placed the .bundle and .mel files in their appropriate directories. I then booted up Maya and went into the Plug-in Manager to load the ogreExporter. Unfortunately it fails at this step, with the following showing up in the console window:

Code: Select all

// Error: Unable to dynamically load : /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2009/plug-ins/ogreExporter.bundle
dlopen(/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2009/plug-ins/ogreExporter.bundle, 1): Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/Ogre.framework/Versions/A/Ogre
  Referenced from: /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2009/plug-ins/ogreExporter.bundle
  Reason: image not found // 
// Error: dlopen(/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2009/plug-ins/ogreExporter.bundle, 1): Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/Ogre.framework/Versions/A/Ogre
  Reason: image not found // 
// Error: dlopen(/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2009/plug-ins/ogreExporter.bundle, 1): Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/Ogre.framework/Versions/A/Ogre
  Reason: image not found (ogreExporter) // 
I am assuming that the plug-in is compiled to find the ogre SDK in a specific location relative to the Maya installation (@executable_path). My installation of the Maya executable is in Applications/Autodesk/maya2009/, which means that my Ogre Library is relatively located at @executable_path/../../../Frameworks/Ogre.framework/Versions/A/Ogre.

I attempted to look at the .mel script file in hopes that it would have a path that I could reconfigure for my system, but it looks like it's in the binary .bundle file.

I still believe that compiling the exporter myself would be the best solution, but I am unsure how to do this. I would need a little more direction on how to perform such a task.

Any words of advice are welcomed, and again, thanks to carbonization for the exporter you provided.
esperanza
Gnoblar

Post by esperanza »

I have installed the files and can see the plugin in Maya. If I try to save a file I get the following error: Cannot find procedure "ogreExport". I have tried to compile my own version in xcode. This fails, however, as I do not have the libOpenMayaRender.dylib on my computer. It seems to me that this file has been distributed with old versions of Maya but is not available anymore with Maya 2009.

Any help on this?
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

esperanza wrote:I have installed the files and can see the plugin in Maya. If I try to save a file I get the following error: Cannot find procedure "ogreExport". I have tried to compile my own version in xcode. This fails, however, as I do not have the libOpenMayaRender.dylib on my computer. It seems to me that this file has been distributed with old versions of Maya but is not available anymore with Maya 2009.

Any help on this?
if you get this, the plugin is not loaded.
banal
Halfling

Post by banal »

choofins wrote: I am assuming that the plug-in is compiled to find the ogre SDK in a specific location relative to the Maya installation (@executable_path). My installation of the Maya executable is in Applications/Autodesk/maya2009/, which means that my Ogre Library is relatively located at @executable_path/../../../Frameworks/Ogre.framework/Versions/A/Ogre.
Here's how to change the path of dynamic library linked to a compiled file, without compiling it yourself:
Use the otool to display the linked libraries and the install_name_tool to change the paths you like.
These two tools are part of the Apple Developer Tools (XCode) and can be invoked via terminal/shell.
choofins
Gnoblar

Post by choofins »

banal wrote: Here's how to change the path of dynamic library linked to a compiled file, without compiling it yourself:
Use the otool to display the linked libraries and the install_name_tool to change the paths you like.
These two tools are part of the Apple Developer Tools (XCode) and can be invoked via terminal/shell.
Great, I'll make sure to give that a try. Thanks.
banal
Halfling

Post by banal »

choofins wrote:Great, I'll make sure to give that a try. Thanks.
To save you some time:

otool -L ogreExporter.bundle
should list all the shared libraries linked with the ogreExporter.bundle

Then use the install_name_tool to change a given path. Eg.

install_name_tool -change @executable_path/../Frameworks/Ogre.framework/Versions/A/Ogre yourpath/to/ogre/here ogreExporter.bundle 
If you want the new path to be relative to the executable as well, prefix it with @executable_path. You could use an absolute path too..
choofins
Gnoblar

Post by choofins »

I used otools and install_name_tool to change what I needed to and it let me successfully load the plugin into Maya. Thanks for the help!

Is this plugin command line only? I am unable to find a menu anywhere.

Thanks again.
guido
Gnoblar

Post by guido »

Could you guys put up the exporter for mac again, the link above no longer works...
lavz24
Gnoblar

Post by lavz24 »

HI,

How could I get the Maya 2012 exporter [mac]??

Thank you
Grognard
Kobold

Post by Grognard »

metaldev wrote:you should be able to recompile it yourself for mac and your version of maya using the source:

What ogre version will this work with? I tried with 1.8.0 and it won't compile. Will it work with 1.8.1 or do I need 1.9, or what?
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

Grognard wrote:
metaldev wrote:you should be able to recompile it yourself for mac and your version of maya using the source:

What ogre version will this work with? I tried with 1.8.0 and it won't compile. Will it work with 1.8.1 or do I need 1.9, or what?
maybe try this one on Mercurial? Isn't that where they keep the latest source now?
fantomas
Gnoblar

Post by fantomas »

carbonization wrote:Here's one I compiled if you want it.
can somebody reupload mac exporter for maya 2009 32bit?

i am just unable to build in xcode :(

#include "materialSet.h"

namespace OgreMayaExporter
{
	template<> MaterialSet* Singleton<MaterialSet>::msSingleton = 0;
};	//end namespace

Tools/MayaExport/src/materialSet.cpp:23:50: Explicit specialization of 'msSingleton' after instantiation