Free 3D assets !

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: Free 3D Models for Ogre3D !

Post by jacmoe »

Fail:
Available Formats obj, ase, dae, ma, fbx
I removed the link - come back when you offer your models in the Ogre mesh format. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
LiMuBei
Goblin

Re: Free 3D assets !

Post by LiMuBei »

I'd rather have assets not directly in Ogre mesh format...
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Then you'd rather visit the places where those assets can be advertised. :)

The Ogre forums is not free-for-all.

(Looks like we deleted the OP)
zarfius
Gnome

Post by zarfius »

LiMuBei wrote:I'd rather have assets not directly in Ogre mesh format...
I agree. Most of the time you'll want to be able to edit the model yourself anyway and not many 3D modelling programs have an Ogre mesh importer. They usually have one of the above formats though, so it's possible to import them, then export them as an Ogre mesh.
jacmoe wrote:Then you'd rather visit the places where those assets can be advertised. :)
Where's that? :P
jacmoe wrote:The Ogre forums is not free-for-all.
That said, I do agree there needs to be moderation on the forums because making it "free-for-all" would be terrible. However, there seems to be a lack of places to get Ogre mesh format models and I'd welcome a solution to that. Even the small list of places on the wiki (http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Free_Resources) are pretty disappointing and most of them don't have Ogre mesh format either.

I'm not even concerned about them being free, as long as the cost is reasonable. Many times I'd rather buy assets because they come with better licensing terms. Ironically, you tend to have more freedom with assets you pay for than the ones you get for free.
Craftwork Games - hand crafted entertainment.
http://www.craftworkgames.com/
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

People can advertise all they want if they provide their models in Ogre mesh format. :)

The OP has a store, and some free models to whet your appetite.
But it was commercial, without providing a mesh format, which is why it failed. :wink:
OviOvinet
Gnoblar

Post by OviOvinet »

You know, that site is mine.. Sorry for your inconvenience, staff members.
But you know, I tried to help by doing models for free, and when you help you want more people to get your help. I'm sorry but I just can't do for the moment the models in Ogre's format, that will require spending even more time on the exporting, which means less new models..

Also my dear friend, that's not fail :P , I tried to make the models in the most frequently used formats :mrgreen:
zarfius wrote:
LiMuBei wrote:I'm not even concerned about them being free, as long as the cost is reasonable. Many times I'd rather buy assets because they come with better licensing terms. Ironically, you tend to have more freedom with assets you pay for than the ones you get for free.
Well you know, I made a very simple licensing : you're free do to anything with the models, except for selling them as 3d models, or distributing them in another site similar to that where they are hosted initially (my site). Of course the worst thing would be doing that and claiming that those are your models, made by you.

But you are free to do anything you want, edit, use them anywhere, in any kind of project, be it commercial or free. And you're not asked anywhere to say you got your models from my site.
zarfius
Gnome

Post by zarfius »

jacmoe wrote:I removed the link - come back when you offer your models in the Ogre mesh format. :wink:
OviOvinet wrote:You know, that site is mine..
Thanks OviOvinet, I used my brain (and Google) to find your website by searching for your username and finding another post you did over on gamedev.net. I respect the policy here on the Ogre forum's but at the end of the day all I wanted to do was have a look at your models.
OviOvinet
Gnoblar

Post by OviOvinet »

zarfius wrote: Thanks OviOvinet, I used my brain (and Google) to find your website by searching for your username and finding another post you did over on gamedev.net. I respect the policy here on the Ogre forum's but at the end of the day all I wanted to do was have a look at your models.
You're very welcome :)
If you like the quality and you need some models that you don't have, you can request in the forum, and I'll model that. I'm low on Ideas anyway, so it would be nice to have some requests.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

The smart thing to do would be to add at least a couple of free ogre meshes to your collection. Then you can link to a page with those ogre meshes, and from there the user can discover all your other non-ogre meshes.

And yeah, non-ogre formats often are more useful at the asset building stage. Bit tricky though, since we wouldn't want the forum overwhelmed by "free model" threads where none were in .mesh format. Its easy enough to find free model pages, so it makes sense that only those who go the extra step and make .mesh format models get to advertise here.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
AWM Mars
Halfling

Post by AWM Mars »

As a supporter of Ogitor, and of course Ogre... I created some free model assets for the Orgitor team to distribute/giveaway as part of the programme, to get users started.
In most cases, some have textures already applied, some do not.

You are free to download/use them, providing you do not:
Distribute them as a pack and or singularly as your own models, copyrights remain with me.
You can include them as part of a scene in non-commercial and commercial games/platforms/environments, without any royalties and or payments/credits to me. Please consider acknowledging Ogre in any credits.
In most cases the textures have been sourced from legitimate websites, and the same licensing applies. For textures created by me, the same licensing applies.

http://www.working.yourinside.com/Model ... Models.zip

You may download the total pack from the link above.
In the pack there is:
1) 3 bar fence section
2) 3 legged stool
3) 3 rung steps
4) Arched door
5) Bass Broom
6) Beer Barrel
7) Bookcase/Cupboard
8) British Postbox
9) Door/Frame in a wall section
10) Earth Globe stand
11) Garden Fork
12) Garden Spade
13) Glass of cold beer
14) Inset Postbox
15) Lawn Rake
16) Bucket
17) Dustbin
18) Pole Ladder
19) Roof Truss
20) Round backed Chair
21) Sack Truck
22) Stained Glass Window
23) Stone Arch Window
24) Metal vent grill
25) Plastic Wheelie Bin
26) Window Cleaners ladder
27) Wooden Chair

All the above models are in Ogre Mesh formats along with associated Material files and textures (where applicable). All these models were created solely by myself. Enjoy :)
Politeness is priceless when recieved, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford.
madmarx
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by madmarx »

Well done!
Tutorials + Ogre searchable API + more for Ogre1.7 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/so3dtools/
Corresponding thread : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 93&start=0
OviOvinet
Gnoblar

Post by OviOvinet »

Well, if any of you is willing to help me there, please say; as I already said, for the moment I can't make the models in OGRE's .mesh format, but if there is anyone willing to help me there I will accept.
If not, I'll probably do it myself in the far future.
AWM Mars
Halfling

Post by AWM Mars »

OviOvinet wrote:Well, if any of you is willing to help me there, please say; as I already said, for the moment I can't make the models in OGRE's .mesh format, but if there is anyone willing to help me there I will accept.
If not, I'll probably do it myself in the far future.
Try using either Blender, it has a Ogre exporter, or DeleD (download free version here http://www.delgine.com/index.php?filename=product_deled) again it has a Ogre mesh, material format exporter (you need to download the plug-in seperate http://www.delgine.com/plugins/viewPluginCategories.php.

I would say, send me your models and I'll convert them for you, but like you, I'm tight for time.
Politeness is priceless when recieved, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

If he's charging for those models, make sure that you get paid to do the conversion. :wink:
zarfius
Gnome

Post by zarfius »

AWM Mars wrote:As a supporter of Ogitor, and of course Ogre... I created some free model assets for the Orgitor team to distribute/giveaway as part of the programme
Great idea and thankyou AWM Mars.

There's just one thing that would be helpful though, and it's kind of what the argument has been about in this thread. How about including the original model format so that they can be edited. Ogre mesh format is great for optimised rendering in Ogre, but not many 3D modelling programs have an Ogre importer.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

It might come as a chock to you, but there actually is a world wide web out there... :)

The term is non-negotiable: if you want to advertise models here in our forum, you need to provide them in the Ogre mesh format.

Otherwise, use DeviantArt or any other such art resource.

I don't think we're asking too much. :wink:
AWM Mars
Halfling

Post by AWM Mars »

zarfius wrote:
AWM Mars wrote:As a supporter of Ogitor, and of course Ogre... I created some free model assets for the Orgitor team to distribute/giveaway as part of the programme
Great idea and thankyou AWM Mars.

There's just one thing that would be helpful though, and it's kind of what the argument has been about in this thread. How about including the original model format so that they can be edited. Ogre mesh format is great for optimised rendering in Ogre, but not many 3D modelling programs have an Ogre importer.
There is the dilemma.
If I provide the models in other formats, then to use them, you have to export them into Ogre mesh/material compatible formats, which I have already done, and complied with the forums moderators. In addition, supplying them in other formats could mean they slip out of my control to some degree.
I created the models for the users of DeleD in the first instance, as thats primarily where I make them. In addition, going down the order, Ogitor is a secondary scene manager I use, so offered them the same models but in Ogre formats, same here.
I would say the only draw back of supplying them as .mesh .materials files, is that it would be very hard to make alterations to the normals, and or to put them in a static scene for lightmapping. At the end of the day, it's not my forum.
zarfius
Gnome

Post by zarfius »

zarfius wrote:How about including the original model format so that they can be edited.
jacmoe wrote:The term is non-negotiable: if you want to advertise models here in our forum, you need to provide them in the Ogre mesh format.
AWM Mars wrote:There is the dilemma.
If I provide the models in other formats, then to use them, you have to export them into Ogre mesh/material compatible formats, which I have already done, and complied with the forums moderators.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. My words where "including" the original model format. I didn't say not to export them as an Ogre mesh, that's extremely helpful and complies with the terms of posting on the forums. The problem is that there are very limited options to "edit" an Ogre mesh, so it's very helpful to have the original format used by DeleD as well as the Ogre mesh.
AWM Mars wrote:In addition, supplying them in other formats could mean they slip out of my control to some degree.
This is more of a licensing issue than anything else. If you don't want people to change the model's you need to say so as part of your terms and conditions. There's good description of how to put together a creative commons license on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_licenses)

There's no reason why you can't restrict derivative works on your models, but the problem is that they become less useful that way. There's a bunch of great models over at http://www.lowpolycoop.com/ that have a version of the creative commons license that I prefer personally.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

IMO, AWM Mars is totally free to decide the terms. :wink:
zarfius
Gnome

Post by zarfius »

jacmoe wrote:IMO, AWM Mars is totally free to decide the terms. :wink:
Did someone say that he wasn't? :P
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

No. :)

And I didn't say that other formats isn't allowed either! :D

The deal is:
If people want to advertise their commercial models here, they should take the trouble of converting them to the Ogre mesh format.
That's it.
Of course, they can (and should) provide the models in other formats as well.
If they want to.
zarfius
Gnome

Post by zarfius »

jacmoe wrote:If people want to advertise their commercial models here, they should take the trouble of converting them to the Ogre mesh format.
You know, that's the 5th time you've said that in this thread jacmoe, it must get tiring ;)

This thread has gone through 3 topic changes now, but it has raised one simple issue. There should be a place for posting links to model websites other than the forums. What's the policy about adding a link to the Free Resources page on the wiki? (http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Free+Resources)

In my experience finding 3D assets on the internet is a huge pain in the backside. There are heaps of websites scattered all over the internet with models both free and commercial, but for the most part they are pretty terrible for use in games.

In an ideal world you could download the model, put it in your media diretory and load it into your game. The reality is, most of the time you need to rescale, rotate, tweak, optimise, convert, add data (for physics, sounds) and finally you might end up with something useable.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a website that combined all these things and provided 3D assets that kind of "fit" together. For example, you might have a model of a character and a model of a building, ideally the character would be around the same height as the doorways in the building. Model's of furniture would fit into the rooms of the building and so on... unfortunately, this is not reality (yet).
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Yeah, reality is a pain in the rear, isn't it? :)

The only larger resources of that kind is the WorldForge asset repository and the Ryzom asset repository.
Then maybe the LowPolyCoop initiative.

But, who knows?
Maybe there's more...
zarfius
Gnome

Post by zarfius »

jacmoe wrote:Yeah, reality is a pain in the rear, isn't it? :)
It is :)
zarfius wrote:What's the policy about adding a link to the Free Resources page on the wiki? (http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Free+Resources)
This question was for you btw.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

We have one rule to rule all our Wiki rules:
Be Bold.

The wiki is yours - go ahead. :)