ogre artist's website

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.

would a dedicated OgreArtists website be usefull?

yes
84%
no
8%
whatever...
8%

Total votes: 49

quasi
Gnoblar

ogre artist's website

Post by quasi »

after reading the last 'artist's tools package' thread I've been thinking...

would anyone find a dedicated ogre-artists website usefull?

containing:
-newbie tutorials/step by step compile guide.
-shader tutorials
-tools tutorials/help
-articles
-faqs.
-pre-compiled binaries of any handy tools.
-artists forum.
-gallery.
etc...

Personally, I am using ogre to translate my rendered 3d projects into a realtime medium. As a rendering engine Ogre is amazing for this, but from an artists perspective quite daunting to get started with. All of the information needed is available in the docs and this forum but it is not collected together in a format that would be usefull for all artists. There are sufficient tools available and various toolchains exist but sometimes trying to compile some of these tools with very little programming knowledge can be a nightmare. I think having a dedicated resource would help others avoid these common problems and accelerate the process of content creation.

I have a plenty of ideas and free space available on a good server I use for work...

what do you guys think?

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

That would be useful for the newbie to Orge3D. I agree to have the web site where we can put the progression of R&D from Orge artists.

Semicolon
"Nature is the mother of learning"

SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Quasi, I think a dedicated OGRE tutorial and help site, aimed more at the non-programmer is a very good idea indeed.

There are many useful tips floating around these forums, but to have a central place where you can find them all in an organised manner will be very useful.

Each modelling app comes with their own many quirks, so to have a different section for each (Max, Lightwave, Blender etc.) to group all the tips will make it much easier to find, and will probably save the OGRE forums from getting too cluttered with non-engine specific content.
For example, under 3D Studio Max you could have tips such as these and video tutorials such as this one.

As time goes on, OGRE and its capabilities will grow, and more and more people will start using it. So something like you suggest will one day be a necessity.

Sputnick
Greenskin

Post by Sputnick »

Definitely a good idea.

Tutorials are always good. And I would love to have a repository of Orge graphic ressources (simple meshes, skyboxes, billboard textures, material files, terrain heightmaps, layout skins for GEGUI, etc).

- Sput

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Yep, I wholeheartedly support this - I'm just not even remotely competent to organise or run it; it needs an experienced artist to do so, I think.

Any volunteers?

quasi
Gnoblar

Post by quasi »

:D
I can volunteer to get the framework of the website up and running.

does anyone want to help with this or collecting tutorials/resources/etc?

we should generated a list here of what would be most usefull

toastie
Gnoblar

Post by toastie »

me and a friend of mine are working on a general resource website, with many different subsections for fonts, textures, brushes, tutorials and everything else, so maybe we can just add it to that?
Rest well this night. For tomorrow you sail for the kingdom of Daggerfall.

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

I am more than volunteered to help with the resources. Just grab me when you want. Just give me an e-mail: s_somkeat@yahoo.com

Semicolon
"Nature is the mother of learning"

Sputnick
Greenskin

Post by Sputnick »

I'll be happy to contribute and upload content.
sput@goutte-d-eau.org

- Sput

SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

toastie wrote:me and a friend of mine are working on a general resource website, with many different subsections for fonts, textures, brushes, tutorials and everything else, so maybe we can just add it to that?

Sounds like a plan, Toastie. No point replicating work.
Do you have anything online yet?

ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali »

I wonder how and why? Ogre is looking interested to people who are only artists :shock:

quasi
Gnoblar

Post by quasi »

I wonder how and why? Ogre is looking interested to people who are only artists
I would assume most artists who use ogre to create interesting art would have to have at least a basic understanding of programming. I dont know if any of us are 'only' artists.....
me and a friend of mine are working on a general resource website, with many different subsections for fonts, textures, brushes, tutorials and everything else, so maybe we can just add it to that?
any progress? would be cool to check it out and contribute.

SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

quasi wrote:
I wonder how and why? Ogre is looking interested to people who are only artists
I would assume most artists who use ogre to create interesting art would have to have at least a basic understanding of programming. I dont know if any of us are 'only' artists.....
Imagine an indie game development team using OGRE as the graphics engine. Lets say the artists in the team know and use 3D Studio Max. Non of the programmers in the team want / can afford / have the time to use 3D Max, and non of the artists want / can afford / have the time to learn programming. I am familiar with such a team, Im sure there are many others around and there will be many more to come.

A web site similar to what has been proposed here would be ideal for artists IMHO.

:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

More projects of this kind have been proposed, but none ever really got to see the light of day. I hope this one will fare better...

Lostlogic
Gnoblar

Post by Lostlogic »

Sounds great to me, especially since I'm both an artist and a coder. :)