Maya 2011 32x Native Ogre exporter available

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Maya 2011 32x Native Ogre exporter available

Post by metaldev » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi guys,

I took the time to compile the 'Official' Maya exporter for Maya 2011 32x

you can download it HERE :!:
As always, if you plan to do anything serious with it, I recommend using it with the LFA Scene Manager.

Also I want to thank omniter for his help in getting this update to you.

PS
there is also a Maya 2009 version available HERE (which i did not test myself) that is not listed on the ogre tools page.

enjoy!

NOTES for future devs of this plugin:
To make it work with Ogre 1.7.1 i had to do the same thing that haffax had to do here, because for some reason LodStrategyManager is not instanced automatically. Anyway I don't know if my changes should be checked in because i'm guessing this will probably be fixed in future Ogre versions.
Haffax's fix for mesh magic can be seen here.
0 x

SusanLL
Halfling

Re: Maya 2011 32x Native Ogre exporter available

Post by SusanLL » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:29 pm

metaldev,

You wouldn't have this available for 64x side?

Thanks-
Susan
0 x
SusanLL
3D Modeler, Models and Simulations
BAE Systems, Inc
susan.littleton@baesystems.com

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:46 pm

i don't, unfortunately.

maybe i could do it if someone could educate me on whats involved in making the x64 version as opposed to the regular x32 version. Can it be done on a 32 bit machine for example?
0 x

anubis
Gnoblar

Post by anubis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 am

Sorry , I can not download the file. It seems invaild. Can you check the link again? Thank you very much..
0 x

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:54 pm

seems ok for me.

If you still can't get it perhaps you can pm me your email,
or can a mod reading this post it to Ogre's tools download page?
0 x

anubis
Gnoblar

Post by anubis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:08 am

Thank you very much..
0 x

Alexisfire
Gnoblar

Post by Alexisfire » Mon May 02, 2011 8:30 pm

Thank you very much! :)
0 x

maxiwill
Halfling

Post by maxiwill » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:20 pm

hi :D

first of all - thanks a lot just doing this for us :D

I have a few questions though, maybe I missed these informations along the learning path, but I've tried searching it everywhere I can think of :oops:

I'm still a newbie to maya model creating, so I've been wondering how the models animated in maya will always be correctly exported to Ogre-usable format?

I've read Pro Ogre3D Programming like 5 times in the animation chapter trying to get a better understanding of how the animations should be set up in maya to make sure the animations can be blended. I probably don't remember everything from the chapter, but I do know there are three possible ways of creating an animation: blendshape, vertex based, and skeletal animation.... but I still don't get how an animation of these three types are created in maya ( I do know I shouldn't use IK handles... I know with certain plugins you can make that happen, but I dont want to complicate things just yet )...

I know you animate a model using keyframe, or set driven keys, or deform, or others, but I failed to understand how they're different in terms of using them in Ogre

I'm ordering the maya official book to try and understand the theories behind all the maya nodes, but that might not be sufficient to understand how it gets converted to Ogre-readable :D

So if you would be kind to point me in the right direction to understand how exactly the pipeline of maya model and animation creation -> exporter -> ogre works, it would greatly help newbies like me :P
0 x

SusanLL
Halfling

Post by SusanLL » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:02 pm

I second your request.

Question the book you referred too.. "Pro Ogre3D Programming", was that a good read? I've seen another one at Barnes and Nobles awhile back but as I'm an artist (Modeler) and not a programmer, would you suggest it for clarification on issues such as material building, techniques, ect?

-SusanLL
0 x
SusanLL
3D Modeler, Models and Simulations
BAE Systems, Inc
susan.littleton@baesystems.com

maxiwill
Halfling

Post by maxiwill » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:33 pm

hi Susan :D

the book is directed at audiences that understands a working knowledge of C++, I'm sure that anyone can read it, but one that has programming knowledge and skills will definitely have an easier time reading it.
It provided me a lot info on how Ogre works, its a book with a lot of text for such a basic tutorial :D

But if you decided to get it, I'd suggest another book as well, one that is published more recently, called Ogre 3D 1.7 Beginner's Guide by Felix Kerger.
It's a book that dives into Ogre from the "Learn by DOing" angle ;)
It has very simple source codes from the Basic Tutorial series on the Ogre wiki, and with abit more explanations after each section of code.
However the book assumes you to have a working knowledge of standard C++, with Object Oriented Programming experience, as it is not going to explain anything constructors or functions or inheritance ( it will assume you will understand them implicitly )

If you're considering diving into the programming realm as an artist, I'd highly suggest you grab some C++ books first :)

Oh and yes, the Pro Ogre3d Programming book will explain how the material scripts and techniques are written, but not exactly thorough, its pages span from 113 to 142, which is only 29 pages and some of the pages are about shaders :)
Combine the book and the Ogre wiki, I'm sure you can understand how material is implemented in Ogre.

btw, can you also suggest some Maya books for me that will explain the node concepts in maya and how everything in maya is implemented?

I'm working on several character animations ( mostly unhuman creatures ), and I am running into alot of problems that I assume the reason is because I'm not understand how the nodes work :oops: specifically in how I should animate the models to get them imported into Ogre so I can blend them together, like say : I have an animation of turning my head 90 degrees to the right, and another that nods forward 90 degrees, so how should I animate them so I can import it into Ogre and blend them together like, say :
blend ( 0.5 * HeadForward ) with ( 0.3 * HeadRight ) ?
0 x

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:36 pm

i started on some video tuts ... hopefully will help you guys and others in the future. I might have em ready in a day or 2.
0 x

maxiwill
Halfling

Post by maxiwill » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:36 pm

can't wait to see it !! :)

i'm seriously all excited right now :D
0 x

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:03 am

maxiwill wrote:thanks :D

can't wait to see it !! :)

i'm seriously all excited right now :D

i didn't forget about these fyi :D

they were just WAY harder to make than i anticipated... i thought they would take maybe 2 or 3 days.
Instead its taken me a week and im still not done!

so anyway im still working on them but i thought i should post what i have since it might help some people out as they are:
SO HERE THEY ARE
0 x

maxiwill
Halfling

Post by maxiwill » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:59 am

metaldev wrote:
i didn't forget about these fyi :D

they were just WAY harder to make than i anticipated... i thought they would take maybe 2 or 3 days.
Instead its taken me a week and im still not done!

so anyway im still working on them but i thought i should post what i have since it might help some people out as they are:
SO HERE THEY ARE
Thank you Sir!!!!1 :D

I've been looking at your profile 2 times a day to see if a new post has come out for the past few days

Now I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside :lol:
0 x

jsding
Greenskin

Post by jsding » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:59 am

Any chance to get the maya 2011 32x exporter for Mesh 1.8.1 version?

Thanks.
0 x

metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:03 am

jsding wrote:Any chance to get the maya 2011 32x exporter for Mesh 1.8.1 version?

Thanks.
I don't know how to do this actually. All the viewers seem to always say its out of date. Last version I linked to was 1.7... and all the 1.7 viewers said the same thing. Is this possible? or maybe i did something wrong when I linked it? Isn't it just supposed to get the format from Mesh::Serializer? If anyone could lend me some insight into this I could try to look into it when I get a chance.
0 x