Maya 6.0.1 Exporter (32 bits)

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
paflechien
Gnoblar

Maya 6.0.1 Exporter (32 bits)

Post by paflechien »

Hi everyone. Here is my little problem, which took me a great amount of time so far: having a working maya 6.0.1 exporter. i'll explain what i've done, and what are the problems i've encountered.

I've downloaded ogre src 1.7.3 and ogre sdk vc10 1.7.3. I have to mention now that it's barely impossible to find a compiled exporter for maya 6.0.1, letting me the only option to compile it myself.
I first followed instructions found here: http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Maya+Exporter, which are:
  1. Build exporter linking with the libs for the maya version you are using. You can find those inside $path\Alias\MayaX.X\include and $path\Alias\MayaX.X\lib directories.
  2. Copy Ogrenew/Tools/MayaExport/exporter/lib/release/ogreExport.mll to Alias/MayaX.X/bin/plug-ins/
  3. Copy Ogrenew/Tools/MayaExport/mel/exporter/*.* to Alias/MayaX.X/scripts/others/
  4. Start Maya
  5. Type ogreExporter at the commandline to start the exporter, or get it from the HotBox of Maya.
So, in "ogre_src_v1-7-3\Tools\MayaExport\scripts", there's a wonderful .sln (for vc8) that i've opened with vc9 (it made a little conversion). I've updated all maya's include/lib directories to match to good ones as said in step 1.
After fixing some problems like "ogrebuildsettings.h" "ogre.h" "boost/thread/tss.hpp" files not found (missing include dir in vcproj), there's still were link error with libboost_thread-vc90-mt-1_44 and libboost_date_time-vc90-mt-1_44. It became tricky, as the only versions provided in the ogre sdk are libboost_libname-vc100-mt-1_44. So I looked everywhere for anything pointing to those libs: in source files (#pragma comment()), in vcproj's configuration, etc. It's seems that one of the required lib for maya exporter has a link to those 2 missing libs. However, after some researches, it appears that specifying to ignore those libs may end to a successful build. And it did.
So, here I am with an ogreExporter.mll (not to mention that the output filename in the vcproj differs from the one in the instructions above). I put it in the Maya plug-ins directory, and when I try to load it from the plug-in manager in Maya, I get the following error:
// Error: line 1: The specified module could not be found.
(ogreExporter) //
Some researches indicate that this error occurs when Maya can't found some .dll required by the plug-in. But without having their names, it's quite hard to know which ones !

I was quite surprised that maya exporter's vcproj seems to contain so much configuration mistakes (include dir, missing boost libs). I rather think I messed up the whole thing, but instead of unzipping the sources and the sdk, I haven't made any changes. Does anyone have already successfully compiled and used a maya 6.0.1 exporter ?

Any help would be appreciated.

(sorry for the grammar and writing, i'm french ^^)
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Re: Maya 6.0.1 Exporter (32 bits)

Post by metaldev »

did you remember to enable the plugin?

window > settings/prefs > plug-in manager
paflechien
Gnoblar

Post by paflechien »

actually, the error
// Error: line 1: The specified module could not be found.
(ogreExporter) //
occurs when i try to enable it in the plug-in manager
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

yea... i'm pretty sure its mismatched.
I was quite surprised that maya exporter's vcproj seems to contain so much configuration mistakes (include dir, missing boost libs). I rather think I messed up the whole thing, but instead of unzipping the sources and the sdk, I haven't made any changes. Does anyone have already successfully compiled and used a maya 6.0.1 exporter
this is expected btw, because Ogre recently added the Boost dependency, and the exporter hadn't been updated to the newest version of Ogre.

Back to the subject,
I went back through my emails with bisco (who wrote the original exporter) and I'm not sure there was ever a stable Maya 6.0 release. In my emails with him we are testing out together the 7.0 one to debug it... and this was in 2006 lol maybe you should update?

on the other hand... I do have a MEL exporter that exports to ogre .mesh, but it only works on static objects (no animation/skeletons/ etc) its very basic. I also haven't tested it.

EDIT:
I think i may have found your file!
do a search on google for : ogreExporter_bin_maya6.0e.zip

i found a file here:
http://210.76.97.209/gf/?action=sourceid&sid=6360
and here!
http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet ... a6.0e.zip/

let me know if it works out for you! expect some bugs though it will be very old.