Blender 2.5 Exporter [Unofficial]

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
hartsantler
Greenskin

Blender 2.5 Exporter [Unofficial]

Post by hartsantler »

<moderator>
Originally posted in the official Ogre Blender export topics (new and old), but split into it's own topic as it's not official.
</moderator>

The latest version of blender2ogre for blender2.58 is now very stable, and 100x faster for exporting large meshes than older versions.

Features: shape animation, armature animation, auto-collapse modifiers, quick preview in OgreMeshy, and nearly full support for FixedPipeline Materials options (including texture animation options).

If you just want a simple .mesh exporter, it is easy to use blender2ogre, just select what you want to export. The overhead from exporting OgreDotScene is very low.

http://blender2ogre.googlecode.com/file ... -0.5.4.zip
Last edited by hartsantler on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.
xieu90
Gnoblar

Re: Blender 2.5 Exporter [Official]

Post by xieu90 »

strange
whenever someone asks about update of this exporter then we get a lot of reply about blender2ogre. So I tried it and I got this and that error. may be blender2ogre should make some video tutorial how to install it and how to export meshes with animation before reply here again.
@lf3thn4d
any new update ?
hartsantler
Greenskin

Post by hartsantler »

@xieu90, i will reply here as often as i like, thanks. By the way before suggesting I not reply here, you should have counted the number of times i have posted on this thread, the previous post was my first post on this thread.

Installing blender2ogre:
. From blender, go to User-Preferences->Add-Ons->Install-Add-Ons
. pick io_export_ogreDotScene.py
. Then Install OgreCommandLineTools:
. Windows: get OgreCommandLineTools_1.6.3.msi and install to the default path
. Linux: apt-get install ogre-tools (you can also build from source or use Wine)
. OSX: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 75#p431851

For exporting animations see the "examples" folder.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

hartsantler wrote:@xieu90, i will reply here as often as i like, thanks.
Sorry, dude.. But I just had to move you out.
I split it out into it's own topic because it's not the official Ogre Blender exporter.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
antont
Gnoblar

Re: Blender2ogre

Post by antont »

I don't think that was a good move -- people reading the other thread now don't get the information.

What people want is a working exporter, and currently blender2ogre is it -- if the problem is that it's not official, well, you can stamp it official and be happy :)

EDIT: i do remember and agree with the arguments in the other thread, that the official one needs clear code structure and understand lefthanded's different gui ideas etc. i still think it might well be worth a shot to achieve those by building on the blender2ogre basis. but point is mostly that seemed that the person asking the question there needs an exporter, and Brett's answer was helpful -- now seems unfortunate that the question is again not answered.
~Toni
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I think Blender2Ogre is a nice tool - but he posted the same announcement in both official Blender topics, the new one and the old one.
And that is rude IMO.
So I deleted one and split out the other.
He really should keep the pimping of his project in his own project topic.
If it was a bad move, he did the moving, not I. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
antont
Gnoblar

Post by antont »

i don't see how it is 'his' project - it is open source for any ogre user who needs blender 2.5 export. i figure you get my point how unfriendly it is to not have information about it when people ask, apparently thinking that there is no exporter they could use. anyhoo, i hope having this separate thread is informative enough .. perhaps the title could be more informative, like 'blender 2.5 export'.
~Toni
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

hartsantler is free to change the topic title. Usually nothing we mods like to get involved without the thread opener...
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Svenstaro
Greenskin

Re: Blender 2.5 Exporter [Unofficial]

Post by Svenstaro »

Where do you put the new code? Your hg repo seems very out of date.
antont
Gnoblar

Re: Blender 2.5 Exporter [Unofficial]

Post by antont »

I think it's in the zip in google code, he's not using hg (yet, I hope)
~Toni