.mesh Import question

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
dmlarsen30
Gnoblar

.mesh Import question

Post by dmlarsen30 »

Hi,

I'm a 3D animator and back in 2007 I did project for a client in which I exported my models from Maya to Ogre .mesh format. My client contacted me last week asking for a change to the project. Unfortunately, my original Maya files are either lost or unreadable. My client can provide me with the .mesh files. Can I use Blender or some other tool to convert the .mesh files into a format that Maya can read?

Thanks
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: .mesh Import question

Post by spacegaier »

AFAIK, the exporters cannot work with .MESH files since they are binary and non reversible. They can open .MESH.XML files which most exporters output when generating the .MESH file.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
dmlarsen30
Gnoblar

Post by dmlarsen30 »

So there's no way for me to convert a .mesh file into another 3D format like .obj?
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Ah...wait: I forgot something. The latest version of the OgreXMLConverter can convert a .MESH file back to a .MESH.XML file that can then be imported in some modeling tools via an Ogre Importer, e.g. Blender (not sure if there is an Ogre <-> Maya importer).

You could then try: Import into Blender, export from there as .OBJ (or something else), import into Maya.

More info here: http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/OGRE+Exporters
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
dmlarsen30
Gnoblar

Post by dmlarsen30 »

Thanks very much for your help! It took me a while to:

-Get the correct version of Blender
-Get the correct version of Python
-Find the Import Ogre python script
-Put the Import Ogre python script in the right folder

LOL. But, I fumbled my way through it and now I have the data I need.

Thanks again!
dmlarsen30
Gnoblar

Post by dmlarsen30 »

I thought I would post a follow-up to this thread describing for posterity what I did on the chance someone else has the same problem.

I needed to get an object, let's call it object.mesh into Maya where I could work with it. Here's what I did:

1. Download the OgreCommandLineTools and use OgreXMLConverter to convert object.mesh into object.mesh.xml
2. Download and install Blender version 2.49b (Use this specific version)
3. Download ogre_import.py and put it in the Blender scripts folder (see 3b below)
3b. Optionally download the Ogre Exporter and put it in the Blender scripts folder. Scroll down and read the comments for information on where to locate the Blender scripts folder.
4. Download and install Python version 2.6.4

You should now be able to import the object.mesh.xml object you created earlier into Blender and export it to the format of your choice.
chrisGopher11
Gnoblar

Post by chrisGopher11 »

Hey dmlarsen,

I followed your steps exactly but couldn't get it to work properly. I get an error in Blender saying: Python error check console.

Any ideas?
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

chrisGopher11 wrote:Hey dmlarsen,

I followed your steps exactly but couldn't get it to work properly. I get an error in Blender saying: Python error check console.

Any ideas?
Highly possible that you have the wrong Python version installed. I believe the instructions given above are for Blender 2.4x which uses Python 2.6x, which is way different from Python 3.x.
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
chrisGopher11
Gnoblar

Post by chrisGopher11 »

Hey

Actually I just followed the link to download Python here: http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6.4/
So I'm assuming that's the correct version.

Thanks
chrisGopher11
Gnoblar

Post by chrisGopher11 »

Hey Mind Calamity I followed his steps exactly. I got the Python version from here: http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6.4/
So if you have any other suggestions that might help, let me know.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

You might find more help with that blender error over at the blender forums.
I also got quite a few hits by typing "Python error check console blender" in google.
Slava39
Gnoblar

Post by Slava39 »

chrisGopher11 wrote:Hey Mind Calamity I followed his steps exactly. I got the Python version from here: http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6.4/
So if you have any other suggestions that might help, let me know.

I had the same thing, but I installed Python version 2.6.6 and now everything works without problems.
avengre
Halfling

Post by avengre »

I know i'm dragging this post from the Crypts, but does anyone have a backup of the old svn/ogreaddons that may have the mentioned Ogre Importer (http://wiki.ogre3d.org/BlenderImport) saved, or know where it may have been moved to?
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

Hello,

I have found this https://sourceforge.net/p/ogreaddons/co ... derimport/.

Hopefully it will be useful.