Need artists help !

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

Hi Banania:

I couldn't export my model with biped animation with your exporter. I don't know what I should do next. Please let me know about this error.

Thanks,
Semicolon
"Nature is the mother of learning"

Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

I couldn't export my model with biped animation with your exporter. I don't know what I should do next. Please let me know about this error.
Please be a little more specific about your error. What happens ? An error during export ? during conversion ? Copying the end of your maxscript listener window would be a good idea to see where it crashes if it crashes during the export. Copy the content of the OgreXMLConverter.log if it crashes during conversion.
Do you use Physique or Skin ? Did you try to attach some bones on your biped ?

Is it not possible that you send me this biped character by email on the address I gave in one of the previous posts ? It is hard to debug a script when you don't have data.... :cry:

Thanks for your feedback, anyway.
Banania

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

Hi Banania,

Sorry about my last post. I was too hurried. Sure, I am willing to give you my model and here you go. I have already sent the file to you at the e-mail you posted. Please let me know what I should do to be able to fix this.

The file name is "Shelly_Test1.rar" from "s_somkeat_@_yahoo.com" to "bananupheNOSPAM@hotmail.com" (without "NOSPAM")

What it happened is when I export the UV with the mesh, during the export. Another error is when I export skeleton (biped), also during the export. It said something about "samplerate." Some functions are unknown when I tried to use and some are unclear about the use. (However this exporter is not the final version yet, so this is not to complain about anything.)

By the way, I am also willing to write down a manual for your exporter with some screenshots, as your request. It is also my pleasure to help other MAX users with this exporter.

Another question is if the mesh file from this exporter able to be loaded with the last Orge version (0.14)?

Thanks a lot,
Semicolon

Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

The file name is "Shelly_Test1.rar" from "s_somkeat_@_yahoo.com" to "bananupheNOSPAM@hotmail.com" (without "NOSPAM")
thx. did receive it. I'll have a look right now.
By the way, I am also willing to write down a manual for your exporter with some screenshots, as your request. It is also my pleasure to help other MAX users with this exporter.
That's very kind of you. I may probably accept your offer but not yet. It would be a waste of your time since the interface is changing.
Another question is if the mesh file from this exporter able to be loaded with the last Orge version (0.14)?
I guess it depends on the version of OgreXMLConverter you are using to produce your .mesh file.

Thx again.
Banania

Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

Quote:

thx. did receive it. I'll have a look right now.
I cannot open your file because the use of mental ray. I am missing mrMaterialAttribs.gup

However, I can reproduce the error you got ("Error1_UV.jpg") with another mesh and am working on it.
Banania

Paragon
Gnoblar

Post by Paragon »

Ok, I can confirm that in everyone of my tests the smoothing groups actually came out in OGRE perfectly! There was one time it didn't work but I think that could've been my fault, I'll check on that later. Great job Banania!

Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

Paragon wrote:Ok, I can confirm that in everyone of my tests the smoothing groups actually came out in OGRE perfectly! There was one time it didn't work but I think that could've been my fault, I'll check on that later. Great job Banania!
Thx. One issue down, 845 more to go ! :wink:
Banania

Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

However, I can reproduce the error you got ("Error1_UV.jpg") with another mesh and am working on it.
I think I got that one. It is possible that the other one was related.
Please try it by downloading this exporter :
http://bananialair.ifrance.com/bananial ... xport2.zip
There is a small documentation here (which might not be completely accurate) : http://bananialair.ifrance.com/bananial ... /index.htm

Make sure 3dsmax is not open or make sure to restart it if it is before running it because 3dsmax needs to reevaluate the new script functions beforeworking with them. otherwise, he will complain about undefined stuff.
Banania

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

Hi Banania:

Sorry about the file. I didn't mention about the version of 3DSMAX. Shelly_Test1.max is the file from 3DSMAX 6 which has mental ray. Please try run the file on 3DSMAX 6. If there is still problem opening it, please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks for your updated exporter.

Semicolon

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

OK... I think I probably know the problem. Maybe I have to rerun the exporter script before exporting. This may be because of the exporter script conflict of the previous version of the exporter.

Confirm the exporter can export the mesh with smoothing group, animation with biped and bones attachment node, and material perfectly. Sorry about my last defective test. :p

Excellent work!!

Semicolon

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

Hi Banania:

Hmm... Must give a big apologize for the last post. It seems like I couldn't export UV correctly since the texture doesn't look quite right. The bone attached with biped doesn't show in the xml file. However the bone with biped animation could be exported very fine. Please let me know what I should do to fix this.

Thanks a lot.
Semicolon

edited: I need to explain a little bit. I could export the biped with bone but I don't see the bone node in the .skeleton.xml file. really sorry
Last edited by semicolon on Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qlippoth
Gnoblar

Post by Qlippoth »

Banania:

I downloaded the new exporter from you site but i cant seem to figure out how to set it up properly =P

First I just extracted it all into the 3dsmax directory and started the program but that did nothing, so I tried runing the init script and toolbar script from max with Run script but that didnt produce any visible results either, nothing happens.

I then copy-pasted the ogreToolbar script over the script in the old exporters button to open the export rollout. This did produce the new rollout but I get a lot of errors when i try to export any mesh... =P

Heh, I am probably doing something wrong here..
How should I do to set up the exporter with MAX?
The old exporter had a .cui file that created a toolbar with exporter buttons but no such file can be foun in the new version..

Qlippoth
Gnoblar

Post by Qlippoth »

I am not sure, but i think I got the exporter set up as it should..

I do however get this error:

MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Unknown property: "rotation" in $Bone:Bone01 @ [-69.9

refering to this script code:

Code: Select all

-- Bones	
	else (
		rotContr = obj.rotation.controller ;
		posContr = obj.pos.controller ;

This error appears only if I try to export skeletons, exporting meshes seems to work as it should.

Qlippoth
Gnoblar

Post by Qlippoth »

Hmm... if i convert the bones to editable meshes the exporting works fine...

I ran into a new problem however...
Ogre complains that the mesh is not animated.
Sounds like it could be the same problem Semicolon is having.

EDIT:
The (mymesh).skeleton.xml file also turns up almost empty when i did this.

<skeleton>
	<bones>
	</bones>
	<bonehierarchy>
	</bonehierarchy>
	<animations>
		<animation name="swim" length="3.0">
			<tracks>
			</tracks>
		</animation>
	</animations>
</skeleton>
If i compare this file to the ones when I didnt make the bones to editable meshes those files are much bigger and contains bones and boneshierarchy information but those are cut off in the <tracks> part where the error I mentioned occur.

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

Hi Qlippoth:

I just wish to explain how to set up the exporter a little bit for everyone who is trying to test this exporter.

Orge exporter setup:

1. Unzip the file "3dsmaxexport2.zip" to 3DSMAX folder (the root folder.)
2. Open your 3DSMAX and run MAXScript. (choose MAXScript/Run Script...)
3. Go to folder 3DSMAX\scripts\orge\macros and run "ogreToolbar.mcr"

4. After you run the "ogreToolbar.mcr" there is nothing appears on screen yet. You just need to go to /Customize/Customize User Interface... Choose Orge Tools from Category. Under the list there will be (maybe 3 icons) "Orge Exporter" icon shows up.
5. Create a new tab with the name "Orge Exporter" (or whatever you want) and drag the icon to the tab.
6. That's it. You are able to run the exporter. Everything you need is in that little icon. You don't need the other 2 icons: Skeleton Tools and Material Tools (in case those two appear.)

The setup of MAXScript is not so hard. It's just a bit confusing when you cannot see what appears after you run the script.

Semicolon

Qlippoth
Gnoblar

Post by Qlippoth »

Thanks a lot =D

Well now I set it up as I should do and got the Ogre Exporter rollout =)
I still get lots of errors..

I have made a simple test mesh dolphin and animated it using bones and a skin modifier.

When i press the Ogre exporter button i get the rollout, but also these errors:

-- Error occurred in OgreExportAnimation()
--  Frame:
--   Anims: undefined
--   exportAnims: undefined
--   select: #()
>> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Type error: Call needs function or class, got: undefined <<
If I continue anyways I get a variety of errors.

If I leave out the skeleton part and just exports the mesh with 1 UV channel (which the object has) I get the following error:

-- Error occurred in export()
--  Frame:
--   exportingMeshDone: false
--   options: exportOptions firstFrame:undefined lastFrame:undefined sampleRate:undefined length:undefined animName:undefined scale:1.0 flipYZ:true flipNormal:false exportColours:false exportUV:true
--   exportingSkelDone: false
--   mat: undefined
--   select: undefined
--   mediaPath: undefined
--   m: $Editable_Mesh:Dolphin @ [0.000000,0.000000,0.000000]
--   OptionConv: undefined
--   outfile: undefined
>> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Unknown property: "UVchannels" in exportOptions firstFrame:undefined lastFrame:undefined sampleRate:undefined length:undefined animName:undefined scale:1.0 flipYZ:true flipNormal:false exportColours:false exportUV:true <<
If i try agiain and deselect Export UV sets, the export will produce a xml file that can be converted to a mesh file.

If i select the skeleton part, then write a name for the animation in the Animations field and click Add I get:

-- Error occurred in addAnimation()
--  Frame:
--   Array: #("Swim")
>> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Unknown property: "names" in undefined <<
Setting these settings in a OctupusExport modifier and then pressing the get settings button produces the same error

Ignoring the error and pressing Export causes:

-- Error occurred in export()
--  Frame:
--   exportingMeshDone: false
--   options: exportOptions firstFrame:undefined lastFrame:undefined sampleRate:0.0 length:undefined animName:undefined scale:1.0 flipYZ:true flipNormal:false exportColours:false exportUV:false
--   exportingSkelDone: false
--   mat: undefined
--   select: undefined
--   mediaPath: undefined
--   m: $Editable_Mesh:Dolphin @ [0.000000,0.000000,0.000000]
--   OptionConv: undefined
--   outfile: undefined
>> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Argument count error: writeSkeleton wanted 3, got 4 <<
Bugs, an incorrect setup or bad luck? =P

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

Hi Qlippoth:

I have had parts of those errors before. I think those errors may come from the setup. Please try delete all of the previous version of the exporter first and copy all of the files from Banania's links to the folders.

I found only 2 errors from this exporter which are UVs exporting and biped with bone attachment nodes. The exporter doesn't seem to export the UVs correctly. And the bone under the biped structure doesn't seem to show up in the .skeleton.xml file, even though the exporter could export the biped with bones successfully.

Semicolon

Qlippoth
Gnoblar

Post by Qlippoth »

Thanks, that worked. I found that I had three different versions of the exporter mixed up in a mess =P

When I deleted everything and then set up the new files I still could not export my animation but I have found why:

I used a 'HD Solver' for the movement of the skeleton, thats why it says that Rotation is a undefined property...

If I either just animate the bones manually or use a HI solver with 'Enable' off it will work as it will generate track keys, using a HD solver wont work though because the transform properties of the individual bones are not available.

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

Hi Qlippoth:

You're welcome. You also get the cool information about HD solver as well. This could be listed in my exporter constraints.

Thanks,
Semicolon

Qlippoth
Gnoblar

Post by Qlippoth »

It works quite well now.. =P

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

Hi Qlippoth:

Wow that looks very nice. My question is whether or not you are using MAX 6 to export your model. Right now I am using MAX 6 and having a problem with UVs and biped with bones. If you are using MAX 6, could your please explain some more about how you exporter your mesh with animation?

Thanks a lot,
Semicolon
Last edited by semicolon on Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

Hi,

Sorry I had to leave a few days for my work. I let you on your own but you seem to have handled it quite fine without me.

Well, back into business .... I don't really know where to start....

1) I read a post about converting a bone into mesh. That is really not a good idea since the converted bone will not be exported in the skeleton. A skeleton part should be a standard bone or a biped bone to be exported. Everything else won't be exported. So if you convert your skeleton to mesh, nothing will be exported in the skeleton and the mesh won't be animated.

2) I don't use MAX6. Is there a way to open that model with MAX5.1 ? I may be able to borrow MAX6 from a friend of mine but it is not very legal and it would be a pain in the arse.

3) About the UVs problem, I don't understand and will have a look at it right now. As well as your biped with bones problem.

4) If I forgot something, please remind me. Two days away made me miss a lot of posts and I don't have time to read everything....
Banania

Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

I did find the uv export problem. I asked an artist friend who is working with max6 to export it for me. No need to go at his place and kick him out of his office on this one, that was a pretty basic mistake.
When I rewrote that part, I had a doubt on the method to use. I chose one and tried and it seemed like it was working fine. Well, I should have chosen the other one....

http://bananialair.ifrance.com/bananialair/shelly.jpg

Don't rush on the version, it isn't updated yet. I'll edit this post when it's done.

I hope there isn't any more issue with the uv export part. As for the "biped with bones", it may take a little more time.

@semicolon : Has your shelly model some bones attached the biped ?

[EDIT]
I updated my version.
It's the same link :
http://bananialair.ifrance.com/bananial ... xport2.zip

Thanks to you who are helping me, especially semicolon who sent me a model and wrote some instructions on how to install and run the script on this thread. This is more than helpful...
[/EDIT]
Banania

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

Hi Banania:

I'm glad that you are back with the latest updated version of exporter. I can tell the exporter can export UV much better than before. However I can still a problem a little bit in some areas. The texture in small areas seem to display some chaotic stretch as before.

By the way I think that model might not have bone attached on biped structure. I'll need to check that out after I am home. If it doesn' t have bones on it. I will send you the new model via your e-mail later.

Thanks a lot for the updates.
Semicolon

Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

semicolon wrote: I'm glad that you are back with the latest updated version of exporter. I can tell the exporter can export UV much better than before. However I can still a problem a little bit in some areas. The texture in small areas seem to display some chaotic stretch as before.

By the way I think that model might not have bone attached on biped structure. I'll need to check that out after I am home. If it doesn' t have bones on it. I will send you the new model via your e-mail later.
Semicolon
Thanks. Please send screenshots of your stretch problems at the same time you send the model.
Banania