Choosing the exporting pipeline

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
progmars
Halfling

Choosing the exporting pipeline

Post by progmars »

I have read so much about various exporters for Ogre 3D, it seems each of them have some problems, so it is hard to choose the right (and mostly free/open source) tools to get things done easy.

My game contents can be described as following:
- game characters - humanoids only
- animation - bones only (also for facial animations)
- materials - nothing complex, I still feel like a noob in texturing...

But there is "a catch": I need also some predefined vertex animations (morphs) and recolorable materials.
From the user perspective, the user will be able to choose the base mesh and deform it a bit (using pre-defined morphs, like adjusting the "fatness" of the character, and also some facial features). After those deformations, user clicks Apply button and I need to save the modified mesh as his avatar mesh (thus avoiding using vertex animations later in-game).
Also the user should be able to take some base texture and fill the colors with custom values. As far as I know, Sims3 works like this, and I have seen some posts here about recoloring materials in Ogre3D, so this should be doable.

As I am mostly a programmer, my 3D exporting pipeline idea is pretty vague now. The Blender exporter seems still a bit tricky to use, but I guess, there is no better free alternative, so I'll have to be patient and get used to Blender exporter.

If you have a stable exporting pipeline (preferably, using only free/open-source tools) for humanoid animations, I will be glad to hear about your experience - what 3D software/exporter combination has proven to be the most hassle-free for you?

It would be especially great to have a good rigged and well-tested low-poly human model (with high-res also available, if I need to tweak something) with bones for facial animation, so if you have used such a model in your games, it would be great to know. I have seen some pretty good free rigged models, bot they usually do not have facial bone rigs :( .
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Re: Choosing the exporting pipeline

Post by metaldev »

I think you are stuck with blender, because all the other 3D software either cost money (maya/max/ etc) or are not going to fill your needs (sketchup/ etc).
progmars
Halfling

Post by progmars »

I found a thread which is very similar to my problem:
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63051

Blender exporter is evolving, so it should be stable enough soon and I can wait, I have much coding to do until then. Or if it does not reach the stable state, I can for some time use 3DS Max educational version (at least while I am connected with my local university).

But the second issue for me is evaluating free resources. I could choose a 3D rigged human model which initially seems fine. And then I try to add a facial rig to it, following some of the tutorials, and I discover that the mesh topology is not appropriate for skeletal animation. Or maybe the rig is not adaptable for the free motion capture data from CMU. So I need to start looking again. Trial-and-error hell.

I have watched many 3D modelling/animation tutorials, but they mostly were specific to their own tagret audience (animators, renderers, modelers). It is hard to find videos which show how to create and animate a high-res mesh with skeletal facial rig and then export it to a low poly version for some game engine.

I have no experience to evaluate: this model is good because it has xxx, but this will not work for me because of yyy. I would trust any experienced 3D content creator, who would suggest me a good model for my needs, but I think, experienced 3D content creators create their models from scratch :lol: so they have no time to explore and evaluate freebies.
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

I have time to give you a small advice:

simplify.

If you have no knowledge of art pipelines, why would you begin by making a high res character, presumably baking down normals to a low poly mesh, blended weights etc. ? motion capture?!
I don't mean to discourage you, but IMO, that's sort of like someone's first programming project being a networked 3D game.
Let me relieve you of your delusion that motion capture will somehow magically integrate with a skeleton: motion capture is no panacea and you need someone who knows their sh*t in animation and is comfortable with rigging and character animation curves - or you are just entering a world of pain.

Why not make more representative art?
Here are 4 examples of simple characters that could work successfully in a project but wouldn't require a cutting edge character pipeline:

Otherwise if this is not possible, I might recommend hiring or partnering with a professional artist.
(is this not a similar advice you would give an artist who wanted to start learning programming by making a networked 3D game?)
That said, if you are just trying to learn, have at it - I'm sure you will learn a lot from trying. But if you are doing this for a client or something... beware.