Creating models in-game?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
kelicant
Gnoblar

Creating models in-game?

Post by kelicant »

What I want to do is create a way to create the model in game according to specific parameters. I want to have 2 characters with unique models to be able to breed and create another model with intermediate features. But to do that I have to make sure the model is based off of the parameters. I've outlined the basic structure in this image but I don't know how to make it a reality. How would I go about making this work? (not ogre specific although it is what I'm working in)
jonim8or
Goblin

Re: Creating models in-game?

Post by jonim8or »

If you would have every limb (the part that is meant for one single bone) as a separate mesh, you could generate the new skeleton, and then to each bone apply the appropriate mesh. However then you will not be able to blend between meshes, just scale them to the bone size.
Maybe you could use a taper matrix to adjust the mesh size to the metaballs sizes.
kelicant
Gnoblar

Post by kelicant »

I'm leaning towards that as my method, but I don't know how to generate the skeleton and apply the bones. I haven't seen this technique used anywhere so I have nothing to go off of. Could you point me in the right direction? I know how to do it in theory but not how to actually make it.

Thanks
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

it seems like they do something similar in Spore, maybe analyzing how they do the custom creatures there will help you?