Model Scaling for Orge

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Mr Tim
Gnoblar

Model Scaling for Orge

Post by Mr Tim »

Hello Ogre Forum community. I was wondering what sort of model scaling you would recommend for use with the Orge engine with either Maya 2012 and Max 2012. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
LiMuBei
Goblin

Re: Model Scaling for Orge

Post by LiMuBei »

Depends on what kind of scene you have in mind. For characters I prefer (though using Blender) to be one Ogre unit = 1m.
Aralox
Gnoblar

Re: Model Scaling for Orge

Post by Aralox »

like LiMuBei, I also use 1 Blender Unit = 1 Ogre Unit = 1 metre. Its probably the best scale to pick, as you can naturally judge the size of things during modelling and programming.
Also, it works together with BulletSharp (and most other physics engines I presume), so theres no need for any scale factors or anything.
Ive seen example code where 100 Blender units = 1 metre, and the scale factors when generating rigid bodies were just ugly. (I think the meshes that come with ogre, like robot.mesh, are scale like this)

Oh and I'm assuming 1 Maya Unit is equivalent to 1 Blender Unit (which im 99% sure it is, it would be really weird if not)