3DSMax texturing newbie

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
robin_3d
Kobold

3DSMax texturing newbie

Post by robin_3d »

Hi Max modellers,

This is a modellers beginner question about 3D Studio Max 6, and it probably doesn't belong in the OGRE forums, but since Im a programmer starting out here with this engine and the community is extremely helpful, and other programmers might need to know, I thought Id give it a try.

One object - many textures... How?

Say I have a cube, and two textures A and B. I would like 5 of the cubes sides to have texture A, but one of the sides texture B. This cube is a single object, and it is easy enough to apply a single texture to all its faces (using say cube UV mapping), but when I want that object to have another texture I start running into problems.

Ive tried Boolean modifiers (union) to join a plane with texture B to the cube on the one face, when the cube already is wrapped in texture A. This sort of works (visually in the modeller at least it looks correct), but when I try to export it using the new OGRE max exporter, it says that one of the materials has not been assigned an ID? Besides, this 'binding' of two objects just to get one object with two textures just feels wrong.

I have seen mention of the uvw unwrap modifier, but it looks pretty complicated. Is my only option to look down the route of uvw unwrap? If so, anyone know of any good newbie tutorials?

Tyrus
Gnoblar

Post by Tyrus »

I am not working with MAX(working with Cinema 4d) but i know, that u can give a material ID to a selection. This should work and u don't need to use UVW for this.

WanabeCoder
Kobold

Post by WanabeCoder »

Go lightwave!

(question.. isn't lightwave the "best" modelling program? Ive looked at 3dsmax (heck, I HAVE it (and lightwave)) and in my opinion, lightwave is far superior. Lightwave allows to you VERY beutifully morph shapes to perfection. You can even add points to shapes :D)

Then again.. that's because I previously knew how to use lightwave, and am not too familiar with 3dsmax.

RyanN
Halfling

Post by RyanN »

to apply a texture to a specific face on the box, select the face using the mesh editing modifer, once its turned red drag texture A to the highlighted face then apply a box UVW mapping. Invert your selection then drag texture B to the box then apply another box UVW mapping cord.
If its all one texture use the UVW unwrap modifier by selecting the face you want to apply to then, using the UVW unwrap modifier, drag the mesh around till it fits your texture.

robin_3d
Kobold

Post by robin_3d »

Aah, I didn think about attempting to select that single face, and then apply texture to that alone. Hmmm and then use invert to select the remaining faces... great thank you, I'll try this today! :)

@Tyrus, yes thanks, Im sure there is a way to give materials ID's, but unless this is different from giving the material a name, I dont know how to.

@WanabeCoder, from what I can gather I would say Lightwave has a steeper learning curve than Max, and is aimed more at industry professionals, like for generating realistic film content. Its also more expensive.

semicolon
Halfling

Post by semicolon »

Is MAX cheaper than Lightwave? really really?

Semicolon
"Nature is the mother of learning"

Tyrus
Gnoblar

Post by Tyrus »

If i remember correctly lightwave is about 800-1000€ and Max costs more then 2000€

RyanN
Halfling

Post by RyanN »

In MAX when you apply multiple single texture/materials to an object it then combines them into a 'multi/sub-object' material, which gives the individual textures a material id. To see this material, once your've textured it using multiple materials, use the 'eye dropper' tool in the material editor and click on your object in the scene (make sure you selected a spare slot first) then the 'multi/sub-object' material should appear in that slot. Material IDs can be changed and named in this material however i don't think its used when exporting (anyone know?) so i just drag this material on to object before exporting. They say this is the best way to texture, theres no differnce really, but you can use this 'multi/sub-object' material right from the start to texture your box, to apply a texture using this technique you load your textures into the 'multi/sub-object' material then apply it to the whole object, then select the faces like the previous technique but use the 'material' modifier to link this face to the material id in the 'multi/sub-object' texture slot.

robin_3d
Kobold

Post by robin_3d »

Ryan, thanks for your help. I got the multiple textures working eventually :) Im still only learning 3D Max, but its coming on well.

Sorry if I was wrong about the costs of lightwave and Max, that was based on what a modeller friend told me a while back. Shouldnt make statements unless I know what Im talking about.

Gnoblar

Post by 2019 »

RyanN wrote:In MAX when you apply multiple single texture/materials to an object it then combines them into a 'multi/sub-object' material, which gives the individual textures a material id.
right that's the best way.

i was wondering if ogre is supporting this in their own format models?

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Our mesh and material format is already as flexible as you can get on realtime hardware.

You can have multiple UVs, in any vertex structure you like. You can have multiple passes, multiple texture units per pass, and Meshes can have SubMeshes each of which can have a unique material.

So I think everything you need is supported.