exporting Maya complex rigging (animan etc... )

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Janos
Gnoblar

exporting Maya complex rigging (animan etc... )

Post by Janos »

hi,

I'm currently working as programer on a school project using Ogre for a videogame.

One of my artists used the "animan" plugin (for Maya) for the rigging of the character and well i've noticed the exporter was just unable to export the skeleton (by compiling the exporter in debug mode, i guess it comes from the transform groups or such kind of Maya things that the exporter is not able to deal with). Anyway i wrote a MEL script that builds a new skeleton, baking the position of the bones independenlty from the hierarchy and that then reskins, the mesh on that new skeleton.
In fact the script is cleaning the skeleton (it also deletes unused joints that were just built for the setup) so that it's ready to be exported.

I think my script is able to work with "hand made" complex rigging, not only with animan's ones so i thought maybe some of you could be interested by it ?

If it's the case, i would just write a simple MEL interface to make it user friendly and then simply upload it somewhere.

:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

That'd be very cool

Janos
Gnoblar

Post by Janos »

http://lykno.com/ogre/ogreCleaner.mel

here it is ;-)

i'm not so good in MEL so maybe i haven't done with the best methods but... let's say it's working ;-)

warning : if you select the root joint and the mesh before launching the script, the script will reskin the new mesh on the new skeleton. This operation can take a few minutes depending of the number of vertex.

don't forget to delete your complx skeleton and associated mesh before exporting the new one.

hopping this script can be helpfull for you... ;)