Modeling pipline question

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Trops
Gnoblar

Modeling pipline question

Post by Trops »

:?:
Hello,
I was wondering what was the polycount limit for models/scenes in the OGRE engine?

I am mostly a modeler/texture/animator , I have a little experience makeing maps in unreal ed . I have made a quake 3 player model.

I was wondering what was nessisary to make a simple map/world in OGRE? Is there a map editor? Or does the world have to be made using C++ code?

I was trying to keep the map/world simple so that I could concentrate on making a model that I can see inside the world/map.

Tommy
Gnoblar

Re: Modeling pipline question

Post by Tommy »

Trops wrote::?:
Hello,
I was wondering what was the polycount limit for models/scenes in the OGRE engine?
Depends on your hardware and the way you organize your scene :). Ogre comes with a lot of different scene managers for nearly every situation you can think of, so you don't have to bother about that.
Trops wrote: I am mostly a modeler/texture/animator , I have a little experience makeing maps in unreal ed . I have made a quake 3 player model.

I was wondering what was nessisary to make a simple map/world in OGRE? Is there a map editor? Or does the world have to be made using C++ code?
Ogre uses it's own model file format (.mesh) and has no special modeler included, but there are some exporters for popular 3d tools like 3DS, Blender or Milkshape. So you can create your world with your favorite modeler and then easily load it into Ogre, either by loading the .mesh's separatly or by using some other tools like the DotSceneOctreeConverter (have a look at ogreaddons -> DotSceneOctree).

HTH :D

RyanN
Halfling

Post by RyanN »

poly count can be quite high in ogre, on my machine which is about medium spec i can have up to about 250,000 polys on the scene at once with only some slow down, but it really depends on what you want to do: a scene with nothing but one extremly high detailed model for presentation or demostation purposes is fine but for large game like environments your best keeping it low (not that low since ogre is very capable of an average of 6000ploys per character). Optimising model using LOD and mipmapping help with performance, unloading and loading objects like a BSP style environment is also a good thing. Taking advantage of techniques such as normal map texturing to replace polys is another way of optimsing in ogre.

you can get unreal/quake models in by importing them to 3dsmax then exporting them to ogre .mesh/.skeleton format. There was some talk a while ago on using the Unreal exporters to convert directly to ogre but im not sure on hows that going. However, unreal models usually use the BIPED bone hierachy with standard bones used for facial animation but from some of my own tests the current exporters seem to have a problem with exporting the BIPED hierachy.

Trops
Gnoblar

Post by Trops »

Thanks for the reply guys.
I will check out those resources.