Surface Properties in Ogre?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Viridian
Gnoblar

Surface Properties in Ogre?

Post by Viridian »

Hello. :D

I model with Lightwave. Recently I was approched by a game-building group who plan to use Ogre and asked to join their team. They don't know a lot about the 3D side of things (yet :lol: ), and have a few questions I'm currently unable to answer. I may be phrasing my searches incorrectly... after an hour of searching I'm still lost.

Can the latest Ogre engine display these surface properties?

Luminosity (glowing surfaces)

Diffusion

Specularity

Glossiness

Reflection (not environmental reflection, but just the basic property)

Lens flares (I've read about bilboard sprites, but don't really understand if this is something different or a work-around)

Many apologies if this is covered somewhere else (I can't seem to find any of it except transparency).

Thanks.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: Surface Properties in Ogre?

Post by sinbad »

Viridian wrote: Luminosity (glowing surfaces)
There is an 'emissive' property of material. Note that this just self-illuminates, to actually 'glow' you need a post-processing shader.
Diffusion
If you mean something like sub-surface scattering, shaders again.
Specularity
Glossiness
There are specular and shininess terms in the material definition, if you want more control you're into shaders again.
Reflection (not environmental reflection, but just the basic property)
Yes, but be aware that a true reflection requires a render-to-texure which increases cost, see Demo_RenderToTexture.
Lens flares (I've read about bilboard sprites, but don't really understand if this is something different or a work-around)
That's not a material property, that's just a separate effect you have to create with geometry (like Billboards).

I'm guessing you're coming from a non-realtime background. Realtime rendering requires a different approach to many problems simply because there isn't the time to do what offline renderers do. If you want the best control, you will want to learn how to use shaders.
Viridian
Gnoblar

Post by Viridian »

Thanks Sinbad! :)

I'll do some research on shaders.