Blender prebuilt character rig/bones animation

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Eliascreate
Kobold

Blender prebuilt character rig/bones animation

Post by Eliascreate »

Hello,

I'm in need of a lot of characters for my RTS game. My thought now is either if people want to contribute, that would be awesome.
Alternatively if I can get a hold of a rig of a character. For Blender3D, if I have a character rig in bones and walking animation, it would be easier for me to create characters faster because I would only have to create the model and then apply that rig to all my models.
Any suggestions? Are there any blender prebuilt character rig/bones animations?

Best regards, Elias
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: Blender prebuilt character rig/bones animation

Post by Kojack »

Makehuman can generate rigged characters.
It doesn't come with animations though, you'd need to import them from elsewhere (like bvh files).
http://www.makehuman.org/
Eliascreate
Kobold

Post by Eliascreate »

That seems great! Are there also any for animations?
Eliascreate
Kobold

Post by Eliascreate »

Are there any free animated characters anywhere to be found you can use in your games?
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

One danger of free characters is that a lot of them are stolen. Either ripped from games or ripped from other artists (like garry's mod or Xnalara characters converted to other engines). So be careful of any website that claims to have free models.

Blendswap can have some good stuff. Although most stuff on there is intended for full blender rendering, not real time games.
Eliascreate
Kobold

Post by Eliascreate »

Thanks
Gaiha
Gnoblar

Post by Gaiha »

I've been using MakeHuman for quite a while, in fact my Profile Avatar is from a rendering I made a while ago. I've been working on a system that will utilize a series of "Targets" allowing individual Avatars to be created via a custom made Character Creation Module. So, very much like video can now do millions of colours, it makes perfect sense that an Avatar is as unique as possible... after all, aren't we all individuals? I wrote an algorithm that generates a set of variables based upon some basic user collected data, then allows the MakeHuman software to do the rest.

I created what I like to call an Avatar Uniformity Model, hence only ONE avatar mesh needs to be stored. Everything else like race, gender, height, weight, hair, musculature, and clothing are all stored as a simple binary data file. Based upon the target values, the mesh is deformed just prior to final rendering, making it extremely light as far as CPU and memory usage. The bonus with this is, only the single Uniformity Model requires a rig and animations.

While this module is still in an alpha stage, the Character Creation Module I have created can make any number of avatars with an infinite number of different combinations. I hope to be able to show everyone what MakeHuman and my module are capable of creating once I have all the bugs fixed... until then, I highly recommend MakeHuman as a source for creating anatomically correct 3D human models.