particles in ogre 2.0+

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
GlowingPotato
Goblin

particles in ogre 2.0+

Post by GlowingPotato »

Hello,

What people are using for editing particle systems in ogre 2.0+?
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: particles in ogre 2.0+

Post by xrgo »

I am using particles in Ogre 2.1, the old particles works great =D, But I am editing them "by hand" via C++ and scripts. There are some old particle editors around, I have never use them, but the output script should work just fine for 2.0+
GlowingPotato
Goblin

Post by GlowingPotato »

xrgo wrote:I am using particles in Ogre 2.1, the old particles works great =D, But I am editing them "by hand" via C++ and scripts. There are some old particle editors around, I have never use them, but the output script should work just fine for 2.0+
Yeah.... I'am using the old "editor" its called particle accelerator and its a nightmare. :(
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

GlowingPotato
Goblin

Post by GlowingPotato »

Ohh that's cool! thanks for sharing Xrgo! I'll have a look.

Btw, I take what I said about particle accelerator back. Its indeed very useful, but lots of bugs.

Again, thanks for pointing those.
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Just to let you know, I am using Particle Universe and it is now working in my engine properly (previously I only got it to compile, and run its own demos). At the moment I am only aiming to get Billboard renderer to work correctly, although the others may works!
GlowingPotato
Goblin

Post by GlowingPotato »

Ohh thats good to know!

iam using particleAccelerator and is working fine, Its a 2006 app but it does the job.

I'am having some performance issues with particles in ogre 2 but I can work with it.

Have you set a PBS material to your particles ? I wondering if we can cast/receive shadows for the particles.
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

GlowingPotato wrote: Have you set a PBS material to your particles ? I wondering if we can cast/receive shadows for the particles.
Most definitely not :(, all using unlit. In theory if the particles had a normal map then they could be lit and receive shadows. Casting shadows however is a lot more complicated.

The plan will be to get the new particle system merged, and then work on the Particle HLMS to provide these sort of features
GlowingPotato
Goblin

Post by GlowingPotato »

Errr.... Iam struggling to make particles look good in a mix of open and closed environment. I need at least to have it lit and receive shadows. Otherwise, particles during the day have a completely different look then night.