Maya Ogre Exporter for Maya 2018

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
velocity_
Gnoblar

Maya Ogre Exporter for Maya 2018

Post by velocity_ »

Hi,

After realizing all of the tools that Ogre has for exporting models from industry-standard applications are dated and broken, I've decided to convert the one I needed the most: the Maya exporter.

Here it is, the well-known Maya exporter working with Maya 2018. When I have time, I'll add a version for 2017 too.

https://github.com/Bitgate/maya-ogre3d-exporter

Hope it benefits the community a bit. If there's any suggestions, I'm looking to improve the extension more so any kind of feedback is obviously welcome (as a PR, comment or issue on Github)!

Best,
Bart
robert3d
Gnoblar

Re: Maya Ogre Exporter for Maya 2018

Post by robert3d »

Does this Maya exporter also export .scene files? I have it working but don't see any options for a .scene export.
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

Thanks for this update. I will take a look.
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

I tried it but hit various problems so far:

(1) The cmake never finds the findogre.cmake file no matter what environment variables I set etc. I ended up cutting out the Ogre stuff from cmakelists to get a solution to build.

(2) It doesn't build with Ogre 2.1. Is this for Ogre 1.x? For example the first build error was:

Code: Select all

Error C2039 'MeshVersion': is not a member of 'Ogre'	
Gonzo1208
Gnoblar

Post by Gonzo1208 »

Hello!

I'm really new to the OGRE world, so I may be having some beginner trouble getting this exporter to work. I follow the instructions posted in the read me, placing the files into their respective folders and I'm hit with a snag, the exporter appears in the shelf but whenever I try to export something it has the following error

// Error: line 0: Cannot find procedure "ogreExport". //

Does this look like something you guys would be familiar with?

Thanks for your time!
Ejrekai
Gnoblar

Post by Ejrekai »

Total n00b here, but I'm trying to add the Maya exporter, but when I download the files from GitHub, there is no OgreMain.dll. Anybody else run into this? Is it missing or maybe I am misreading something. Thanks!
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

The OgreMain.dll comes from your Ogre installation. Either from the Ogre SDK or from your build folder if you built Ogre from source.
Ejrekai
Gnoblar

Post by Ejrekai »

Ah, thanks. Didn't actually install Ogre and was just trying to export models for the devs. Will install. Thanks!
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

Gonzo1208 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:45 pm // Error: line 0: Cannot find procedure "ogreExport". //

Does this look like something you guys would be familiar with?
I know this is an old post but for future reference.

I am currently playing with this and it seems that Maya (it seems to be more than other apps but maybe not) is very particular as to what Windows SDK you are building against. Their blog for 2018 was built against I think VS 2015 some SDK version. Even Maya 2020 is VS 2017.

I have a simple plugin working I think but do not yet have the Ogre plugin working. Hopefully this gives some ideas to future readers.