Texturing 3D Models

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Owl53
Halfling

Texturing 3D Models

Post by Owl53 »

Hi,

Being perfectly honest, I'm a programmer, and as a result I have very little experience in creating 3D Models. For my own personal projects though I would like to create my own assets and therefore I need to work on improving my texturing skills. I've mostly used Maya in the past for the modelling, but I'm currently using Blender, but texture wise my models so far have been limited to just basic diffuse textures. How do I go about creating more realistic looking models? Do I need to start looking into specular, normal and bump maps? Is that the next step on from basic textures? It really isn't something I have a great deal of knowledge about, so any suggestions on how to improve would be great.

Thanks in advance!
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: Texturing 3D Models

Post by xrgo »

Hello! PBR (physically base rendering/shading) is the thing now, study a little about that and then check substance painter, quixel, blender 2.8 (eevee), armorpaint, etc. I recommend metalness workflow (simpler, less textures/channels)
Ogre 2.1+ supports PBS by default, not sure about 1.X, but you can always implement it yourself

cheers!
Owl53
Halfling

Post by Owl53 »

xrgo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:03 pm Hello! PBR (physically base rendering/shading) is the thing now, study a little about that and then check substance painter, quixel, blender 2.8 (eevee), armorpaint, etc. I recommend metalness workflow (simpler, less textures/channels)
Ogre 2.1+ supports PBS by default, not sure about 1.X, but you can always implement it yourself

cheers!
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely start looking into these. The one other thing that I was also wondering is - how is the additional data output to Ogre? Currently I am just exporting my basic models as an OBJ with texture then converting them using Ogre-Assimp into .mesh 's. Will each program you suggested store this additional information in a file (e.g. .mtl) with the more complex materials that I can link when using Ogre-Assimp? Or does it work differently with PBR?
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

not sure if there's any exporter that works with ogre's pbs, but you can always write your own code, or material scripts, or use this nice editor: viewtopic.php?t=84816 and I think you can also export materials with dergo viewtopic.php?t=84227
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

xrgo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:03 pm Hello! PBR (physically base rendering/shading) is the thing now, study a little about that and then check substance painter, quixel, blender 2.8 (eevee), armorpaint, etc. I recommend metalness workflow (simpler, less textures/channels)

cheers!
Also add to the list '3D Coat' it's a lot cheaper than substance painter and as a programmer myself I have enjoyed using it. However the PBR docs and blogs on substance painters site are great, eg:
https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide
Last edited by al2950 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owl53
Halfling

Post by Owl53 »

xrgo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:35 am not sure if there's any exporter that works with ogre's pbs, but you can always write your own code, or material scripts, or use this nice editor: viewtopic.php?t=84816 and I think you can also export materials with dergo viewtopic.php?t=84227
That editor is awesome! I'm sure that will prove very useful once I've upgraded to Ogre 2.1.
al2950 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:18 am

cheers!
Also add to the list '3D Coat' it's a lot cheaper than substance painter and as a programmer myself I have enjoyed using it. However the PBR docs and blogs on substance painters site are great, eh:
https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide
Thank you to both of you! I definitely have a lot of programs to consider aha! As for the documentation suggestion "https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide", I had found that one myself after xrgo's suggestion of starting to look into PBR, so I'm glad to hear that's a good source to learn from. I think that once I have read more into it I will start the process of upgrading to Ogre 2.1 (I'm currently using 1.11) for the PBR support.

Thanks!