Blender 2.80 exporter?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Hrenli
Halfling

Blender 2.80 exporter?

Post by Hrenli » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Blender 2.80 is around the corner it seems, and with all shiny new features it is also breaking python API. So I am curious, does anyone here has a plan to update one of the existing exporters or write a new one?

Reading these forums I've got an impression that quite a few users seem to prefer to use something else than .mesh and therefore don't need a special exporter. I was sticking to Blender -> .xml -> .mesh/.skeleton workflow till now. Even though I was not entirely happy about it and was thinking of maybe creating own exporter which would suit my needs a bit better still was not forced to do it. Now it might be the time, but before committing to it I thought I might try to ask around first maybe somebody is already working on updating/rewriting Blender -> Ogre xml exporter to work with 2.80. :)
1 x

paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Blender 2.80 exporter?

Post by paroj » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:59 am

once it is there, somebody (eventually me) will likely update the code here:
https://github.com/OGRECave/blender2ogre

with the recent updates for Ogre 1.12.2, the XMLConverter got about 3x faster at XML -> mesh.

Also there is the possibility to use the python bindings to make blender write a .mesh directly instead of converting to XML.
2 x

loath
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Re: Blender 2.80 exporter?

Post by loath » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:57 pm

yes this would be super helpful.
0 x