Workflow Blender -> Ogre3D

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Horstling
Gnoblar

Workflow Blender -> Ogre3D

Post by Horstling »

Preliminary note: I have just started looking into Ogre and I'm neither a content creator nor used to any of the involved tools and workflows, so please bare with me :?

I'm trying to get some meshes / assets to play around with in Ogre 2.2 and want to use Blender for this, but just can't get it to work. I'm trying to use this exporter, which seems to be the state-of-the-art way for doing this(?) https://github.com/OGRECave/blender2ogre

I have two very basic questions:

1. Is this exporter working with Blender 2.8? The documentation says I should use the master version, which seems to support 2.8 and I was able to install and enable the add-on. But the Ogre Export option in the Blender File menu is always greyed out, and I don't see any other Ogre-related data / buttons / whatsoever (in particular, I don't see the "Ogre" checkbox that should enable the specific panels / properties).

2. What is the intended workflow to export PBR/PBS-enabled assets? Let's say I have a model with proper material / textures in Blender, is there an export to Ogre 2.2 materials / textures? Or do I have to create all the material definitions manually, replicating the information in Blender? All the information I could find to this topic seems to reference Ogre 1 / fixed function pipeline.

Thanks!
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Workflow Blender -> Ogre3D

Post by paroj »

Horstling wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:40 am 1. Is this exporter working with Blender 2.8? The documentation says I should use the master version, which seems to support 2.8 and I was able to install and enable the add-on. But the Ogre Export option in the Blender File menu is always greyed out
try selecting an object, as it exports only the selected object by default
Horstling wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:40 am 2. What is the intended workflow to export PBR/PBS-enabled assets? Let's say I have a model with proper material / textures in Blender, is there an export to Ogre 2.2 materials / textures?
no, the exporter currently only writes ogre1 materials. However, it tries to mimic the PBS settings.
See: https://www.ogre3d.org/2020/07/26/ogre- ... -roundup-6
Horstling
Gnoblar

Re: Workflow Blender -> Ogre3D

Post by Horstling »

Thanks paroj, actually selecting the object did the trick :oops: Still a lot to learn :lol: