Dwarf Fortress remake looking to move to Ogre

A place for employers, project leaders etc to post if they are looking for people to assist with an Ogre-based project. Please only post in this area if you have a _serious_ project proposition for which you already have something to show for.
ImpalerWrG
Gnoblar

Dwarf Fortress remake looking to move to Ogre

Post by ImpalerWrG »

I'm a fan of an know Indie game called Dwarf Fortress (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/) but as anyone who's played it knows its got just about the most horrendous interface ever made. I've been working on a project I call Khazad (http://sourceforge.net/projects/khazad/) which I hope to turn into a remake of Dwarf Fortress featuring a SimCity/Transport Tycoon like look and feel along with proper interface. I'm currently using SDL and have got a simple Isometric engine and GUI running but have decided to move to Ogre (and a yet to be chosen Ogre compatible GUI) for better performance and faster development. Someone who has even basic Ogre familiarity would be of great assistance in porting over to it, likewise once the engine is developed general game play programming would be useful as well. The project is open source and none commercial, just send me a PM if your interested and we can get in touch.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
twilight17
Goblin

Re: Dwarf Fortress remake looking to move to Ogre

Post by twilight17 »

Ogre, in my opinion, would be overkill for that type of game. Stick with SDL or SFML.
Cygon
Halfling

Post by Cygon »

Sorry, old thread, but I was just googling if someone finally did a graphical client for DF :)

I think Ogre would be a great choice for a DF renderer. There would be a lot of generated geometry involved (just as if you wanted to do Minecraft in Ogre), but Ogre should be quite capable of adapting to this style of rendering using a custom scene manager or just building on top of one of the existing scene managers, either doing the batching yourself sector-wise or relying on existing functionality.

@Others: From the looks, it's very easy to underestimate DF. It's a massive-scale, full 3D game with water and lava physics, building & landscape modification and dynamic storytelling. Basically like Minecraft (I guess nearly everyone knows that these days), but even more detailed and with ascii graphics :D
ImpalerWrG
Gnoblar

Post by ImpalerWrG »

After a hiatus to play SC2 (I got tired on constantly being Dropped from Battle net) I'm restarting active development on my project and help is still quite welcome.

Also people should know their is a related project called Goblin Camp http://www.goblincamp.com/forum/index.php which is using an identical GPLv3 license, it's built off a library specially designed for rouge-like games which means its 2D but its made a lot of progress in the area of job, item creation and AI management. It's already got playable versions released which demonstrate how an ASCII interface can actually be made usable with a little mouse support. I'm looking to import a good deal of its game logic once I'm to that point which should be a big boost to getting into real game play.

Both GoblinCamp's creator and I have very scaled down goals relative to DF with respect to game play, firstly we are doing ONLY a fortress mode. Second we do not want to make giant 'mad-lib-history' generators or create any superfluous details to the simulation that don't have noticeable game play effects, we both want to provide tools for macro-managing the fortress rather then micro-managing it, it should play much more like a typical city-Sim in-which the player handles longer term growth and emergencies but dose not need to constantly 'pump' normal maintenance.

P.S. I'm using CEGUI as well
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.