The project is in a strong place right now as we are in the process of completing the switch to a new engine and preparing significant gameplay improvements for the next release. It’s a great time to get involved as we are starting to get some reasonable publicity, our last gameplay video has 67k youtube views so we have high hopes for the project moving forwards.
From the lowly tidepools of your home planet, you will rise to cosmic dominance. At every step, powerful creation tools and deep simulation mechanics will aid your species’ development. Revolutionary Games is the open-source team of dedicated volunteers aiming to make Thrive a reality.
Our team seeks to accomplish two major goals: create engaging, compelling gameplay that respects our players’ intelligence, and remain as accurate as possible in our depiction of known scientific theory without compromising the former.
What are the advantages of joining the team as a programmer?
- Thrive gives you the opportunity to work on a professional standard coding project without a big commitment. We're a team of volunteers and respect the fact that real life comes first. Moreover we have a complete team of programmers, artists, musicians and theorists already and the project is making great progress.
- Thrive is a great place to experiment with crazy ideas. Whether you want to experiment with light and matter interaction and plate tectonics simulations, or whether you just want to tweak the gameplay Thrive is a great place to try out bold thinking. You don't need a huge amount of skills to start with but the sky is the limit when it comes to what can go into the game.
- Thrive will teach you to be good at problem solving. We've got an excellent team including PhD's and professional programmers who can help you push your skills to the next level. We're looking for self motivated people who are looking for a challenge.
- Thrive will teach you a lot about cell biology and other scientific ideas. Right now we're working on a simulation of protein binding in the organelles of eukaryotic cells. Communicating scientific ideas is a core part of our mission and as part of the team you'll quickly become fluent in the language of Xenobiology.
- Thrive is a great opportunity to contribute to an established project and to see your programming reach a wide audience. Often it's easy to start a lot of side projects that never see the light of day. Thrive is an established project with a bright future.
- Thrive is great for your CV. You can use features you put into the game as portfolio items when looking for jobs. Moreover working with us will give you experience with a high powered international development team which is exactly what many top employers are looking for. If you're a games industry professional in between roles Thrive is a great place to make a short term contribution safe in the knowledge that your hours can be scaled back at any time.
- Thrive is fun. Come and hang out with a cool team and a great community on our forums.