[MUSIC] Retro-style game makers, here's a free musical gift for you!!

A place for employers, project leaders etc to post if they are looking for people to assist with an Ogre-based project. Please only post in this area if you have a _serious_ project proposition for which you already have something to show for.
kerchermusic
Gnoblar

Post by kerchermusic »

Hi! Are you making a game that could have been released on consoles like the SNES, the N64, the PS1, the Dreamcast, the Game Boy Advance, or the Gamecube?

If you are, please reach out! Not only do I have years of experience working in the Hollywood film music industry, I also specialize in writing music inspired by that mid 90s - early 00s era of gaming, using the same synths and samplers found in the soundtracks to your favorite games.

Check out some of my work here: https://soundcloud.com/kent-kercher/sets/micro-loops

Thanks!

Kent
Last edited by kerchermusic on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kerchermusic
Gnoblar

Re: [MUSIC] Looking for 90s-style / retro game

Post by kerchermusic »

Hi all!

Here's my latest demo, inspired by the music to Rayman 2:

https://soundcloud.com/kent-kercher/mic ... icro-loops
kerchermusic
Gnoblar

Post by kerchermusic »

Do you favor the late 2D and early 3D eras of gaming?

Are you making a collectathon, a shmup, a jrpg, a kart racer, a puzzle-adventure, a tactical rpg, a narrative adventure, or a platformer inspired by the tropes of that time?

I just had a meeting with a head producer of a well-known game studio a little over a week ago. He told me that - though he listens to demo reels for a living - my game music reel was the most unique, best-produced, and most authentic he’d ever heard in this style. As far as he was concerned, I am now the go-to guy for when he will need this kind of music!

What do you think? Could I be your go-to guy, too?

https://soundcloud.com/kent-kercher/sets/micro-loops
kerchermusic
Gnoblar

Post by kerchermusic »

bouncy and bucolic, here's your morning micro loop! 🤠

kerchermusic
Gnoblar

Post by kerchermusic »

Here's my latest track - it's cartoony and quirky!

kerchermusic
Gnoblar

Post by kerchermusic »

I've wrapped up my current projects and am looking for more games to write for. Let's collaborate!

https://soundcloud.com/kent-kercher/sets/micro-loops
kerchermusic
Gnoblar

Post by kerchermusic »

New FREE (CC-BY) album of Early 3D/Post-Chiptunes/1990s-2000s VGM loops!

Find it on Bandcamp here: https://kentkercher.bandcamp.com/album/low-poly-loops-volume-one-rowdy-romplers
---
Low-Poly Loops · Volume One: Rowdy Romplers is the first album in a planned series of albums featuring FREE video game music loops. These LOOPS are all made using the same hardware synthesizers used to create the soundtracks to games made for early 3D gaming systems like the PlayStation (1994), the Saturn (1995), the Nintendo 64 (1996), the Dreamcast (1998), the PlayStation 2 (2000), the GameCube (2001), and even the Wii (2006).

Whether your game is a COLLECTATHON, a SHMUP, a JRPG, a KART RACER, a PUZZLE-ADVENTURE, a TACTICAL RPG, a NARRATIVE ADVENTURE, a PLATFORMER, or otherwise; if you've got a LOW POLYGON COUNT, a LIMITED DRAW DISTANCE, or a CARTOONISH ANTHROPOMORPHIC PROTAGONIST (who may or may not have a COMPLEMENTARY COMPANION); if you're hoping for HISTORICAL ACCURACY or JUST THE RIGHT VIBE, these tracks are for you!

The 28 loops on Rowdy Romplers range in length from 0:07 to 0:19 and are released under the Creative Commons CC-BY license, which means anyone is free to exploit them in any way for any reason as long as Kent Kercher, the composer, is given commensurate attribution in the credits section of the work. Furthermore, if any loop or loops in this collection are used, or if you wish to have a custom music score based on or similar to these loops, please notify the composer via the contact form on his website kentkercher.com.
Last edited by kerchermusic on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

It's not the type of music I am looking for, but the tracks are very good.

Makes me think of games like Donkey Kong Country.

Congrats.
kerchermusic
Gnoblar

Post by kerchermusic »

sercero wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:14 pm It's not the type of music I am looking for, but the tracks are very good.

Congrats.
Thank you so much! I definitely used some of the same Wavestation patches as David Wise - they're just so classic.

What kind of music are you looking for?
hyyou
Gremlin

Post by hyyou »

kerchermusic, which programs do you use?
kerchermusic
Gnoblar

Post by kerchermusic »

hyyou wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:16 am kerchermusic, which programs do you use?
My DAW is Logic Pro X, but the sounds are hardware: Roland JV-1080, Roland SC-88 Pro, E-mu Proteus/1 Plus Orchestral, Korg Wavestation SR.
kerchermusic
Gnoblar

Re: [MUSIC] Retro-style game makers, here's a free musical gift for you!!

Post by kerchermusic »

https://kentkercher.bandcamp.com/album/ ... y-romplers

What is your favorite track on this free album?
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: [MUSIC] Retro-style game makers, here's a free musical gift for you!!

Post by sercero »

kerchermusic wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:49 pm
sercero wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:14 pm It's not the type of music I am looking for, but the tracks are very good.

Congrats.
Thank you so much! I definitely used some of the same Wavestation patches as David Wise - they're just so classic.

What kind of music are you looking for?
Hello Kercher,

I am looking for music like Demon Souls.

The game I'm making (as a hobby) is an action RPG, like a Dark Souls lite, making it just for fun.

Sometimes to maintain the spirit I listen to the character creation music of DeS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3nckWeT-m0

It is such a haunting piece and takes me back to my first game in the Souls series.