CVS Access Guide - For Ogre Users

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
staringmonkey
Greenskin

CVS Access Guide - For Ogre Users

Post by staringmonkey »

Hello everyone,

After having plenty of my own problems accessing the CVS, and having been asked for help with accessing the CVS on more than one occasion, I decided it was time somebody put down in writing the quickiest and easiest to access the CVS, for Ogre users who have never used it before. A similar guide for new developers will follow shortly.

Step 1) Ignore the SourceForge.net Documentation

Seriously, I don't need it, you don't need it, it's worthless for what were doing here.

Step 2) Install Tortoise CVS

Get it from the TortoiseCVS homepage.

As far as CVS access software goes, this one is sublime. Only works in Windows, but I'm sure the Linux and Mac guys out there are used to not having the simple answers given to them. ;) It installs as a Windows shell-extension, and all the actions are performed through the regular right-click menu. It also provides the extra-useful feature of highlighting all CVS folders green (and conflicted files red and so on). You will need to reboot for Tortoise to boot up.

Step 3) Retrieving Ogre

To get the most recent copy of Ogre from the CVS, find a spot on hard drive where you want to stick it, right-click and select CVS Checkout. Fill in the following info:
  • Protocol: Password Server (:pserver:)
  • Server: cvs.ogre3d.org
  • Port: leave this blank
  • Repository folder: /cvsroot/ogre
  • User name: anonymous
  • Module: ogrenew
This should download the most recent publicly available copy of Ogre into a folder called ogrenew within the folder you right-clicked in. Note I say "publicly" available because it can take a while for changes made to the code to propagate to the public servers you will be accessing. Only developers can access code that is 100% up-to-date.

4) Updating Ogre

When you want to update your copy of Ogre simply right-click on your ogrenew folder and select CVS Update. This will automatically update your copy of Ogre to the most recent version available. Note that if you have altered any files you may may have to resolve any conflicts (red files in the Tortoise window) before you can finish updating. An explanation of conflicts, "diffing", and beyond the scope of this mini-guide, look elsewhere for that information if you anticipate making changes to Ogre.

I hope that helps anyone who is having problems setting up the basic CVS. If you have been added to the project as an ogreaddons developer, please so my other, similarly named, mini-guide for developers. :)

Enjoy,
staringmonkey

This sticky post sanctioned by Sinbad�. ;)
supersuper
Greenskin

Post by supersuper »

And if you want to have an uptodate ogreaddons then you would replace the module name with "ogreaddons".
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by johnhpus »

Sorry to post in the stickied topic here, as soon as an Ogre team member reads this please delete it. Anyway, I'm poking about lookind for instructions on how to get Azeroth instead of Hasture from CVS. Seems like it might be time to add at least the module name to this thread.

Sorry to clutter
John
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

The information you are looking for is under CVS Access on the main page.
neocryptek
Gnome

Post by neocryptek »

Just a note, its now located here.

-N30
NQ
Kobold

Post by NQ »

Alright, so I got Tortoise for the main purpose of trying out the new ogre-addons. So I try to grab the "ogrenew" folder, to check if it's working. Yeah, it puts files with little green symbols on them here on my disk, and everything works.

------->> Then I try to grab the "ogreaddons" module in the very same way, but all I end up with is an empty tree of folders! I see all folders there should be inside "ogreaddons", but they contain nothing.

How did I manage to screw this one up? Or rather, how to solve it?
(this COULD be a common problem, so i thought it should be alright to post on the sticky topic)

Thanks!
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Don't think it is a common problem. Works fine here. Did you try to checkout a branch?
only ogrenew has a common branch scheme (v1-0 is my recommendation) but you need to checkout HEAD for ogreaddons.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

There is definately something going on with ogreaddons :?

I have used ogreaddons from cvs a lot - and I'm used to update it twice a week. Especially the plsm2 is updated all the time ...

Now I didn't get any updates for 2 weeks ...

Using HEAD - will try and delete the whole lot and get a fresh working copy. But I doubt that it changes anything. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
NQ
Kobold

Post by NQ »

Ah! You were right on the money! The problem was about not specifying the HEAD branch. It works now thanks!
eclipse1
Gnoblar

Post by eclipse1 »

Hrm, tortoise keeps saying
Error connecting to host cvs.sourceforge.net : No such host is known.
did the cvs server move or something. I'm a newb as far as CVS goes.

*edit* nevermind, got it to work. Stupid typo :oops:
Later
kelphis
Gnoblar

Post by kelphis »

sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.
im trying to get the agreaddons folder in the CVS so that i can use the terrain editor that is in there.

i downloaded the CVS and ran the update so i have the ogrenew folder with all the little green sub folders in it but there is no ogreaddons folder. i read the posts from above and i am just not figuring it out. can someone tell me at least where to start?
kelphis
Gnoblar

Post by kelphis »

OMG nevermind. i just accidentally figured it out. sorry about the post.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Actually, you can also use WinCVS, because there is a command line dialog where you can type your command into directly.
freezama
Halfling

Post by freezama »

Hi,
i've downloaded the newest sources from cvs, but somethings are missing, i.e. the dependencies:
freetype2110_D

can i download the dependencies from cvs ?

thanks

(P.S. how to upload an avatar without throwing errors from your server ?)
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Search the forum this question has been answered numerous times by now.
team-pantheon programmer
freezama
Halfling

Post by freezama »

haffax wrote:Search the forum this question has been answered numerous times by now.
And where please ?

how to get the newest cvs-dependancies (incuding cegui) ?

i've searched the forum, but don't find any answer to this simple question.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

team-pantheon programmer
freezama
Halfling

Post by freezama »

Don't be mad haffax,
it's easier for you, you're working directly on the project so you have an overview.
for freetype as i say, i've already downloaded the lib from www.freetype.anyafterdot.
i'm getting cegui from cvs.

It would be nice to have a page only for all these things (ogre/cegui/dependancies/etc.) in one place.

the meaning of your work is to get people use it (i think) and not to spend their whole days getting all the pieces together.

we're talking about ogre-3D and not ogre-puzzle, right ?
Last edited by freezama on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Getting dependencies for the current release version is easy and consistent.

If you are using CVS head, you need to be aware, that this means handiwork and potential unconsistences you have to deal with yourself. Team doesn't want to put too much effort into keeping all the convinience packs for the deps uptodate all the time, since they change during development anyway.

So if you want it all easy and proper don't use CVS HEAD, use the current release version.

Btw, the sourceforge project page already has dagon dependency downloads in preparation of the upcoming release. Get them from there.
team-pantheon programmer
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

I would reinforce haffax's comments here. If you want simple and easy, use the stable release. If you want to use CVS HEAD, please do since we welcome early adopters to help with testing, but you should absolutely not expect us to hold your hand - it's an unstable development branch, and is advertised as such on the Developers page on the site. From time to time it will be broken, have out of date dependencies, out of date project files, or all of the above. It's an active development branch and to keep everything in sync every single day is totally impractical.

If in doubt, use the stable version - it's the same for every single open source project out there.
freezama
Halfling

Post by freezama »

Sure about using the stable release.

but I willingly use the most up to date code.

I'm not asking to have all bugs fixed in the latest code, only to have all parts together so that one can use it. otherwise it wouldn't make sense at all, to have the sources just for contemplation, right ?

Sinbad had allready uploaded the dependancies on sourceforge, so it's all great now :)

thanks guys.
leto_atreides
Gnoblar

problem with CVS

Post by leto_atreides »

I wanted to login into ogreaddons, and when I try to log to cvs, I get the following error:

In C:\DOCUME~1\Vladutz\LOCALS~1\Temp\TortoiseCVS make new module temp\: "d:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "import" "-m" "" "Ogrenew" "tcvs-vendor" "tcvs-release"
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ogre

can't create temporary directory /tmp/cvs-serv1751
No space left on device

Error, CVS operation failed

please can anyone help me?

thanks!
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

You don't need help - just try again later. :)

These errors are normal. Sourceforge can be a little overloaded at times. :wink:
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Dang. Can't wait. :)
Kentamanos
Minaton

Post by Kentamanos »

I just tried it and it seems to be back up...