Kick Ass Water Effects!

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.

Does OGRE have superior water effects?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:33 pm

Yes. I havent seen this done better before!
39%
Naaah, there's many apps out there that do it better.
4%
Not bad, but nothing to get excited about.
39%
Dunno...I just like to vote on polls...
17%

Total votes: 23

SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Kick Ass Water Effects!

Post by SpannerMan »

Ive just seen the new water samples running. Wow! That's just really, really cool :o

The screenies dont do it justice. I don't think I have seen many commercial games with better water effects than these...
Golthar
Gnoblar

Post by Golthar »

Yes, the water looks great :)
Just wait until there is more support for CG and shaders in general *drooling smiley*
eru
Gnoblar

Post by eru »

As an author i will only say this water would rule like maybe 5 years ago. Now, with shaders on all modern GPUs it's really nothing impressive.
But thanks :)

Post by Guest »

Actually Ive never seen water effects as good as that in any commercial game but thats probably because it takes up alot of CPU and there would be nothing left for the game if it relied extensivel on that method of creating ripples/waves etc.
eru
Gnoblar

Post by eru »

Anonymous wrote:Actually Ive never seen water effects as good as that in any commercial game but thats probably because it takes up alot of CPU and there would be nothing left for the game if it relied extensivel on that method of creating ripples/waves etc.
Actually, the code is extremely simple - if I turn off water animation it doesn't change the rendering speed...
So it's rather number of polys that matters.
Anyway, imagine using VertexShaders for geometry with e.g. dot-3 bump mapping for small ripples and pixel shaders for rendering refraction... :)
Oh... I have to try adding bump3 to Water :) God: could you please make day few hours longer for some time? :)
God

Post by God »

er00: i shall answer your prayer