Roll Your Own Ogre
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
*bump* 
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
-
nfz
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 1263
- Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
- Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
For those curious about what I am learning check out this site: http://www.virtualmediastudios.com/tuts ... /index.htm. There are tons of other sites that deal with the topic of texture mapping but I felt this site covered it best by showing you how to create the maps from scratch using a hands on approach. I have been using Gimp for creating the textures and Blender for the iniatial renderings to see if I am getting it right. I then test using the Ogre renderer to see if I am still getting the same thing.
-
nfz
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 1263
- Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
- Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Got a chance after todays Easter feast to try out the techniques discussed in the tutorial at the link I posted above. I used the GLSL shader discussed in another thread to add a more interesting skin to the Ogre I have been working on.
Didn't get a chance to tweak the different maps after completing the tutorial but here is a first rendering:

Didn't get a chance to tweak the different maps after completing the tutorial but here is a first rendering:

- sinbad
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 19269
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
- Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
- x 67
- Contact:
- Robomaniac
- Hobgoblin
- Posts: 508
- Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:39 am
- Kencho
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 4011
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
- Location: Burgos, Spain
- x 2
- Contact:
- SpannerMan
- Gold Sponsor

- Posts: 446
- Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 10:05 am
- Location: UK
- Contact:
- TobascoSpam
- Halfling
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:30 am
- Location: Texas
- batonrye
- Halfling
- Posts: 52
- Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:37 pm
- Location: Michigan, US
- Contact:
yeah, i have to admit when i think of an ogre mascot, i think of a fat, jolly fellow, with a brown vest and white shirt... [shrek]
oh, and very nice above! just the right amount of "cute" and "toughness".
oh, and very nice above! just the right amount of "cute" and "toughness".
Jared
http://batonrye.com
http://batonrye.com
- erl4ngg4
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:09 am
- Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Contact:
Ogre MESH (with multiple parts) at www.quinlor.de
Do you guys still here? Am I late?
But I found some great mesh at http://www.quinlor.de. Complete with texture!
And the best thing is, IT'S TOTALLY FREE SAMPLE!
But I found some great mesh at http://www.quinlor.de. Complete with texture!
And the best thing is, IT'S TOTALLY FREE SAMPLE!
Practice makes perfect. But nobody's perfect, no? So why practice?
- Grom
- Hobgoblin
- Posts: 523
- Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:35 pm
just read through the whole thread (alot of the links to images no longer work)
Why doesn't someone just finish/refine teh ogre head model? Like, add a body (and animations if possible) that matches the head we already know and love? I mean, the head is on all the merchandise and is pretty recognizable at this point
Why doesn't someone just finish/refine teh ogre head model? Like, add a body (and animations if possible) that matches the head we already know and love? I mean, the head is on all the merchandise and is pretty recognizable at this point
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
- d3th_n1gG4
- Gnome
- Posts: 346
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:32 am
- Location: Durban, South Africa, No London, wait, where?
- Contact:
- Wretched_Wyx
- Orc
- Posts: 498
- Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:27 pm
- Contact:
Hey, not sure if anyone posted a link to this one yet:
http://www.3drt.com/3dm/characters/orc/orc-shots.htm
Cost a bill, but still. Something like this agreeable as a new Ogre mascot? On that same site there is another one that I thought was cool:
http://www.3drt.com/3dm/characters/troll/troll_02.jpg
Not that detailed, but I like the basic overall look. What do you guys think?
http://www.3drt.com/3dm/characters/orc/orc-shots.htm
Cost a bill, but still. Something like this agreeable as a new Ogre mascot? On that same site there is another one that I thought was cool:
http://www.3drt.com/3dm/characters/troll/troll_02.jpg
Not that detailed, but I like the basic overall look. What do you guys think?
- CaseyB
- OGRE Contributor

- Posts: 1335
- Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:42 pm
- Location: Columbus, Ohio
- x 3
- Contact:
- Lee04
- Minaton
- Posts: 945
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:06 pm
- Location: Sweden
- x 1
Here is my take of the Ogre..
Hi
This is my take on the Ogre first try this morning.,,Hard to think this came out of a programmer?
Programmers rule!



Obj file (Large warning!):
http://www.abcmedia.se/OgreHead5.OBJ
What do U think? I don't like the textured version myself much.
Lee04
(Sorry for posting on two different threads you all got me confused)
This is my take on the Ogre first try this morning.,,Hard to think this came out of a programmer?



Obj file (Large warning!):
http://www.abcmedia.se/OgreHead5.OBJ
What do U think? I don't like the textured version myself much.
Lee04
(Sorry for posting on two different threads you all got me confused)
Ph.D. student in game development
- celic
- Gnome
- Posts: 363
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:05 am
- Location: Chisinau/Moldova
- Contact:
- Wretched_Wyx
- Orc
- Posts: 498
- Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:27 pm
- Contact:
Yeah, I really don't agree with some of the pricing on models some people slap on. I understand the work that can go into a model, but you can't price it on that. You have to price the quality. I think maybe $25 for that model would be good. After all, it is just a simple low poly creation. As good as it is, definitely not worth paying for. But it would be a good base direction to head towards I believe. Has anyone seen the special movies on the 'God of War' PS2 game? They take a look at some of the conceptual models for various creatures/enemies in the game, and among those was the ogre. There was one model that looked simply awesome. I say this because 1. The 'scary' model above has a similar feel (with the skull necklace) and because 2. I think a model similar to that would simply rock. Some animations and all. Or how about the Nvidia demo where that troll guy is eating little dudes and dancin' around? Good demo. Lastly, I've been playing Lineage 2, and the Orcs in the game look similar to the current Ogre head (i mean the orc heads look similar).
Lee04- Did you use ZBrush to make that model? ZBrush rocks. Little bit of a learning curve (at least for this nub) but in the end I feel character modeling in ZBrush is mighty powerful.
Sorry to go off topic there... Anyhow, I was thinking about contacting a few very talented character modelers and seeing if they would contribute to Ogre, by creating not only a new model, but some animations for a little demo movie that could span across many of the features of Ogre to really show it all off in a big way.
Lee04- Did you use ZBrush to make that model? ZBrush rocks. Little bit of a learning curve (at least for this nub) but in the end I feel character modeling in ZBrush is mighty powerful.
Sorry to go off topic there... Anyhow, I was thinking about contacting a few very talented character modelers and seeing if they would contribute to Ogre, by creating not only a new model, but some animations for a little demo movie that could span across many of the features of Ogre to really show it all off in a big way.
Last edited by Wretched_Wyx on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Lee04
- Minaton
- Posts: 945
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:06 pm
- Location: Sweden
- x 1
@Wretched_Wyx: Yes, the Ogre is Z Brush and skull in 3DSMax, No my models are not for sale like that. What I am offering is like 1-3 custom models for your application per month for 300 Euro. Depending if I also have to rigg them and / or make rt shaders for them. Modelling, UV mapping, texturing, normal maps and animation I can do pritty quickly.I think maybe $25 for that model would be good.
@celic: Yes don't play with Ogre...or the Ogre will play with you..
Lee04
Ph.D. student in game development
- Wretched_Wyx
- Orc
- Posts: 498
- Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:27 pm
- Contact:
Lee04- My mistake, I should have specified what I was talking about with the model pricing there. I was referring to another site, and had no idea that you offered models. Now if the model you were working on is an example of the kind of stuff you have to offer, that's my idea of something worth paying for. How is the progress on that model coming along? Also, were you planning on doing a whole character, or just the head? A full body with animations would be sweet. Take more time obviously, but would be sweet none-the-less.
I'm having a hard time finding this guy I was in contact with years ago, who worked on models for the original "Unreal". Not actual game assets, but rather free models for mappers/modders. He re-skinned the Skaarj, and made a few more character models, with added detail. I was thinking he might be interested in doing something for Ogre since he totally supported open-source and community driven projects and content. I guess it works out that I can't find him and your working on something so cool yourself ^^.
I'm having a hard time finding this guy I was in contact with years ago, who worked on models for the original "Unreal". Not actual game assets, but rather free models for mappers/modders. He re-skinned the Skaarj, and made a few more character models, with added detail. I was thinking he might be interested in doing something for Ogre since he totally supported open-source and community driven projects and content. I guess it works out that I can't find him and your working on something so cool yourself ^^.
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.


