Max->Blender->Ogre, preserving smoothing and normals?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
User avatar
Martoon
Greenskin
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 7:36 pm

Max->Blender->Ogre, preserving smoothing and normals?

Post by Martoon »

Is there a way to export from 3dsmax 3.1, import into Blender, and export to Ogre such that the normals and smoothing defined in Max are preserved? We have a contract artist creating models in Max 3.1. We don't have Max here, and I use Blender to tweak the models, add/modify properties etc. before exporting to Ogre. I had the artist try exporting to .3ds and I imported that, but all of the smoothing info he defined was gone.

I'm assuming there's some format he can export from Max that will have explicit normals, but can Blender import and work with explicit normals? Will they be exported to Ogre?

I know this would be more appropriate for the Blender forums, but I've already posted there and didn't get much help.

Thanks for any tips!
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

I doubt it would work in ancient max 3.1, but try make him use one of the max exporters first.
Then you can use the Blender importer from ogreaddons.

Or find a better format than .3ds - it is not that good.
User avatar
Martoon
Greenskin
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 7:36 pm

Post by Martoon »

jacmoe wrote:I doubt it would work in ancient max 3.1, but try make him use one of the max exporters first.
Then you can use the Blender importer from ogreaddons.

Or find a better format than .3ds - it is not that good.
That's what I meant. I would assume he would export from Max in some format or another, then I'd import into Blender. I'm just trying to find out what format would work, or if it's just not possible to import explicit normals into Blender.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

I meant: use one of the Ogre max eporter scripts. If it works: great.
If not: use another format - maybe .obj?
User avatar
Martoon
Greenskin
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 7:36 pm

Post by Martoon »

jacmoe wrote:I meant: use one of the Ogre max eporter scripts. If it works: great.
If not: use another format - maybe .obj?
Ah, I see now. Yeah, I'm guessing there probably aren't any Max Ogre exporters that'll work with Max 3.1.

I'm having him try some other formats. Thanks!
Post Reply