Does anyone use FreeWorld3d with Ogre?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
Imperil

Does anyone use FreeWorld3d with Ogre?

Post by Imperil »

I'm just wondering if anybody has used this as a basic tool chain and what their experience with it was. Are the .scene files that are exported by FreeWorld3D able to be imported using the Ogre .scene file manager or did you write your own scene manager?

Thanks!
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

Falagard relied upon FreeWorld3D and Giles, before work started on the PLSM2 Editor. :wink:

And this beauty of a project is using FreeWorld3D:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... d3d#120365 :)

There are probably other FreeWorld3D users out there..

Would be cool if they chimed in and shared their experiences, as I've been thinking about buying the tool. :wink:

Yes, I'd like to buy it even if the PLSM2 editor is going to be released RSN - I'd like to have alternatives. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
soconne
Kobold
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:05 am

Post by soconne »

The next version of Freeworld3D, v2.1, will have a built in road creation system, mesh self-shadowing, vegetation system and the ability to place a few thousand trees in a scene at high frame rates using imposters.

You can take a look at the road creation system demo video I created.
http://www.freeworld3d.org/video/roads.wmv 13.8MB
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

Does all these great things have an easy route to OGRE? :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by IFASS »

jacmoe wrote:Does all these great things have an easy route to OGRE? :)
On the frontpage:
bullet NEW in Freeworld3D 2.0
Ogre3D, DirectX, Blitz3D, AC3D Support
Dunno what it exactly means though.. gotta find out then :)

Edit: It means .mesh support :)
Last edited by IFASS on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

I know what it means. I was just wondering if the new-new-new features in 2.1 have full OGRE support.
I am aware that the current FreeWorld3D will export OGRE terrain and a .scene file - and a .raw heightmap, and either splatting materials or standard base texture/detail textures. :)

Yes, FreeWorld3D does that already! :D

I am just asking if imposters, shadowing, vegetation system and roads will be as easy to get into OGRE as terrain and scene currently is. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by IFASS »

jacmoe wrote:I know what it means. I was just wondering if the new-new-new features in 2.1 have full OGRE support.
I am aware that the current FreeWorld3D will export OGRE terrain and a .scene file - and a .raw heightmap, and either splatting materials or standard base texture/detail textures. :)

Yes, FreeWorld3D does that already! :D

I am just asking if imposters, shadowing, vegetation system and roads will be as easy to get into OGRE as terrain and scene currently is. :wink:
Roads.. hm.. they look like just an modification of the meshfile.. i think that one is supported. But indeed, it'd be great if the other things were supported also :D

Just ordered the program.. wondering what i can do with it :)
Image
User avatar
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 2060
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:11 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
x 4
Contact:

Post by Falagard »

That's really damn cool.

Just an FYI that with the GOOFEditor I know that external terrain generation packages like Freeworld will have better support for generating terrains than I will ever be able to do, so I'm fully supporting certain external terrain tools, with preference for Freeworld because it's so cool.
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by IFASS »

Falagard wrote:That's really damn cool.

Just an FYI that with the GOOFEditor I know that external terrain generation packages like Freeworld will have better support for generating terrains than I will ever be able to do, so I'm fully supporting certain external terrain tools, with preference for Freeworld because it's so cool.
Yup, and pretty cheap compared to other packages :)
Maybe we could get them to integrate some more ogre features.. bet more ogre users will buy it then.
Image
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

Better support for paging terrains is an obvious feature request. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by IFASS »

jacmoe wrote:Better support for paging terrains is an obvious feature request. :)
What about setting up a small list of 'highly desired' requests :)
Image
soconne
Kobold
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:05 am

Post by soconne »

I am always very motivated by user requests for new features and how to make Freeworld3D easier to use and integrate into existing engines. So please, any suggestions are more than welcome.
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by IFASS »

soconne wrote:I am always very motivated by user requests for new features and how to make Freeworld3D easier to use and integrate into existing engines. So please, any suggestions are more than welcome.
You are the developer of Freeworld?

yeah, i think it's good to set up a list of features which would be really helpful, bet the app will be used a lot more by ogre users then!
Image
soconne
Kobold
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:05 am

Post by soconne »

Yes, I am the developer.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

Very cool that you are frequenting the Ogre community, soconne! :D

@IFASS and other FreeWorld3D users:
We should use the FreeWorld3D Forum ! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
soconne
Kobold
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:05 am

Post by soconne »

Well I find the Ogre engine to be one of the best designed open source engines out there :-)
User avatar
d3th_n1gG4
Gnome
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:32 am
Location: Durban, South Africa, No London, wait, where?
Contact:

Post by d3th_n1gG4 »

Well I just started playing with it tonight & am solidly impressed, kudos, when is version 2.1 coming out at that imposter stuff is something I really need
The cow it goes: "Shjazooo!"
Post Reply