Help exporting anim from maya 7

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
Ville
Gnoblar
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:50 pm

Help exporting anim from maya 7

Post by Ville »

hey everyone!

I'm working in a project as character animator/rigger/modeller and I'm having some problems exporting from maya 7.
Oh, I'm new here BTW, but I've checked every topic regarding maya so far...

the thing is, I got my exporter to work, it exports nicely, but If I select a clip in the ogre UI, my xml converter crashes when converting the .skeleton file, and now I can't export animation....

Can anyone help me?

PS: When I saw what Ogre is capable of I was sttuned! great job, people!
User avatar
ChrisB
Gnoblar
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:02 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by ChrisB »

i don't fully understand your problem, i always to the following (with success):

bake the animation

export mesh and skeleton as binary as well

creating the clips and defining the frames

export



i never experienced problems when doing that.
Now you are free,
free to roam in the skies,
now and then visit me,
with your starlit eyes
Ville
Gnoblar
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:50 pm

Post by Ville »

thanks man!

I'll try this as soon as I can!
Ville
Gnoblar
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:50 pm

Post by Ville »

Ok, tried it, but the thing now is that I'm not I'm baking the animation corectly. Could you (or anyone) please share your workflow for this?

thanks again!
joi
Gnome
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:11 pm
Location: brazil

Post by joi »

Maybe this might help you out, Rixeh made a couple of VTM's on how to animate and export to maya. check it out;

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... maya+video

The videos from the first post are offline, but if you scroll down the page, DrPain made some mirroring...

Good luck!
maya 7.0, vs 2005, ogre 1.2
Ville
Gnoblar
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:50 pm

Post by Ville »

Great, man, thanks a lot!

The mirrors (3 e 4 at least) are not working, but the main links are back on!
Rixeh
Greenskin
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:36 am

Post by Rixeh »

Hope you like them! :) I think I'll make another series pretty soon on basic character animation like walkcycles etc.
Ville
Gnoblar
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:50 pm

Post by Ville »

They were great!!

The exporter problem I had was solved (it was the shading group thing, hehe), and I got a lot of usefull tips out of the others, thanks man!

One thing, when you freeze transform the local rotation axis, don't they get all funky? I usually freeze transform before ajusting'em, but I've never realy tried it otherwise...
Post Reply