How to make a model in 3dsmax with SubEntities?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
User avatar
gerds
Goblin
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:59 am
Location: London, United Kingdom
x 1

How to make a model in 3dsmax with SubEntities?

Post by gerds »

I've spent some time trying to work out how to make a model (any model) in 3dsmax with named subentities and I just can't figure it out.

Basically I want to be able to turn pieces of the model on and off by the part name using something like getSubEntity("head")->setVisible(false).

Can someone explain how to do this, or post an example of any .max model that has named subentities.

The problems I'm having are:
- When I select a mesh to export in max it wont let me select the "whole model", I'm forced to select only part of the model.
- I've tried to create a dummy point, and "link" all the parts to that point but you can't select a point to export.
- I've tried grouping the parts but that doesn't have any effect either, I still have to select one part of the mesh to export from.

Is this a limitation of the 3dsmax exporter?
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

Use my work-in-progress plugin exporter at

http://www.clashofsteel.net/xavier/OgreExporter.dle

It will appear in the File-->Export and File-->Export Selected menus.

It's the only exporter right now that will export multiple submeshes into a single file. Neither the MaxScript exporter nor the oFusion plugin will do that.
User avatar
gerds
Goblin
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:59 am
Location: London, United Kingdom
x 1

Post by gerds »

Thanks a heap :)

I just tried it on this machine (with Max 5.1) and it woudln't load (wrong version of max it thinks).

Does the plugin only work for Max 6/7/8?
If so I'll give that a try later in the day when I can get access to a Max 8 licence.
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

Good point...I do believe that the Max 7 SDK that I was using only works with 6/7/8. Good for me to find out that it doesn't work with 5.x as suspected, but bad on your end. :(
User avatar
Corben
Halfling
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:57 pm
Location: Italy

Post by Corben »

AFAIK assigning different materials to the parts of the mesh creates the submeshes with the exporter... But then I don't know how to give them the names you want!

Anyway investigate this solution! :)
User avatar
gerds
Goblin
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:59 am
Location: London, United Kingdom
x 1

Post by gerds »

Oh my, I can't thank you enough.

I tried your exporter with 3dsmax8 and it worked first time :)

I created a signal entity with multiple lights on it (ie: parts)
and I'm able to turn the parts on and off using the part namings
in the 3dsmax model.

Should this exporter be added to the ogre downloads page?
It is extremely useful, certainly our project cannot use ogre
without it (changing from 3dsmax to something else is not feasible).

Thanks again :)
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

It will replace the MaxScript exporter once it's done; that will be once it supports all of the animation types (including pose animation). The material and mesh stuff is pretty much done, though. I'm glad you found it useful, though; that's impetus to keep working on it. :)
User avatar
gerds
Goblin
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:59 am
Location: London, United Kingdom
x 1

Post by gerds »

How far off is this exporter from being added to ogre?

I've noticed the exported texture coordinates are kind of screwed with the models I am trying. Also I need to be able to export entities with named parts that use basic animation.

If you've got a work in progress version I'd be happy to give it a go ;)

D-day is approaching quickly for the project I'm working on, so if I can't get ogre working very soon, I'm going to have to use something else :(
User avatar
gerds
Goblin
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:59 am
Location: London, United Kingdom
x 1

Post by gerds »

Are there other ways around my 3dsmax problems?

Something like... save it as a .3ds file, load it in to milkshape, and use the milkshape exporter (does that work with named parts and animations?)
Post Reply