Priorities?

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
chameleon
Gnoblar

Priorities?

Post by chameleon »

Assuming you had an applicant with the technical chops to do whatever was needed, what sort of project would you want them work on?

Tweaks to the rendering pipeline?
A suite of spiffy demos?
Documentation?
Lee04
Minaton

Post by Lee04 »

Hi

I think all the things you list are important.
But thats just me, I don't know how this works does every open source project get a budget or is it limmitless founding as long as we can find good students?
Ph.D. student in game development
Xorekis
Gnoblar

Re: Priorities?

Post by Xorekis »

chameleon wrote:Assuming you had an applicant with the technical chops to do whatever was needed, what sort of project would you want them work on?
Ok, this is sort of a silly question to me. Either you have a project you are working on or you don't.

If you have a project, then you know where you need the help, so you would look for an applicant to fill in that role.

If you do not have a project, why are you even looking at an applicant?

I think you need to make some decisions first about your own project, before trying to decide where to use somebody else.
Lizard Rules:
1) The Lizard is mentaly unstable..
2) When the Lizard is mentaly stable, see rule number 1!!!
3) If I don't ask basic questions about Ogre, then I don't know what I need to progam.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Hi Xorekis! Long time, no see! :)

I think the question is the opposite of silly. He's offering his help, expertise and time! And he wants to help out where it is needed the most!
What more can you ask for? :)

Personally, I'd like to see a portal based scenemanager with paging capabilities. :P
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
reimpell
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Re: Priorities?

Post by reimpell »

chameleon wrote:Tweaks to the rendering pipeline?
A suite of spiffy demos?
Documentation?
According to the SoC FAQ, documentation projects will not be funded by Google. My personal opinion is that tweaks to the rendering pipeline have a greater impact on OGRE than spiffy demos.
Xorekis
Gnoblar

Post by Xorekis »

Heya jacmoe, yeh, I'm back. (dunno if thats a good thing, or a bad thing yet. :lol: )

Who's offering his help? Chameleon or the unamed applicant?

To me, it looked like an unamed applicant was offering to help Chameleon, but for what? Chameleon is asking the Ogre community where they should use the person.

Ah well, I'm not trying to create an argument.

@Chameleon

Just use the person where you need the most help. You know your project and where you need the most help more than us.
Lizard Rules:
1) The Lizard is mentaly unstable..
2) When the Lizard is mentaly stable, see rule number 1!!!
3) If I don't ask basic questions about Ogre, then I don't know what I need to progam.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

I read this as a query about the SoC given it's location in the forum - I think you read this out of context Xorekis.

There is a list of project ideas which is linked in this forum, on the news posting, and on our Summer of Code organisation entry at Google's site. Please read that and our guidance page.