[submitted] More shadow examples

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
Znah
Gnoblar

[submitted] More shadow examples

Post by Znah »

Hi!

Not so much time left until the deadline for students' proposals, but I hope this would be enough for me to write one or two... :?

After couple days and nights of meditating on Ogre's src, wiki, manuals, api refs and crawling the net I found, that among the available ideas there are two especially interesting for me: implementing custom shadow casting methods and procedural geometry.

Both topics require a lot of additional study to make an approximate project schedule and deliverables.

Here are some thoughts about each topic.

Shadow examples:
There seems to be a lot of interesting shadow approaches in the net. Currently I have read a bit about PCF and PSM. There are a lot of things to study more. Also I think I have general understanding of how ogre's shadow system works.

Procedural geometry:
It is also a great topic. A few month ago a glanced over a book called "The algorithmic beauty of plants". I liked it much and decided to study the subject more carefully. SoC is a good opportunity for this.
Also a demo generator which I found from ogre's ideas page impressed me much. It worth to think about a way to describe geometry generation on some language (may be XML-based). It must be similar to the method used at http://www.theprodukkt.com/, i.e. construction of complex objects from simpler ones but a set of basic transformations.

Also I put some information about my previous experience here to "sell myself" :)

oh... constructive feedback is highly appreciated
Last edited by Znah on Sun May 07, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

<OffTopic>
Please, don't double-post ;)

*deleting your other post...
</OffTopic>
Znah
Gnoblar

submitted!

Post by Znah »

Kencho wrote: Please, don't double-post ;)
sorry, just my inattention

Finally I submitted my proposal about shadows to google.
Also it can be found here.
BlasterN
Gnome

Post by BlasterN »

A few ideas, i know you submitted the projects but maybe it's interesting.
- Shadows for alpha textures.
- Save shadow data (not in a lightmap something like a memory dump reusable), This could be great for static geometry.
- Update only shadows of movable objects

PT: "memory dump reusable" I think you can imagine the meaning and find the perfect sentence in english because I couldnt. I'm spanish :?
Works:
MapToMesh | Bengine B9 @ www.sourceforge.net/projects/maptoogremesh/
3DWorldStudio exporter@ www.blastern.info
Olex
Hobgoblin

Post by Olex »

BlasterN wrote:- Save shadow data (not in a lightmap something like a memory dump reusable), This could be great for static geometry.
- Update only shadows of movable objects
Yeah! I want those features like a dead man! It would be awesome to update shadows only when needed per object, or even save a shadow info for objects, and reuse it in the next frame(s).
Znah
Gnoblar

Post by Znah »

Reusing shadow maps rendered in prevoius frames must be a good idea, but I don't think I currently know OGRE internals enough to make plans about making changes there. Only fixing minor bugs if any...
"memory dump reusable" I think you can imagine the meaning and find the perfect sentence in english because I couldnt. I'm spanish
My english is not perfect also, I'm russian :)
Znah
Gnoblar

small update

Post by Znah »

I forgot to post my updated proposal into thit thread. It can be found here
It was submitted at May, 8.
Here is my first attempt to implement depth shadow maps. I've made it before submitting the proposal update and unfortunately didn't have enough time to improve it since then.

Also I'll post a list of papers I'm going to use here soon.
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Here is my first attempt to implement depth shadow maps. I've made it before submitting the proposal update and unfortunately didn't have enough time to improve it since then.
Ooh fancy! I'm very interested in seeing depth shadow maps in Ogre :-)
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

here's an interesting one. Light space perspective shadow mapping
http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/vr/lispsm/

source code/shaders and exe too