Converting universal .map files to Ogre

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
Paganwarriior
Gnoblar
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 4:30 pm

Converting universal .map files to Ogre

Post by Paganwarriior »

Hi!

I have many map files, I created with GTKRadiant. Buildings, etc. Can I convert this to Ogre .mesh format? Any tool, idea?
Maybe a stupid question, I'm very newbie :)


Thanks for any reply!
User avatar
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
x 8
Contact:

Post by haffax »

Ogre can use BSP, so converting the maps to bsp is one way. Another one is to use a map2mesh converter like the one mentioned here: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 268#128268

Note, that we don't support JMap2Mesh anymore. You are on your own, when you want to use it. It works, but you have to know how to operate java on the command line.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
Paganwarriior
Gnoblar
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 4:30 pm

Post by Paganwarriior »

Thanks, I try it.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

BlasterN is doing some excellent work in this area - too bad it doesn't get much attention, because it is a very cool project:
BEngine b8 :)

In case you miss this: he wrote a Hammer/Worldcraft map to OGRE converter tool. With a framework to go along with it. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
BlasterN
Gnome
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:07 am
Location: Spain
Contact:

Post by BlasterN »

You can use it to transform the .map into ogre mesh.
And with a little tweak in the map you can transform the normal entities in the Bengine entities.

I have to solve two mains problems in Bengine now.
- low fps, I think its becacause I made too submeshes in the exporter and bad culling in ogre.
- Dont have real maps (big ones) to test. I try DaveJ maps (in the readme you have the url) and work but with low fps and no entities.

But the real problem now is time I have now is that I'm writing the story of the game, and the exams so I dont have time to develop it. But I have my .plan for summer include: Physics and all entities needed for 2 gameplays: FPS and 3rd person shooters. You can switch the gameplays with a #define.

Enjoy the exporter. And if You have any questions feel free to ask!
Remember if you do a new entity you have to share the code.

@haffax
The problem with that exporter is that dont generate materials and dont parse the mesh into the entities. That's why I decide to write a new one.

@jacmoe :oops:
thx
btw: I made a little shoot game like time crisis, only one map using Opcode I will show u soon when have time to finish it.
Works:
MapToMesh | Bengine B9 @ www.sourceforge.net/projects/maptoogremesh/
3DWorldStudio exporter@ www.blastern.info
User avatar
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
x 8
Contact:

Post by haffax »

BlasterN, I wasn't aware of your project. Sounds good, and since it is actually supported, I will recommend it in situations as this. :)

We didn't do entity/material conversion, because we didn't need it. Now we use Blender for mapping anyway, so we removed JMap2Mesh from our repos (hence the old revision to be used.)
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by IFASS »

hey blasterN

I was wondering, we have a mapper who prefers to use Worldcraft. So i immediatly thought about this thread ;)

anyway, i'm wondering. Would it be possible to export to oFusion's OSM + ogre's meshes + materials in the future?
Image
User avatar
BlasterN
Gnome
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:07 am
Location: Spain
Contact:

Post by BlasterN »

I never see the a single OSM File. Because I have my own pipeline and I use 3DSMAX only for model complex things like trees, characters, weapons, and some props.
I will take a look and I answer tomorrow, Remember that you can only have Geometry and cant support the names per object and I'm sure that you need it.

Here is my todo list.
Physics (first choose one ^^)
- NXOgre
- OgreNewt
- OgreOde
- Opal

Physics needs: trimesh collision, ray colllions.
Use LOD 1 for physics simulations if it's available.

Entities.
@add
- Static Geometry.
- Physic Geometry.
- Cube Map
- Water
@remove
- Wall

Game
- 3rd person
- fps
- free move (developers view)
- Slowmotion-stop

Console.
- diferent logs level in console.
- Warnings
- Output options (usefull for cubemaps or tweak entities)

Exporter.
- Optimze export of submeshes with same material.
- Command: -ForceEntities. No export map geometry, force entity geometry that improve performance using static geometry.
Works:
MapToMesh | Bengine B9 @ www.sourceforge.net/projects/maptoogremesh/
3DWorldStudio exporter@ www.blastern.info
User avatar
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 7157
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
x 538

Post by Kojack »

OSM is basically the same as dot scene, but different. :)
It's an xml format for placing meshes and stuff.

Code: Select all

<oe_scene>
    <sceneManager type="0" />
    <bkgcolor r="0" g="0" b="0" />
    <lightColor r="0.5" g="0.5" b="0.5" />
    <shadowTechnique type="0" tex_size="512" tex_count="1">
        <color r="0" g="0" b="0" />
    </shadowTechnique>
    <entities>
        <entity name="s1_entity" hidden="false" filename="s1.mesh" CastShadows="yes" ReceiveShadows="yes">
            <position x="-90.4059" y="-2.95203" z="-1.29037e-07" />
            <rotation x="-0.707107" y="0" z="0" w="-0.707107" />
            <scale x="1" y="1" z="1" />
        </entity>
        <entity name="s02_entity" hidden="false" filename="s1.mesh" CastShadows="yes" ReceiveShadows="yes">
            <position x="27.1225" y="-2.95203" z="-1.29037e-07" />
            <rotation x="-0.707107" y="0" z="0" w="-0.707107" />
            <scale x="1" y="1" z="1" />
        </entity>
    </entities>
</oe_scene>
User avatar
BlasterN
Gnome
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:07 am
Location: Spain
Contact:

Post by BlasterN »

Looks easy to implement. I will support it, but like I say, only geometry right now.
Lights and other things maybe in future versions. for example: I extend Light to make flickering lights and candles that OSM dont have so I have to take a deep look of my entities or maybe make a .fgd compatible with .OSM I have to think about it.

I have exams now. I will finish 9 Jun. So around 12-13 I will have and upated version of the exporter or maybe before.

@IFASS
When it's done i send you a PM to test it.
Works:
MapToMesh | Bengine B9 @ www.sourceforge.net/projects/maptoogremesh/
3DWorldStudio exporter@ www.blastern.info
Post Reply