Final (I think) projects announced

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Final (I think) projects announced

Post by sinbad »

Pending acceptance by the students concerned (some students applied to more than one organisation), the Summer of Code list has been finalised.

Congratulations to the successful applicants who were:

- Jean-Baptiste Griffo: Instancing, Crowd Rendering [confirmed] mentor: tuan kuranes
- Hamilton Chong: Extending, Demo-ing, and Documenting the Shadow Mapping System [confirmed] mentor: sinbad
- Wael el Oraiby: Scene Management [confirmed] mentor: tuan kuranes
- Lois Desplat: Tool for one-step solution for artists [confirmed] mentor: sinbad
- Vladimir Sukhoy: RmOgreExporter (v2), FxOgreExporter [confirmed] mentor: reimpell
- Mats Leksell: Billboard Clouds [confirmed] mentor: Lioric

If any one of these students doesn't confirm their willingness to start their project with us, we will obviously consider alternatives from our list, but I'd treat this as an outside chance.

Comiserations to those whose applications were not accepted - we had a lot of very good applications and it was tough to choose between them. We had 57 applications in total and only 6 that we could accept, so we had a lot of whittling down to do. We'd be glad if students who were not sponsored by Google this year carried on with their projects anyway, if they have the time, since there were plenty of other projects in the list we'd love to see happen - we just didn't have the luxury of picking them all.

Here's to an interesting summer :)
Last edited by sinbad on Wed May 24, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
the_cX
Halfling

Post by the_cX »

*sigh.

but congratulations to those that were picked. :)
pxL
Gremlin

Post by pxL »

Congratz indeed :wink:
Frenetic
Bugbear

Re: Final (I think) projects announced

Post by Frenetic »

sinbad wrote: - Wael el Oraiby: Scene Management
Here's to an interesting summer :)
The "Scene Management" project... is that the one here?

If so, I'll be very interested to see how that turns out. The project sounds tremendously ambitious, but will meet a lot of needs I've seen expressed on these forums and elsewhere.
VasiliiGustelev
Gnoblar

ahh... my heart is broken

Post by VasiliiGustelev »

I will pray if in last day there'll be one place for me.

If not - i will have time to finish my ogre-game and release it to community.
VasiliiGustelev
Gnoblar

question

Sinbad, i don't see anyone, working on projects, which i've choosed in my proposals. I've started working on emulateLesserHardware() week ago, can i finish this anyway?

With who can i talk about it?
BenO
Goblin

Post by BenO »

to my mind, u are strongly encouraged to finish it ^^
The whole community is at ur disposal.

Do u need specific help ?
Benjamin RIGAUD
Software Engineer
VasiliiGustelev
Gnoblar

2BenO

BenO, Ye, i need specific help. Main thing, what i need - is keeping in my mind, what someone needs it.

I think, at next sunday i will have somethink working.

Thank you.
juozasg
Kobold

Post by juozasg »

Congrats to the lucky ones. I will continue on my own at less exciting pace.
posixninja
Gnoblar

Post by posixninja »

indeed congrats, of corse there's always next year... or the year after that.. or the next.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Yes, as I said there were plenty of projects would we would love to see done anyway, we could easily have accepted more if we had been allowed. As it stood, and as you can probably tell from the above list, out of the top 12-15 or so applications we ended up with we placed core enhancements (particularly the more complex ones) and tools support top of our list in the end, since both have the the greatest benefit for the community.

I've edited the above list to show which projects have been confirmed as going ahead - just waiting for 2 students to respond now.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

All projects are truly great! :)

But the last one - Billboard Clouds! :D

Finally! After harping on about this, I am happy that someone is willing to put this into OGRE practice! :)
(xadeck, the author of the billboard clouds paper, is a member of the OGRE community ...)

This is generally exciting and useful, but I think the Mesh Tree project will benefit from it especially! (Yes, Sputnick: I didn't forget!) :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Crashy
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Crashy »

I confirm for myself, if it is the right way to do :)
Follow la Moustache on Twitter or on Facebook
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

@Crashy: would have preferred an email back, but that will do ;) Your mentor is tuan, hopefully he'll be in touch directly soon.
Crashy

Post by Crashy »

Yeah he's already sent me an email :)
Follow la Moustache on Twitter or on Facebook
Tocs1001
Halfling

Post by Tocs1001 »

:( my cloud class will become obsolete =(, Owell it'l be better than mine :lol:
http://home.fuse.net/Dragonstorm/ParticleCloud.jpg

its adjustable size, adjustable colors, and its done with bill boards... but on the bad side its graphics card unfriendly make a better one yey!
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Tocs1001, that's not what billboard clouds are for. Billboard clouds dissect complex geometry into a bunch off billboards, which serve as impostors of parts of this geometry. Advantage over simple one-billboard-impostors is, that they stay closer to the original geom, when the view angle varies.

So, your example is not outdated. :) (Btw, I learned about it just yet.)
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Oops. :oops:

I've just been informed in the admins mailing list that I was supposed to wait for Google to make the final announcement. They apparantly run a duplicate checker first to ensure that no student has more than one application approved and do a final Google approval check. That wasn't made clear at all so I thought we were done. To be honest much of the procedure was extremely vague, I hope they clear this up next time.

So, hold on a few more hours, this might not be the final final position :? I still highly doubt any student listed will lose their place (our numbers have been approved) unless they choose to, but I'll let Google do the final rubber stamping.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Yeah, as much as I am grateful for this whole SoC, the project management is sure lacking. (Having followed all the admin-list conversation.) I also got the impression that Greg Stein's final meant final. So, definitly not your fault here, Sinbad. :)
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but the second student (Hamilton Chong) doesn't have a mentor?

@sinbad,
The number of slots given by Google (Ogre got 6) - does it depend on the Google's generosity or other factors - such as the number of mentor?
DasGurke
Halfling

Post by DasGurke »

- Lois Desplat: Tool for one-step solution for artists [confirmed] mentor: sinbad
Interesting! If you could do that *dream* ...
Lee04
Minaton

Post by Lee04 »

Oops.
I know! It happened too me as well before, this Google Summer of code is hard too follow sometimes.

I am sorry that my projects I was suppose to mentor didn't make it.

Lee04
Ph.D. student in game development
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Ok, the above projects are definitely, definitely confirmed now. No changes were needed and all students have confirmed. I have a bit of admin setup to do in the forums and CVS now, but the light is definitely green. :)

@syedhs: I just didn't fill in the rest until the student confirmed, which Hamilton has now. As for the project allocation, it's proportional to the number of applications you get, bounded by the number of applications your mentors can handle. So Apache got 25 for example ;) Our allocation was right in the average bracket since there were 636 projects approved over 100-odd organisations.

@Lee04: yes, the irony of the fact that I berated you for contacting students too early and then ended up doing the very same myself is not lost on me ;) Apologies for flying off the handle earlier, I see how easy that mistake was to make now.

@DasGurke: the intention of this project is to bring XSI support up to the level of oFusion. I'll be posting projects pages on the wiki later.