Global - screen shots

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
slog
Gnoblar

Global - screen shots

Post by slog »

Hi all,

I'ld like to share the first images of our RTS - "Global". We are putting the finishing touches on the gameplay and are about to start the polishing phase.

The globe is rendered using a custom SceneManager and uses compressed Nasa satellite imagery to create the required detail. (Similar to Google Earth and Worldwind).

Uber
Halfling

Post by Uber »

looks awesome keep it up!
crno_srce
Gnoblar

Post by crno_srce »

I like your moxy, kid...

It's looking great! I look forward to being able to play it. When might it be ready?
onyxOne
Gnoblar

Very impressive

Post by onyxOne »

I'm particularly impressed by the 3D engine you are using for this. It looks almost as if I'm hovering in space; miles above the surface of the Earth!
No doubt you had some resident genius behind the scenes working on this.... it's amazing what programmers can do these days, working with just a keyboard, a mouse and their grey matter to produce amazing artistic creations. Sure, they are often hard characters to deal with, but the results are always worth it.
I'm really looking forward to this game!
Wretched_Wyx
Orc

Post by Wretched_Wyx »

Very clean looking... This has my eye for sure, as I'm a fan of the RTS genre and am sick of seeing the same thing with modified graphics and different names. The only thing I'm curious about is more details. With the game coming so soon, I though for sure I would be reading for a good while about gameplay dynamics, features, etc. But there is just a very basic overview.

Are details coming soon? I would assume with a small team these kind of things aren't that high on the priority list. Still, it would definitely help with the hype (or rather marketing) leading up to the release.

I also found a number of spelling errors or typos on the website, although this could simply be translational disfunctions on my end- I'm American, and it appears your team is Australian :P. I'm not wanting to sound like a nit-picker, just thought I'd point it out in case whoever was in charge of the website hadn't caught it yet.

Like I say I'm looking forward to Global, and would really like to read more details!

onyxOne wrote:I'm particularly impressed by the 3D engine you are using for this. It looks almost as if I'm hovering in space; miles above the surface of the Earth!
[sarcasm]
I'm going to take a HUGE guess, and say that Global is being powered by Ogre for rendering... But that's just a guess. 8)
[/sarcasm]

Er... Sorry onyx, were you referring to their custom SceneManager?
Captain Nemo
Greenskin

Post by Captain Nemo »

That looks very promising.
http://www.aridocean.com
The Marine Life Simulation
Kezzer
Orc

Post by Kezzer »

Wretched_Wyx wrote:
onyxOne wrote:I'm particularly impressed by the 3D engine you are using for this. It looks almost as if I'm hovering in space; miles above the surface of the Earth!
[sarcasm]
I'm going to take a HUGE guess, and say that Global is being powered by Ogre for rendering... But that's just a guess. 8)
[/sarcasm]

Someone was going to say it, 'cause if you didn't, I would have ;)

But yes, looking very nice indeed :)
raicuandi
Gargoyle

Post by raicuandi »

Wretched_Wyx wrote:
[sarcasm]
[/sarcasm]

Kezzer wrote:Someone was going to say it, 'cause if you didn't, I would have Wink

But yes, looking very nice indeed Smile
Uuuu... watch it Wretched_Wyx and Kezzer, 'cuz Jerki is gonna be mean to us!! My ass is shakin' of fear...
Last edited by raicuandi on Mon May 29, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerky
Orc Shaman

Post by Jerky »

Very cool looking. Reminds me of Risk. Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
slog
Gnoblar

Post by slog »

Thanks for the feedback Wyx and the heads up about the website.

The team reached the point last week where we had cracked the major problems standing between us and completion and so for the first time are confident that we will have a playable demo by August. This post is the first step in putting it out there.

I fear that Onyx may in fact be the "difficult to work with", "genius" programmer patting himself on the back. An ugly incident in any culture. Still you have to admire the quality of his work.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Looking great :)
My only suggestion, try to add some gradients or other mechanisms so that the pie-charts aren't in a solid colour. It's kinda difficult to read them when you look at them obliquely ;)
Jerky
Orc Shaman

Post by Jerky »

raicuandi wrote:Uuuu... watch it Wretched_Wyx and Kezzer, 'cuz Jerki is gonna be mean to us!! My ass is shakin' of fear...
I hope you are not wasting space in yet another thread, please take it somewhere else.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

raicuandi wrote:Uuuu... watch it Wretched_Wyx and Kezzer, 'cuz Jerki is gonna be mean to us!! My ass is shakin' of fear...
Jerky wrote:I hope you are not wasting space in yet another thread, please take it somewhere else.
Please, don't hijack this thread with any quarrel, okay?
luckless666
Halfling

Post by luckless666 »

Wow, I like this. Yeah more detail is a must! What are the game mechanics? It says on the web page that its a macro management approach to warfare so give us an example of a typical scenario that a player may come across in the process of playing it. I look forward to playing with this one.
Last edited by luckless666 on Mon May 29, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Walker
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Looking pretty sleek, I'll be looking out for this one.
Wretched_Wyx
Orc

Post by Wretched_Wyx »

slog wrote:Thanks for the feedback Wyx and the heads up about the website.
Most definitely- I bookmarked the site and will check it periodically. I guess I should have asked about the timeframe though, it says something like "planned to be released in June 2006". So I was going by that, thinking "Hey... June is next month. Another commercial game coming that uses Ogre and looks sweet!".
slog wrote:I fear that Onyx may in fact be the "difficult to work with", "genius" programmer patting himself on the back. An ugly incident in any culture. Still you have to admire the quality of his work.
Onyx, you sneaky little devil you 8)... That thought had crossed my mind, but I thought "Nah, people don't do those kind of things on Earth...". At any rate, keep us updated with screens and progress if its feasible. Not that you wouldn't anyhow :).
crno_srce
Gnoblar

Post by crno_srce »

slog wrote:I fear that Onyx may in fact be the "difficult to work with", "genius" programmer patting himself on the back. An ugly incident in any culture. Still you have to admire the quality of his work.
I fear that Onyx is the result of me telling my mates to go check out something I worked on :-) He's just taking the p*ss...

I hadn't seen it in a while and was happy to see it's made some nice progress. Also, the website said "June 06" so I'm glad slog got on and told us its projected release date.

It was satisfying to work on a project for such a unique idea. I hope the game will turn out to play the way I imagined it would :-)

Thanks Slog, and keep it regular!
slog
Gnoblar

Post by slog »

Spured on by the enthusiasm for more info I have updated the website with details about the gameplay. For those interested please check it out:
http://www.moxy.com.au/gameplay.html
Wretched_Wyx
Orc

Post by Wretched_Wyx »

Very cool. You guys have some great gameplay concepts. Definitely seems you aim to put some new twists on the "strategy" element of RTS. Keep up the good work! It seems this will be a gem once it's all "prettied" up, even now it looks visually appealing.
Kezzer
Orc

Post by Kezzer »

Did you make the concept art? It's awesome
code | blog
jacmoe wrote:MMORPG good. :o
Xavier bad. :x
slog
Gnoblar

Post by slog »

It was done by a great graphic artist by the name of Min Yum.

Unfortunately we don't have the resources at this point to do justice to the 'Alien Invasion' / 'UFO Enemy Unknown' type story that we originally had in mind.
slog
Gnoblar

Post by slog »

Hi All,

Some new screenshots for our game Global:
1. Earth now has an atmosphere which we have added to the horizon. We found that this was a good trade off between appearance, performance and gameplay.

2. Early gui art.

3. Production pipelines and inbound production.

4. Close up screen shots of Earths surface, showing LOD possible within the terrain engine.

BlasterN
Gnome

Post by BlasterN »

nice shaders!

when the Playable version?
Works:
MapToMesh | Bengine B9 @ www.sourceforge.net/projects/maptoogremesh/
3DWorldStudio exporter@ www.blastern.info
slog
Gnoblar

Post by slog »

We are aiming to begin play testing in the next fortnight.

At that point we will invite members of the community to download the game, have a play and give us their feedback and comments.
Wretched_Wyx
Orc

Post by Wretched_Wyx »

Sweet deal Slog :). Sign me up for play-testing for sure. Well, I don't mean "sign me up" literally, I'm assuming it will be a public download for the play-test?

Can't wait to check this bad-boy out! I was actually going to PM you the other night and ask about progress on Global.