can I use a blender mesh for a level?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
Skapie
Gremlin
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:59 pm

can I use a blender mesh for a level?

Post by Skapie »

Hi,
I only want one level in my project and it won't be very big, can I use a mesh created in blender and export it to ogre and then use it as my level design? I must admit I haven't researched level design in detail yet so I might be asking stupid questions.
The other thing is that I want my level to be very interactive. Imagine a room for example with soft squishy cushions padded all around and when you walk on it or into a wall it should contract. So I would imagine I need a structure with a few vertices and not just 4 vertices (one on each corner = a floor). Don't worry on how I'm going to implement it, just imagine that's what I'm aiming for.

Anyway, I read somewhere that a mesh can't be used as a level or something like that, hence the question... :wink:
If I can, how do I go about getting it into ogre?
Thanks
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

Yes you can use mesh for levels. Your best bet is then to use the Paging Scene Manager as it has a tool to cut up the mesh into chunks. Find out more in the Addons Forum (/me points up).
hike1
Greenskin
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:46 am
Contact:

Post by hike1 »

http://terrymorgan.net/download.htm

hit CTRL-F and search 'blender modeling'
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

hike1 posted a link to some killer tutorials, check it out! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Post Reply