Physical Simulation

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
aliona
Gnoblar

Physical Simulation

Post by aliona »

Hello All!

I'd like to joint OGRE project...

I am interested in physical simulation (things like fire, smoke, water, cloth etc.). I'd like to write some of this effects for big popular project.
I believe, that this effects can be simulated realistically in real time.

I'm a student of 4th course of MIPT and my speciality is physical simulation (this year I'll have a diploma, my theme is connected with simulation of gas flowing through complex structures). I'm also contributed to Step physical simulator (http://edu.kde.org/step).
I'm not yet familiar with code of OGRE, but I'm ready to do my best to deal with it.

I'd like to apply to Summer of Code with this project.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

You'll have the chance to apply once we know whether we're an approved organisation, and once the student application process starts. Applications are done through Googles SoC site when available.
aliona
Gnoblar

Post by aliona »

Thank you for reply. I know the rules of summer of code, but:
1. I wanted to know if my project is interesting and may be usefull for OGRE. And what effect is better to implement
2. Applying to Summer of Code is not my main aim, I'd like to try my self in physical simulation for real project. But with summer of code I can find mentor, who will help me to get in the code quickly and will answer to my questions. Also I wouldn't have to look for a job this summer and would have much more time for project.
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

Be aware, that OGRE is a rendering engine only, so you wouldn't integrate your physics *into* OGRE, only build it upon. There are several wrappers for the common physic engines, so this would be the design to follow. If this fits into the project focus of OGRE at all is the decision of Sinbad, but to be hornest, I doubt it would fit. But maybe I got the aim of your project proposal wrong.
aliona
Gnoblar

Post by aliona »

Hello.
Thanks for your reply.
SunSailor wrote:Be aware, that OGRE is a rendering engine only, so you wouldn't integrate your physics *into* OGRE, only build it upon. There are several wrappers for the common physic engines, so this would be the design to follow. If this fits into the project focus of OGRE at all is the decision of Sinbad, but to be hornest, I doubt it would fit. But maybe I got the aim of your project proposal wrong.
Surely simulation library will be separate entity, but wrapper to use it in OGRE will also be provided. For fire and smoke I also likely have to change rendering code. While OGRE is rendering-only engine I've seen that using it with ODE is quite common practice, and I think that proposed effects can be usable too. I'm not expert in OGRE (yet), and I can't be sure what is important to it, so I asked here.

Anyway thank you very much for attention.