Summer of Code 2007 - call for mentors

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Summer of Code 2007 - call for mentors

Post by sinbad »

Ok, so it's that time again and I've applied for OGRE to be a part of the Summer of Code 2007. The maximum number of projects we can take on depends on the number of mentors that get involved, so I thought I would put a call out now for people to indicate their interest in being a mentor. I don't see a formal mentor application process up on Google yet, I assume it will follow if / when we get approved as an organisation. But on the assumption we might get approved it would be useful to know approximate mentor numbers.

So what does it take to be a mentor? Primarily time - you'll be responsible for providing guidance and direction to students who might be learning OGRE at the same time as tackling their projects.

Another critical aspect of being a mentor is having very good communication skills. Mentoring is all about communication after all so it's no good if you're a shining genius but can't explain yourself properly ;)

Lastly, experience. In OGRE certainly, but in life and profession generally is quite important, in my opinion. You'll be giving guidance after all, and being good at advising normally comes from having been in the trenches for a while.

If you're interested in participating as a mentor, please reply to this post. I took on 2 projects last year and that was quite tight to organise at times, so it's probably best to assume one project per mentor unless you have a lot of time to give.

If you're considering being a mentor, please make sure you've signed up for a Google account so if / when this all goes ahead, it can all be handled smoothly.

Thanks!
Last edited by sinbad on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Count with me. Not sure if I'll have enough time for two, but sure I will be able to mentor one project :)

If you need something more, just ask :)
By the way, do you need my Google account now? If so, I can pm it to you.
Lioric
Google Summer of Code Mentor
Google Summer of Code Mentor

Post by Lioric »

I can take a project

Based on the last SOC, i really suggest this year, we should stablish a "communication framework" where students are requiered to participate in and with the community during the development process (put a 50/50 of code and community involvement)

As part of this, a set of defined guidelines about how they must report their progress and try to promote the early adoption of their code to speed up the dev process
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

Cannot agree more with Sinbad, 1 project is my maximum.

Agree with Lioric, "Daily report" or/and "Weekly Report" on each Soc Project Thread should be sort of mandatory, as well as release early, release often. In Soc Project submission we could add a link to an Ogre Page Describing that "Communication Framework".

Student application evaluation and sorting did also take a lot of time, so if we could find a way to filter.... maybe a "Complexity estimation" (C++ level, Graphic Level, etc...), "Required Knowledge" (CVS, ...) or something approaching could be part of project description.

That said, I do apply.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Same as last year -- interested. Do you have a tentative project list in mind?
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
steven
Gnoll

Post by steven »

xavier wrote:Same as last year -- interested. Do you have a tentative project list in mind?
Sinbad mentionned: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/HelpRequested
in this thread: Google Summer of Code 2007. Btw this thread contains also several projects ideas.
reimpell
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Re: Summer of Code 2007 - call for mentors

Post by reimpell »

sinbad wrote:so I thought I would put a call out now for people to indicate their interest in being a mentor.
I'm interested in being a mentor. It was so much fun last year, and I have use for another t-shirt :wink:.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

tuan kuranes wrote:Agree with Lioric, "Daily report" or/and "Weekly Report" on each Soc Project Thread should be sort of mandatory, as well as release early, release often. In Soc Project submission we could add a link to an Ogre Page Describing that "Communication Framework".

Student application evaluation and sorting did also take a lot of time, so if we could find a way to filter.... maybe a "Complexity estimation" (C++ level, Graphic Level, etc...), "Required Knowledge" (CVS, ...) or something approaching could be part of project description.
Weekly report the more often, please. Maybe people can't work on it everyday, and even if they do, writing a report every day seems excessive in my opinion.

I agree with the rest of the post :)
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

I'd be willing to mentor one project too.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

Looks like there are already six people (incl. Sinbad) offering to be the mentors :) Maybe we can have more projects this year compared to last year?
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

The number of mentors wasn't the problem last year. We've had more available mentors than project applications and projects we had have liked to be implemented. Google set a threshold on the number of projects allowed. Each mentoring organisation only got a percentage (+/- some voodoo value) of applications granted.
team-pantheon programmer
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Yes, I agree that it would be good to be very clear on the amount of community involvement expected this time.

I do plan to update the HelpRequested page and will be lifting some things from that thread. This week has been a bit hectic for me but I will definitely update it if we get accepted. I think there's enough there right now to show Google that there are plenty of things to be working on, plus anything students come up with.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate guys :) Here's hoping we get approved this year.
Tenttu
Halfling

Post by Tenttu »

Ogre was approved for this years SoC.

http://code.google.com/soc/
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Dang, faster than me! :P
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

Hahahaha 15 minutes late. But I believe you can do it better next year :wink:

It is a good news (expected anyway), so lets keep the ball rolling.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Yep, just checked my GMail account just now. :)

I'm refreshing the Ideas list now. Mentors, please sign up with your Google accounts at http://code.google.com/soc/mentor_step1.html

I'll do a news posting and come back with some procedural stuff later on today.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Done.

Do we mentors need to send any tax forms? I know students must, and probably you (as Ogre) as well, but what about us? :?
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Done too.
team-pantheon programmer
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Nope, I have to sort out all the tax stuff as org admin since mentor payments come through me (at least that's what happened last year). What fun!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

You're not showing up on my mentor list yet, did you check the box next to 'OGRE' in the organisations section (at the bottom of 'My Profile')
reimpell
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by reimpell »

sinbad wrote:Mentors, please sign up with your Google accounts
Done.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

sinbad wrote:You're not showing up on my mentor list yet, did you check the box next to 'OGRE' in the organisations section (at the bottom of 'My Profile')
Yep
OGRE Your Mentoring Acceptance is Pending
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Hmm, maybe Google have to accept your application first. I'll give it until they're awake in California for a while ;)