GSoC Physics and AI Module website

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
futuredib
Gnoblar

GSoC Physics and AI Module website

Post by futuredib »

Hi there!

I have created a page to keep track of my applications to the Google Summer of Code program. I have recently sent a proposal to OGRE and I have added it on my page. It would be great if you come by and leave any comments you may have so I can improve my project or answer your questions. Thank you for your help and interest.

Oh! heres the URL :arrow: http://mime.ac.labf.usb.ve/mauricio/
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Please make the proposal here in this forum. Copy/paste would be fine. This forum is where the proposals are being discussed; no offense.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

futuredib wrote:Why should OGRE, which is a graphics engine and has no actual interests in AI, get involved in this project?
Why not? This is a great chance to establish new goals for your project. Great things can be achieved, even if there weren´t our expected goals in the first time. This is a great chance for OGRE to grow in many ways, and I really think many people will be interested to participate in further advancement within the same project, I know I will.
The quote is from here: http://mime.ac.labf.usb.ve/mauricio/gso ... ce-module/
I think that the summer of code projects should focus on graphics and rendering.
Ogre is a render engine and not a game engine.
Bottom line – I don't think your suggestion is relevant. I don't agree with you that OGRE should grow in the direction you proposed.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
JohnJ
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by JohnJ »

Your submissions sounds like it would be a great addition to any game engine. The only problem is that Ogre is intentionally not a game engine, but only graphics. This means that users can use their choice of AI/sounds/physics/etc., which is really the best way to go, IMHO. Maybe you can look into submitting your proposal to an open-source game engine - that might work out.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Looking at his page, he's also submitted this to Crystal Space, which would be a much better fit since CS is intended to incorporate game engine features whilst OGRE is not.
futuredib
Gnoblar

Post by futuredib »

Actually, is just a suggestion. I know OGRE is not intended to be a game engine. I agree, that means users can us their choice of AI, but I don't think thats the best way to go, IMHO.

More and more, the engines on the market tend to incorporate AI in their project. And, like I said in my proposal, most of the users which use OGRE also need AI and Physics support in their projects, I just don't the problem of OGRE handling that too.

Again, IMHO, it would be great for it to count on a good, solid AI engine. But I understand if you think its not needed and I understand if thats not the direction you want the project to follow. Its just a proposal :D, thats what GSoC is all about.
CaseyB
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by CaseyB »

futuredib wrote:I just don't the problem of OGRE handling that too.
Personally I like the idea that the Ogre project can focus on one thing and do it better than anyone else! If they were to incorporate more and more into the project then each thing wold get less focus and not be kept up to the quality that the rendering is now. BUT I would LOVE to see an AI addon for Ogre! There was a push for OgreSteer for a while, but that seems to have died out! So I don't think that anyone would say that getting an AI engine to work cleanly with Ogre is not worth it, it's just not a good think to work into the core, which is what the GSoC is all about.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

futuredib wrote: More and more, the engines on the market tend to incorporate AI in their project. And, like I said in my proposal, most of the users which use OGRE also need AI and Physics support in their projects, I just don't the problem of OGRE handling that too.
Precisely. Game engines do include more than graphics, and there are quite a few that are in the works or at a decent maturity level which use Ogre as a graphics engine. In that paradigm physics and AI should sit side-by-side with Ogre, not inside.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

A game engine is a collaboration between systems. So what's wrong with Ogre being just one brilliant part of that system?
And the fact that many commercial game engines offer everything in a single package doesn't mean that's the way to go. We can cast a survey to know how many people finds better Windows+Firefox instead of Windows+IE ;)
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

Also I wouldn't doubt that if you cracked open many of the big engines you'll find that there is a notion of subsystems, and that graphics and physics and the like are separated in some way. The engine then sits atop them and brings them together. The difference between them and engines made with Ogre is that there engine is all wrapped in the same name, so you'd have to dig into the code to find the subsystems. Not that big of a difference, really.
futuredib
Gnoblar

Post by futuredib »

Actually, I think you are right. Thats why I called my proposal AI Module. I didnt expect to work directly on the core, I was thinking of it as an addon. Maybe like Crystal Space and CEL.