Don't you like my idea?

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
Trikko
Halfling

Don't you like my idea?

Post by Trikko »

I've make a proposal but mentors don't like it... If you ever used ogre to do some apps or game i bet you know you have to use a lot of command line tools. Every time you need to convert a mesh you need to use exporters and upgraders, and as far as i know they doesn't works for multiple files. This is very frustranting for me. My idea is to write a cross-platform visual application with plugin support to integrate all tools needed by ogre. A sort of Ogre Toolbox. It should make more confortable, easy and fast too (many command line tools take a lot of time to load/unload ogre itself every time...) and we can have a single framework that support all operations you need. We can add more useful function (for example preview meshes too see result immediatly). Moreover if you want to write a new plugin (to support a new 3d file format for example) you just need to implement a small interface... I know this seems to be a useless app, but i think it can increment a lot ogre productivity.

What do you think about it? Is it a real useful or useless app?

Thanks in advance for replies...
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

I think the rejected cause that is no competion cause to make a GUI Frontend even with mesh preview is not the aim of SoC its a way too simple and there was already a guy that make a gui for the mesh converter.
Trikko
Halfling

Post by Trikko »

Wolfmanfx wrote:I think the rejected cause that is no competion cause to make a GUI Frontend even with mesh preview is not the aim of SoC its a way too simple and there was already a guy that make a gui for the mesh converter.
I won't write a frontend to already existing tool! But a framework... By the way, no problems probably i'm wrong about its usefulness :)
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by stoneCold »

I agree with Wolfmanfx, that this project might not fit as an gSoC project, but I'd like to add that you are not tied to gSoC.
Simply start your project nonetheless, you'll see if it comes out handy and useful so you can share it back to the community.

greetings
my tweets | www.fuse-software.com | home of vektrix (Flash GUI for Ogre3D) and caspin (ActionScript 3 Virtual Machine Wrapper)
Trikko
Halfling

Post by Trikko »

stoneCold wrote:I agree with Wolfmanfx, that this project might not fit as an gSoC project, but I'd like to add that you are not tied to gSoC.
Simply start your project nonetheless, you'll see if it comes out handy and useful so you can share it back to the community.

greetings
Probably i'll do, but obviusly there is a priority on payed works :) On my spare time i'll work on it...
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

Command line can actually be more powerful because you can put them in a shell script/batch file.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

syedhs wrote:Command line can actually be more powerful because you can put them in a shell script/batch file.
For anything that doesn't require human interference to work, I definitely prefer command line tools. Even if I'm not doing batch conversions. I don't know about "can be more powerful", though, because they have different strengths. There's nothing stopping someone from making a batch-convert tool GUI, and the same for making manual modifications in command-line mode. It's just not nearly as quick and easy. ;)
Trikko
Halfling

Post by Trikko »

syedhs wrote:Command line can actually be more powerful because you can put them in a shell script/batch file.
They are slow on batch. If app is well done you need no more command line. By the way we have not to drop command line support. If this app will be plugin-driver there will be a small plugin "sdk" to interface converters with app. We can use the same "sdk" to build a generic command line tool (or we can add a switch to run the whole app as commandline or guibased), that will be more easy to integrate in script/batch file that current one becouse it will be an all-in-one commandline tool... Mantainance of this tool in this case should be more easy too that mantain many different command tools.
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

You should take a look at one of the other framework GUI editors that have been started.. GOOF Editor, Ogre Studio, etc. And look at contributing, too many tool projects, and nothing completed has always been a problem ;)
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
Trikko
Halfling

Post by Trikko »

pjcast wrote:You should take a look at one of the other framework GUI editors that have been started.. GOOF Editor, Ogre Studio, etc. And look at contributing, too many tool projects, and nothing completed has always been a problem ;)
They are editors, it's not what i mean to do :)
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

To add to this: A versatile pluggable command line tool is already in the making and will soon be published. It has tranform, info, reorganise and merge tools built-in already and provides the tool plugins with command line parsing and all the tedious things that usually gets in the way of the actual work.

To me a GUI is unimportant for this kind of tools. Imho find and xargs does a better and more versatile job at batching, than a GUI ever can.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
Trikko
Halfling

Post by Trikko »

haffax wrote:To add to this: A versatile pluggable command line tool is already in the making and will soon be published. It has tranform, info, reorganise and merge tools built-in already and provides the tool plugins with command line parsing and all the tedious things that usually gets in the way of the actual work.
Ok then! Good to know, i was waiting for it :)
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

Trikko wrote:
They are slow on batch.
How slow is slow? The only real cost is forking (and closing) the process and most of the command line job is not done in tight rendering loop, rather it is used to prepare or bake or something like that. So speed is not critical, feature is.
If app is well done you need no more command line.
Well GUI application which accomplish the same task as command line is a lot harder to code. Of course you will have to make it user friendly (and not slow), otherwise it does not give the clear advantage over command line tool.
By the way we have not to drop command line support. If this app will be plugin-driver there will be a small plugin "sdk" to interface converters with app. We can use the same "sdk" to build a generic command line tool (or we can add a switch to run the whole app as commandline or guibased), that will be more easy to integrate in script/batch file that current one becouse it will be an all-in-one commandline tool... Mantainance of this tool in this case should be more easy too that mantain many different command tools.
That is a good thought but I am not convinced :) IMHO, GUI is more appropriate for other jobs like browsing for Ogre mesh and subsequently display it. Or in Windows, you may do some shell programming which enable the special context menu for .mesh file. You right click on a mesh file, there is an option to:-
1) view
2) upgrade
3) show some useful stats such as animation state, tris # etc.
Trikko
Halfling

Post by Trikko »

syedhs wrote:...
We can close this forum thread, project is aborted! :)